This 2600k is still lingering!!! :)

My old 2500k hit 4.9 stable on an Antec Kuhler 620 (single 120mm AIO), but I ran it at stock 99% of the time and never had an issue with it.

the folks are still running my old Q6700 after all these years.

1366 hexacore here. Longest platform I've ever been on. Broadwell-E is tempting for next year, but even then I might just hold out for Skylake-E.

Justification on a new platform right now, or maybe even when Broadwell-E comes out, will consist of a lot of looking at benchmark software and not real-life scenarios.

An upgrade to Skylake-E and either Nvidia or AMD's next gen cards for 4K gaming, and a new monitor, will probably occur in 2017 for myself.

^ That's the thing. For most people their computer usage consists of internet browsing, MS Office suite, and maybe games. I know the audience here is a little different, but there really is little to no reason for people to update more frequently. I honestly had to justify updating recently from my 1155 setup and it was more a 95% want / 5% need circumstance. Day to day operation for me is almost exactly the same aside from the larger SSD storage capacity I needed (only reason for upgrading).

Memory speed is completely transparent this day and age. There is absolutely no percievable difference in DDR3 1600 and DDR4 XYZ!

Benchmarks are foretelling but again like saying there is a difference in 150fps or 200 fps. None at these levels of human observation through our biological senses.

Memory speed is completely transparent this day and age. There is absolutely no percievable difference in DDR3 1600 and DDR4 XYZ!

You're not running things that lean on memory then. Some people do though. I was surprised by some of the loading time differences between DDR3 1333@CL6 and 2400@CL10.

I only just passed on my Q6600 to a friend, had it in a drawer on a P35 board and 8GB of DDR2 just sitting there, figured, hey, more space for socks -.-

Just sold one of my i7 1366 setups, had an i7 980x that I wasn't about to power at our condo :p I've still got an i7 950 that needs replacing soon, hoping it'll be this month or tax season at the latest. Then everything will be sandy or newer (got some ivy and sandy laptops/tablets around).

I'm running an 3770k and simply cannot justify dropping $800-$1000 on a new system. It barely breaks a sweat at anything I throw at it.

My wife and my pocket book both thank Intel for the current stagnation in CPU advancements.

Last edited:
Oddly, my mobo was somewhat wonky with USB3.0 support under Win7 (forcing me to run in Legacy 2.0 mode to avoid BSOD), but something in the native win8 drivers fixed that. Win10 fixed my DP hot plugging issues, as well. With those two issues rectified, I no longer have any functional complaints against my ~4-5 year old CPU/MB/RAM/PSU/Case/Display combo. One SSD and one GPU upgrade has sustained me thus far.

Intel's mobile focus, for me, has been countered by backward steps in mobile laptop design. I couldn't find any thin, 13" laptops with a dedicated GPU and a full power CPU, nevermind a DVD/BD drive, along with 4-6 hours of battery life. All things my old Vaio S13 had (and its predecessor, another Vaio SA series).

Oh, well. If I can fix the busted display on the Vaio S13 I'm going back to it, and ditching this overweight Dell Latitude E5450, which barely anymore power than the old Vaio, and more problems, to boot.

If I hadn't have sold my 2600K (or my i7 920) to build a 2P rig, I'd probably still have them and wouldn't have an i7 4790K.
CPU's have reached a ceiling ATM IMHO.
Sure, there will always be new ones, but the usefulness of anything over (a 4C/8T) is suspect for most people.

Oddly, my mobo was somewhat wonky with USB3.0 support under Win7 (forcing me to run in Legacy 2.0 mode to avoid BSOD), but something in the native win8 drivers fixed that.

That's exactly why I ditched my 2500k setup, heh.

q9450 at @3.6 Ghz for 7 years straight
8GB RAM
840 Pro SSD

maybe one day she'll quit, but no signs yet.

That's exactly why I ditched my 2500k setup, heh.

I've been having odd connectivity issues with Windows 10 on this Z77 board, but short of turning off some power-saving options of hoping for the best I haven't really looked in to it yet.

I've been having odd connectivity issues with Windows 10 on this Z77 board, but short of turning off some power-saving options of hoping for the best I haven't really looked in to it yet.

You're reminding me of some tweaks I had to do to the power options when I updated to Win10 on my 2600k setup (Maximus IV GENE-Z). I think I ended up disabling all USB power saving options during win7/8, which somewhat resolved the issue (sometimes).

