This Explains why Rage Sucks on the PC?

Oh and if you are upset over consoles and want to show console gamers how dumb they are there's a pretty elegant solution that will net you lots of fun RAGE along the way.

Just buy a xim360 and let the good times roll (assuming you don't suck at FPS games on PC)

I wonder what the next QuakeCon will be like. Kyle mentioned in the Rage Sucks thread that Carmack used QuakeCon to hype the game, and did not deliver. I don't know how many people attend that event, but I'm sure many of them felt this back stab.

Sure. Right. Heard that one before, never came to pass. Turns out people like having their own computers for various reasons. Heck in general newer computer technologies don't kill off older ones. Desktops didn't kill mainframes. There are more mainframes now than when they were the only computers out there. That's not very many, but still. Laptops didn't kill desktops. They outnumber them but desktop sales are as strong as they ever were.

No, mobile gaming is not "The Future(tm)". For certain it is and will be big. People want to play games on mobile devices, and indeed have done so since the gameboy. However it isn't not going to be the only place you find games.

You can beleive what you like, but the industry I work in is moving towards it whether you like it or not. It is the future, and it is coming. The only people that will continue buying home PC's are those with questionable internet connections.

FUCK the cloud - It is NOT the future.

Mobile gaming is not the future either - how anyone can think that is beyond me - sure the hardware might become powerful in time, but the small form factor will NEVER replace a PC for complex, graphic intensive games. Mobile gaming is for 10 minute shitfests on the subway, and always will be. Fiddly, awkward controls, small screen... meh. Apples to oranges?

Consoles will dominate though, piles of shit that they are.

Carmack you hole, I will pirate this latest shitball of yours if only to see for myself how low you have fallen.

Happy I got this for free from Bethesda. :D Cant wait for the High Res textures and stuff, cus other than the graphics this game is quite fun. And I just started. Playing on my M14x, get 50 fps and up average. Feels a little jittery but it might be my shitty Razer Orochi..

I thought it was obvious this would happen when they first talked about RAGE vs DOOM, that RAGE was going to be focused on the consoles while DOOM was going to be where you were going to see them take advantage of what PC's had to offer.

Bugs and other launch problems are a different issue though, and really should have been worked out before launch. But we get this with every game; someone's rig won't run it right, at least not in the first weeks of launch. This does seem to be a significantly large group though. I have it, but haven't ran it yet. Too busy with Dark Souls.

\Doom 3 was a fine game as long as you weren't expecting it to be run and gun like the previous Dooms (but it's called Doom so...). Doom 1 and Doom 3 are my favorite single player id games no lies (wait is doom 1 even technically id?).
I agree it was a fine game, but it really wasn't a great game. It was a good-very good game, which is basically what Rage is too (bugs, aside.)

Surprised that he cares. Didn't he say a short while ago that mobile gaming is the future? He'll go where the money is.

Well, yes...if you consider something like 2005 being just a 'short' while ago. (Remember Wolfenstein on a flip phone at Quakecon?)

Aside from the low rez textures that look bad up close, what is the problem? Obviously I'd like it to be more cutting edge. I think what they did with the engine from a developer standpoint is great. I mean to be able to release a game quickly on all platforms is really nice for a developer. They just need to make sure the PC textures reflect the potential of a current higher end PC.

If you stand a distance away from a wall or sign etc, the game doesn't really look half bad. I also find it pretty fun. It's not the best game ever but it's fun to me. The shooting is very solid, but the weapon switching is console-esque if you don't use quick keys. The car combat is pretty generic but fun. i just wish you could aim instead of using a lock-on.

Anyway I find this discussion worth having, but also overblown.

To be fair, the GAME doesn't "suck" on the PC - it looks crisp and gorgeous with the right .cfg settings.

Certainly the LAUNCH sucked and there is no disputing that, but you're cutting off your nose to spite your own face if you don't experience the game on the PC simply because of launch issues.

Yes, some textures look crappy (in what game is that not true aside from Witcher 2?), but the art design and overall environmental graphics look stunning once you have applied the 8K texture forcing method and the commands that fix pop-in.

To be fair, the GAME doesn't "suck" on the PC - it looks crisp and gorgeous with the right .cfg settings.

Certainly the LAUNCH sucked and there is no disputing that, but you're cutting off your nose to spite your own face if you don't experience the game on the PC simply because of launch issues.

