This browser does not support video playback

hedron

Limp Gawd
I keep getting this error anytime I try to play a short video on twitter. This happens with all the browsers I have installed. What codec pack do I need to install?

Thanks.

According to twitter, "We currently support MP4 and MOV video formats on mobile apps. On the web, we support the MP4 video format with H264 format with AAC audio. You can upload videos up to 512MB, however you will be prompted to edit videos to 30 seconds or less in length." What version of Windows Explorer have you tried using? Are you using Win7, and if so, could it be the N or KN version? Have you done something to remove Windows Media Player?

Are you using Firefox? FF doesn't include support for h.264, despite it being the leading video codec.

:nelsonmuntz:

There are some workarounds to get it working via other installed 3rd party applications, but I don't care to look it up since I don't use FF.

Are you using Win7, and if so, could it be the N or KN version?

I'm 'murican, so I don't think I have either. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Service Pack 1

Have you done something to remove Windows Media Player?

I've never once used it. I ran it just in case the intro routine initialized something that needed to be, but I still get the same message.

Are you using Firefox?

It says the same thing in FF, IE, and Chrome.

I know it used to play videos. I can't remember what exactly happened that they no longer play.

Do all other videos on Twitter work? Do videos on Youtube work? I am wondering if that one Twitter video may simply be broken by being uploaded wrong, or by having been taken down.

I just tested IE: get the same message. Chrome: plays fine. FF: get the same message.

I found this solution which works for FF:

Type about:config

Accept the warning. In the search box type:

media.windows-media-foundation.enabled

Set its value to true by double clicking.

Then search for this one to make sure it's also set to true:
media.mediasource.enabled

Restart FF.

"media.windows-media-foundation.enabled"

That sounded promising, but it was already enabled. The problem isn't just with Firefox, it's with all my browsers. I can only assume the problem is with the codec or something along those lines.

"one Twitter video may simply be broken by being uploaded wrong"

It's only twitter videos that don't work. Youtube, liveleak, etc work fine.

i dont think i have ever even watched a twitter video.......ever lol.....am i really missing anything lol?

The difference I see between those two is that Video DownloadHelper is telling me that the first one, the Ali video, is an MP4 video, while the second one, the police video that doesn't work for you, is an HLS Streaming video in MP4 format.

This test page checks for HLS Streaming compatibility. For me, none of the videos on that page worked on Mac OS X Firefox, while they all worked on Mac OS X Safari. But the HLS streaming video you posted worked for me in Mac OS X Firefox, so I can't explain that.

Did you ever have Quicktime Player for Windows installed, and removed it recently after Apple dropped support for it?

Back