On my laptop, the update to win10 did the same thing, causing any flash drive running at USB3.0 speeds to disconnect, then reconnect, the drive. I never resolved the issue, instead, I just got a 128GB USB2.0 drive. Saves me the headache of dealing with it. Drivers didn't resolve it, notebookcheck forums were baffled, and dell didn't care. Just another reason why I want to rid of my current Dell laptop. My (broken screen) Sony S13 doesn't have this issue, neither do my coworkers' Thinkpads and Macbooks.

On my laptop, the update to win10 did the same thing, causing any flash drive running at USB3.0 speeds to disconnect, then reconnect, the drive. I never resolved the issue

I really thing the boards were faulty for USB3 support. Even Linux didn't work right with the USB3 ports. If Win8 resolves some issue, then it must be some hack work-around.

I trashed in i7 860 for weird issues that were either pre-spec hardware revisions or hardware failures over time, that's what my TS440 replaced, now that TS440.. that's a hell of a machine for not a lot of dough.

I still have a 2500K and it runs everything as good as anything out there, which is a shame. I really want to upgrade but see no reason to do so.

I'm only willing to upgrade for a 30%+ performance boost or if my current rig dies.

I really thing the boards were faulty for USB3 support. Even Linux didn't work right with the USB3 ports. If Win8 resolves some issue, then it must be some hack work-around.

I dealt with some major issues on Gigabyte boards and H81 mATX in Linux as well so I'm thinking it is more driver support.

2500K here.

I'm most likely going to upgrade before the free Windows 10 upgrade period ends. Still have a few months left. Hopefully a company (that will actually ship ) will put 5820K/good X99 mobo on sale a the same time.

Part of the reason for the stagnation is that the slowest common denominator in the computer is the storage. Until they make more advances in storage (which is being done as we speak) with things like NVMe, and it becomes more common place, things with platforms are going to get kinda stagnant.

I built my 2600k platform (OCd to 4.4GHz) in September 2012. It is going strong, and I do not foresee upgrading in the near future. The only real reason why I was considering upgrading was because of the fact that my board only has 2 true SATA 3 ports and I need more.

I have had this system running a 2600k since the month the processor was available.

I used to build a new system every fall for kicks. Since I built this one, I have been looking for reasons to upgrade, but I game less and this thing has been fine for working over my VPN to the office and all of my audio editing needs.

I recently picked up Adobe Premiere Pro. Last night I fired it up for the first time, and tested out green screen compositing. Granted, it was a very short video with only a couple of clips, but this darn thing is handling the work without issue.

I just felt the need to share.

My brother upgraded from an atom 330 desktop (XP) to an i7-3770k (win7) about 2 years ago. I used the atom330 briefly as a firewall and last night I built it into a lubuntu 64-bit desktop. The atom 330 was a "value/netbook" processor I think in 2008 or 2009 and while slow, it's still usable today for basic web browsing (chrome does MUCH better on this than firefox). I'm using integrated graphics as well.

cpubenchmark.net ranks the atom 330 single threaded performance at "250". For comparison an athlon XP 1700+ is ranked at 235 and my 1.4ghz Celeron 2955u in my chromebook is ranked about 787...

2500K here.

I'm most likely going to upgrade before the free Windows 10 upgrade period ends. Still have a few months left. Hopefully a company (that will actually ship ) will put 5820K/good X99 mobo on sale a the same time.

I stopped stalling, and got the G3258 done - despite the G3258 AND that I was coming from Q6600 (the seminal quad-core), it feels more like an upgrade than a crossgrade.

1. Yes - per-core processor improvements have been many since Conroe/Wolfdale - however, I still have two fewer cores.

2. While the RAM wasn't carryover, it's one of the slowest speeds of DDR3 - DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24-33. (The entire system is still bone-stock.) I have twice as much RAM (I had 4GB of DDR2-800 before the upgrade), still, it's not exactly "racer RAM".

3. Everything else is carryover. Same boot drive, same OS, etc. No SSD. I still have VT-x support, and gained Hyper-V support. I can now either record OR stream (basic streaming) as XSplit Gamecaster now works - and without issues. (I couldn't get it to work with the Q6600 - with the same GTX550Ti - at all.)

In other words, despite the minimal nature of the upgrade, it really IS an upgrade.

Part of the reason for the stagnation is that the slowest common denominator in the computer is the storage. Until they make more advances in storage (which is being done as we speak) with things like NVMe, and it becomes more common place, things with platforms are going to get kinda stagnant.

