This card won't work with this monitor?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I have come across a very odd situation involving my monitor and a GFX card. I hope this doesn't become too long winded.

My monitor is a 27" Asus ASUS VE278Q. When I bought it I plugged it into my HD7950 using the DVI and it worked fine. After a few years, for whatever reason I wanted to switch it to the HDMI port from the card. To my puzzlement it would not pick up the signal. I switched back to the DVI assuming the HDMI on the card or monitor was faulty and left it.

I built a new rig to replace my old one that would be hooked up to the same monitor. The GFX card in it is a HD7870. I plugged it in using the DVI. No signal. I tried with HDMI. No signal. Puzzled, I plugged it into another monitor with DVI. Worked perfect. And another monitor (projector) with HDMI. Worked perfect.
So I took the HD7870 out and put it in my OLD build. Didn't work. Extremely puzzled I put the HD7950 that worked in my old rig with the monitor, into the new rig with DVI. It works.
So apparently I have a monitor that will only work with ONE GFX card? And only with DVI.
I have never experienced anything like this before. How can it be? I have unplugged the monitor for extended lengths thinking it might be some weird PnP thing.
Any ideas folks?

I don't know. Maybe time for a new monitor?

Also, have you tried different cables?

I will try a new cable. But still in all my years I have never encountered anything as bizarre as this. What part of a fully working cable (if that is indeed the issue) with one GFX card could prevent any other card from working. Or even more bizarre, a monitor that only likes one GFX card? Like they are mating for life LOL!
I am not really expecting help on this issue. More of a, throw it out there, type deal in case there is something obvious that I am missing, or a situation someone else had to work through.

did you press the button to switch between the two or is it automatic? I have several older that don't auto-switch...

Back