"This connection is Untrusted" - pops up in browser on "safe sites" - why?

I keep getting strange warnings on some forum sites and stuff like craigslist and ebay at times. You know when you go to a sire that is "untrusted" and there is a "get me out of here" button in grey and under that there is the "Technical details" text (clickable" and the "I understand the Risks" text (also clickable). I get thee when I install a new server on my LAN and I go to an admin port on that server and it says it is an unknown connection.

But what I am getting, while browsing stuff on Craigslist, like in the forsale, I click on an ad (the ad hasn't even opened yet) and it takes me to this "Untrusted connection) screen. I also get this for a number of forums from time to time. I use the same URL on one computer and it doesn't show up, but on another computer it will, both loading at the same time. Also it seems that it can vary based upon which ISP I'm connected with at the time - sometimes one will have the warning while the other doesn't, sometimes both have it.

I've suspected MITM attacks on my machine and don't know what to do about figuring that out and how to stop it.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue or point me in the correct direction?

Another thing to check is your hosts file and DNS settings. You may have a DNS hijacker installed that's causing the problem. I have seen some antivirus programs throw up that error though.

Running ubuntu 14.04 and it is doing it in firefox, chrome, chromium and midori. I haven't changed my hosts file and it doesn't look like it has been amended.

Back