I built my 2600k platform (OCd to 4.4GHz) in September 2012. It is going strong, and I do not foresee upgrading in the near future. The only real reason why I was considering upgrading was because of the fact that my board only has 2 true SATA 3 ports and I need more.

That is basically the only reason I upgraded to X99 and I wanted to at least get good money out of my current setup in regards to resale value.

I seriously can't fathom on why a 25-30% increase in single thread is not a selling point but whatever

I seriously can't fathom on why a 25-30% increase in single thread is not a selling point but whatever

It certainly is, no doubt. But for the most part, for everyday, regular use, you won't really be able to tell a difference. [H] folks like us will be able to, though.

Another reason I'm holding off is not just the performance aspect. This time around, when I upgrade, I have to do the ENTIRE SYSTEM. Monitors included, because my LCD monitors are literally dying. :( So this one is going to real expensive. I'm estimating probably north of $2.5k to $3k.

It certainly is, no doubt. But for the most part, for everyday, regular use, you won't really be able to tell a difference. [H] folks like us will be able to, though.

Another reason I'm holding off is not just the performance aspect. This time around, when I upgrade, I have to do the ENTIRE SYSTEM. Monitors included, because my LCD monitors are literally dying. :( So this one is going to real expensive. I'm estimating probably north of $2.5k to $3k.

And therein is the bigger issue (indirectly, it even led to the stall) - what drives upgrades?

I did a (literal) minimum upgrade - CPU, motherboard, and RAM - the RAM dates back to LGA1155 (Sandy Bridge) and was bought when said RAM was in glut turf. The CPU and motherboard are as low-end as is possible while still supporting overclockage - while the second iteration of G41 did support SOME overclocking, the first-gen G41 (which I had) didn't. And that's comparing G41 (then) to H81 (now) heads-up. Second-gen G41 also supported DDR3; H81 supports it now. (Same two-DIMM ceiling as well.) Everything else - from case to the rest of the contents - is carryover. I did reinstall the OS - however, the OS itself (Windows 10 Pro) is also carryover. The drive is carryover. The discrete GPU is also carryover. I have SATA 6.0 ports on the motherboard (two of the four) - however, the two Eco-Greens I use for storage don't go that tall in terms of transfer rates; the advantage the faster ports bring is basically not being a bottleneck. (Naturally, the same applies to the USB 3.0 ports - I use one of them as a charge/transfer point for my Android tablet; I have no other use for them right now other than USB sticks. I have four USB ports accessible via headers that I am not even using, mainly due to not needing TO use them right now - any webcam I buy - and I need one - will use the USB 3 port I'm not using today.) Therefore, I've almost run out of uses for what I upgraded to - and without spending a mint, or even half a mint.

Then there are the games - performance in ALL of them is up considerably, despite technically running a core deficit (compared to Q6600). Only one game (ANNO 2205) I run today post-dates Q6600, and it is running better than it does on Mom's i3; however, I have a very good idea why that is the case (discrete GPU vs. HD4400 native, and more RAM available). The 8GB of DDR3 has the nerfed i3 singing.

The platform costs associated with a 25% boost in ipc aren't trivial. Especially as in colder months, I can get my 2500k over 5ghz comfortably, newer chips have no guarantee of successful overclocking.

When we hit a guaranteed ipc boost of, say, 40% I'll throw down some money.

The platform costs associated with a 25% boost in ipc aren't trivial. Especially as in colder months, I can get my 2500k over 5ghz comfortably, newer chips have no guarantee of successful overclocking.

When we hit a guaranteed ipc boost of, say, 40% I'll throw down some money.

you are silly. I will gladly pay for a 10% IPC increase in regards to single thread. I am so single thread starved its not even funny. Document scanner is single thread....like seriously...fucking shit programming. Browser single thread, older games struggle even on a 4.2GHz Haswell, basically all of windows is SL limited, MBAM is ST, basically the reason anything takes time to load is because of single thread limit (I will do whatever I can to get sub 1s everything preferable .25s), and a bunch more I cant recall off my head.

Everything you click and open is single thread limited assuming you got a fast SSD. So that's why you see NVMe drives having minimal load speed increases because the process is single thread limited. I'll take a 10% gain on basically everything i use daily. Literally everything you do on a day to day basis is ST limited.