Yes, some textures look crappy (in what game is that not true aside from Witcher 2?), but the art design and overall environmental graphics look stunning once you have applied the 8K texture forcing method and the commands that fix pop-in.

pretty much this. i think there is a direct correlation with the amount of whinery in the past few years about video game releases to the amount of dissatifaction that the whiner has with their life.

what i'm saying it's not the game that failed,

it's you.

well, no one can be surprised. Sadly, this is to be expected in today's video game industry.

So, he knew it sucked, but sent it out the door anyway? $$$$$ - Chi ching! And some people would kiss this mans feet and claim it was a genius move.

He could fix it, but it would mean pushing the game back 6 months to a year. I'd rather have a kick ass perfect game than a lame ass piece of shit game. Regardless of when it comes out. Dick move, Carmack. Good luck putting this behind you.

Quake 2 was perhaps the last great id game. After that, it started going downhill (not to say Q3 was bad, it just wasn't up to the regular standards).

A good example of why consoles are hurting the PC market? :confused:

If this is the future of PC gaming, I don't see much point in being a high end (or moderately high end...) PC enthusiast anymore if this is the kind of games we can expect. I'm considering going outside...:eek:

I feel the same way. I play my SNES more than my PC or XBox 360 because I've become bored with all the uninteresting releases lately. Nothing new or original these days. All cookie cutter mouse acceleration narrow FOV DX9.0c WinXP based 3-6 month late consolitis charge you out the ass for day one already-on-the-disk DLC BS or No PC Port For You.

1280479359165_f.jpg

so i guess that means it's not worth me spending my XP points on https://insiders.bethsoft.com to get it free then?

Yes, because telling your readers to leave the site helps your bottom line.

So you are the kind of guy that would buy something with your hard earned money...find out it is broken (and lame when it does work) ...and let your friends buy it too because you were too scared to say a damn word. Real nice....

that's just...wow. :eek:

How good would our "bottom line" be if we continually fucked over our readers by not warning them about crap products?

Damn man, and you think WE are dicks?

Carmack said the same thing two months BEFORE Rage launched. This isn't news.

That is EXACTLY what makes this news...he knew how far ahead of time...game still ships like shit?

so i guess that means it's not worth me spending my XP points on https://insiders.bethsoft.com to get it free then?

I'd still get it for free. Those who haven't jumped on the hate bandwagon seem to enjoy it. :) I'll still buy it probably just to check it out, but sure as hell not for $60.

"PCs, although being an order of magnitude faster, still struggle to maintain framerate due to arms-length API issues":(

I don't think the API sucks up 90% of the hardware performance. Rage is programmed and optimized to run on consoles, even if it's re-compiled to make code that will run on the PC.

The fact is, this is one of the laziest efforts to port a console game to the PC. This is all the more pathetic given that Id Software is using Rage to demo their new Tech 5 engine and also given that Id Software is highly familiar with the PC.

Padding every single sentence with 'in there' or 'on there' doesn't make the shit you spew any more intelligent.

LOL I thought I was the only one that noticed that!!! That video mad my day, I'm NOT ALONE!!! :)

Were it about Kyle not liking Rage that would be one thing, that can be done in one maybe two posts if there was a follow up. Really the daily Rage hate he has posted reads more like he is still butt hurt with John and ID over Quakecon. Really if you want to make a dent Kyle, write a review and not an endless stream of OMmGzzz tehis game suxors!!!!!!11!! Until then it is pointless.

Huh? What happened at Quakecon?

Well, yes...if you consider something like 2005 being just a 'short' while ago. (Remember Wolfenstein on a flip phone at Quakecon?)

He talked about it several times - the latest being in the summer of 2009. I didn't know he started talking about it that early though.

well, no one can be surprised. Sadly, this is to be expected in today's video game industry.

yes that's very true. I have every console out there currently and a decent gaming PC. I don't mind playing games on consoles if that's what a developer wants. I'd like Rage to be better on PC, and IMO it is better than on any console. That said, I would have liked to have a little better usage of the PC's specific strengths. Especially considering ID's past history with the PC.

I guess I'll see what Battlefield 3 does to push the envelope.

So you are the kind of guy that would buy something with your hard earned money...find out it is broken (and lame when it does work) ...and let your friends buy it too because you were too scared to say a damn word. Real nice....

that's just...wow. :eek:

How good would our "bottom line" be if we continually fucked over our readers by not warning them about crap products?

Damn man, and you think WE are dicks?

That is EXACTLY what makes this news...he knew how far ahead of time...game still ships like shit?

