This cooler fine for normal clocked 1800+ palo?

Fryguy8

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been watercooling my 1800+ palomino for a while now, and I've been running open resevoir. My watercooling components have been getting all gunked up etc, and it's becoming more trouble than it's worth, so I think I just want to use a normal cooling unit. I'm not overclocking the processor, so would a cooler like this be fine?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-013&depa=0

And can anybody find a cooler for even less that would adequately cool the system?

I have an early palomino 1800+ and it tends to run very hot. I have an thermalright SLK-800 with an 80mm vantec stealth on it and it tends to idle around 45-50. If you spent the money on a watercooling rig, why not just get a closed resivoir and save yourself from the noise of that 60mm speeze?

because the system is seriously gunked up, and if I plan on keeping watercooling with the new a64 I'm getting somewhat relatively soon, I'm going to be replacing everything anyway.

that speeze would be ok for LIGHT overclocking that cpu - look for the thermalright ALX-800 and buy appropriate 80mm fan - cools as good if not better than the slk-800 it replaces, weighs less and is like $20 plus cost of fan ...
that should more than hold you over til you get your A64
Also, look for people upgrading their systems in the for sale/trade section here - I got my SLK-900a for a mere $20 incl shipping that way. Look around for clearance sales on the slk-800,900, etc. as Thermalright is closing those models out -

Fryguy8 said:
I've been watercooling my 1800+ palomino for a while now, and I've been running open resevoir. My watercooling components have been getting all gunked up etc, and it's becoming more trouble than it's worth, so I think I just want to use a normal cooling unit. I'm not overclocking the processor, so would a cooler like this be fine?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-013&depa=0

And can anybody find a cooler for even less that would adequately cool the system?

That Speeze cooler that you linked would be plenty for your system - especially if your not overclocking much.

Back