This Copy Of Super Mario Bros 3 Just Broke A World Record As Most Expensive Game Ever Sold

erek

[H]F Junkie
"That big-money video game auction isn't even completed, either. Heritage has more rare video games on display right now on its website, and bidding will start again tomorrow, the 22nd at 1 PM Central, which is local time for Houston, or 2 PM Eastern. That session includes opened cases of unopened Atari 2600 games, a sealed copy of Super Mario World for the Super NES, and a sealed early production copy of Contra on the NES. If you're interested in getting in on the action, head on over to Heritage Auctions' listings and get ready to spend some dough."

https://hothardware.com/news/super-mario-bros-3-variant-world-record

I remember when this game came out. It was a big deal. Everyone wanted to know what Mario's costume was. When it finally did arrive, I remember seeing the front page of the local newspaper, with Mario in his fox suit.

Damn, should have kept my copy sealed and in good condition!

I remember it was a big deal in the movie The Wizard. That was the first time anyone saw Super Mario 3. As far as I know, the only time a game is introduced in a movie.

No kidding. I remember being blown away by a game that nobody had known about to suddenly be released in a movie. And as a kid just seeing the unveil with the added tension excitement to the finale, it was a brilliant move by Nintendo and the producers of that movie. I still get nostalgic about that scene.

Damn, should have kept my copy sealed and in good condition!

This is an early variant of the box art with the "Bros." moved to the left and over Mario's gloved hand before they moved it over to the center not covering anything. This wasn't just a regular SMB3 sealed box. It's unlikely that anyone actually had one of these. The same with the sealed copy of SMB1 that went for $116,000. It was a super rare early variant from when the NES was released in test markets.

And here I was happy when I found the box with my old Intellivision set & games in it and some dude from Konami USA bought one game, Congo Bongo (which was terrible,) for right around $350 a few years ago.

It was basically a 90 minute commercial for SMB3 that people paid to see. Probably the peak of Nintendo's big head days.
It also tried really hard to promote the power glove and make it seem like the most bad ass controller ever instead of the worst, they failed on that part though because even kids aren't that gullible.

Reactions: Nside
like this
It also tried really hard to promote the power glove and make it seem like the most bad ass controller ever instead of the worst, they failed on that part though because even kids aren't that gullible.
I remember that accessory. I had one, and honestly, the best game it worked with was Top Gun. Was able to rotate left and right to bank and turn, and flick fingers for guns and missiles. It did have to be recalibrated like every 15 minutes though, so it did suck quite hard.

If that is all that you think it was, then you missed the point.
Honestly, it's been decades since I've seen it. IIRC there was some 'Kingpin' -esk road trip plot wedged in there somewhere.

If that is all that you think it was, then you missed the point.
Well it was meant to be more/better but the movie was crushed with compromises.
Many YT docs on the subject. Go check them out. Cool shit for sure.

Scalpers selling an old game for an incredible mark up! This is outrageous. We should never buy above MSRP ($49.99) ever. It only encourages more of these auctions!

/s

Back