I wouldn't say you guys are dicks, just whiners. You're posting an opinion on a hardware news site about a game that is subjective to who plays it, it's not broken for everyone and a lot of people enjoy the game, so when you and Kyle post ''Dont buy rage!!!!!!!'' at the top of the site and whine news post after news post about how you want your money back and about how you're having problems, that isn't a good thing unless it's constructive. And then when someone address that to Kyle, he throws a temper-tantrum and tells you to close out the site.

Lots of people (especially AMD owners) have been having issues with the game, so you have one of two choices, wait for some patching goodness/driver releases, or do as Kyle did, get a refund. All of that is fine, but there is no need to post your emotions all over the front page.

So true, compared to the awesomeness that was Q1, Q2, and Q3A.

QW:ET also sucked in my opinion.

Played a couple of hours of Quake a few weeks ago. Showed it to my 11 year old. He was turned off at first then got in to it.

This should not have come as a surprise to anyone. Carmack, unlike many other lead devs out there, has never spewed nonsense about their large focus on PC. I remember reading interviews years ago where he plainly said that the consoles were their primary focus because that's where the money is. Also, if anyone knows their gaming history, Carmack is an excellent engineer (I still consider him a genius in this regard), but he's a poor team leader and game designer.

I personally hold no ill will towards id because I feel they were open about their shift towards the consoles. I already planned on not buying any game of theirs until it hit a $5 - $10 sale, so I've avoided the burnt feeling. Everyone who bought Rage at $60 is either overly optimistic, or just haven't been paying attention to what's been going on. I now reserve my pre-order/full price purchases for PC exclusives (especially indies), or games I'm absolutely sure will be great, and never for $60. Skyrim for instance isn't getting a pre-order from me even though I'm expecting it to be great, I'll instead wait until it's at least 10% off. Inflation arguements be damned, my money feels as thin as ever, and overheads are lower via digital distribution.

Its really obvious but its a little touch of success and a big pile of money that makes this happen.
We make these people famous in our own minds and via outlets likes this. Romero,carmak,Cliffy B etc. Its like that Star that gets famous and forgets the "little" people
We buy the product and it makes then ass-loads so they can purchase expensive cars, get hair plugs and rent high priced call girls. They are loyal to the money. When PC was the main game in town we thought that meant to us.
But consoles now are more able to take converted PC properties. Its not just a 16bit platform anymore. Besides that "gamer" there is a vast sub-90 iq portion that loves them. that translates into market share.
So now they come to a choice. Do less work, make more $$ (%) But screw my old market OR throw every thing into development with the idea..it still might not sell.
Lets face it, standard are lower for console games. So a blah game on the PC could sell really well on a console
And we are currently in an endless circle with this.
If they make both and both sell then we just get more of the same shit.
If they make both and the PC version does not sell? we get called ungrateful or pirates (who wants to buy a shitty game?) and maybe development just goes to the console. Even bad console sales might be better then OK to good PC sales.
This gets more obvious as developers have the lack of a playable demo. Its more of a lack of faith to me.
Or these great Console shooters? throw in code that allows multi platform play. Get owned 20x by a pc users and a lightbulb might go on over your head. But the devs know that also,so why screw with a great thing.
So what do we get? Some developers who realize its an untapped market and come out with good products (valve,blizzard) but lots of failed promises from others.
But im stating the obvious and you know this

I want Kyles opinion and steves'and brents and yours (yes, you reading this). That why I come here. There is some value in everyones opinion. I would rather Save the $$ and spend it on a company that values me as a consumer. So if you think its shit tell me. i will listen,but i might not agree and that is the point in this.

If you dont then go find somewhere that will pander to you or just stop reading the forum.

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/
Noun:
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

This site hosts and releases reviews of either hardware and software, before you say something, review is an OPINION on the reviewed thing by author. They either say the cons, the pros and final statement based on their feeling from the product. Your opinion or enjoyment from the game doesn't have to correspond with the reviews at all. Although I have to say [H] is enough renowned site, and when they say something sucks, it really does, but that doesn't mean you can't like it.

PC gamers take this so hard. ID was their last bastion for PC gaming. Now that they are gone, it is time for one of you guys to pike up and create a PC only game with all the bells and whistles people want with a budget of 100m. Then after a year of release and it only makes 50m, then people will understand the economics here.

Instead of bitching over here, do one of two things:

1. Take five minutes to patch the game, your drivers, or cook up a Rageconfig.cfg using widely available settings and enjoy what becomes a damn good game.

2. Cross id off your list of developers and head over to BF3 beta Caspian Sea map.

Whichever option you chose, you'd have to shut up about the end of PC gaming because I've tried both options this weekends and I'm hugely impressed.

Back