Look at IBMs data...it shows every inche closer you get to sub 1s productivity increases because small delays really kill productivity.
http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/jelliott/evrrt.html

I also use the computer all fucking day so a 10% increase over an entire year saves me a lot of time and sanity. Especially the closer I get to .25s response times

And you have to spend "how much" to upgrade?

Remember, I was coming from a Q6600 - and I am seeing improvements in everything, and without exception. If everyday applications (and games for that matter) used more threads, I'd be taking a bath - not seeing increased performance. Back when I DID upgrade to Q6600, the driver was one game - the original Supreme Commander. If I upgrade to i5 (which I can now do as a swap) again, it will be a single piece of software (fittingly, it would ALSO be a game - Ashes of the Singularity). It's not the applications; heck, it's not even the utilities.

The OS (Windows 10 Pro) is carryover. The drives are carryover (WD Eco-Green). The discrete GPU is carryover. Counting the PSU, I didn't even spend $300USD (atypically, I bought everything from Amazon - despite MicroCenter having better prices - except the RAM - however, I bought THAT back when DDR3 was originally in glut turf with Sandy Bridge; in other words, it sat on a shelf).

I can overclock - however, I'm not exactly pushed TO overclock - by anything.

All I do is game, surf the internet, rip bluerays and run my server off my computer.
2500k here, clocked to 4.2ghz. Running 1080P on a tv, and 1600p on my monitor with a GTX780ti.
When I rip bluerays, I leave the computer so I don't care if it takes 50 minutes or 2 hours. Games I'll upgrade the gpu till the point where I'm actually cpu limited like in the past when CPU's were making giant leaps. and as for surfing the internet, off my ssd and cable connection it's instant unless the servers are slow.

Basically no need to upgrade until the cpu completely chokes on games and if DX12 is supposed to help take the load off the cpu then I don't see a need to upgrade for a long while which makes my wallet happy.

Skylake has lost the FIVR that caused such low Haswell OC headroom, along with allowing for BCLK-independent adjustments. Skylake is showing itself to be a very strong OC chip. On top of the IPC improvements.

Skylake has lost the FIVR that caused such low Haswell OC headroom, along with allowing for BCLK-independent adjustments. Skylake is showing itself to be a very strong OC chip. On top of the IPC improvements.

to be fair the 4970K fixed a lot of the OCing issues. SL was selling 5 GHz Haswells rofl.

the original 4770k were shit

to be fair the 4970K fixed a lot of the OCing issues. SL was selling 5 GHz Haswells rofl.

the original 4770k were shit

Still, look at how ALL the Haswell CPUs run at stock - unless you starve them of RAM, they still run like champs. (Remember, the two differences between Mom's AIO and my rebuilt desktop are my desktop has a discrete GPU and it has more RAM - while the dGPU explains part of the difference, my suspicion is that the RAM (or lack thereof, in the case of Mom's AIO) is the bigger difference-maker - I have 8GB, while Mom has 6GB). That means that Mom need to upgrade the smaller DIMM - her two DIMM slots are 4GB and 2GB.

All I do is game, surf the internet, rip bluerays and run my server off my computer.
2500k here, clocked to 4.2ghz. Running 1080P on a tv, and 1600p on my monitor with a GTX780ti.
When I rip bluerays, I leave the computer so I don't care if it takes 50 minutes or 2 hours. Games I'll upgrade the gpu till the point where I'm actually cpu limited like in the past when CPU's were making giant leaps. and as for surfing the internet, off my ssd and cable connection it's instant unless the servers are slow.

Basically no need to upgrade until the cpu completely chokes on games and if DX12 is supposed to help take the load off the cpu then I don't see a need to upgrade for a long while which makes my wallet happy.

If you do recoding and ripping, Intel QuickSync can shave significant time (in my case, I use it for recoding and streaming) - if you have any LGA115x Intel CPU (from Skylake back to - don't laugh - Sandy Bridge) unless your motherboard doesn't have any video-out from the iGPU, you can still use QuickSync, even with a discrete GPU; just make sure the iGPU isn't the default. I use HDMI for two things - QuickSync and an alternative audio-out. It's connected to the iGPU due to my dGPU - GTX550Ti - having a non-standard HDMI port; the dGPU is connected via DVI and remains the default.
Otherwise, I haven't found anything that's a drag-down caused by QuickSync. (Basically, I get the concern - however, so far, it's a non-issue.)

I just upgrade from 8gb 1600mhz to 16gb 2133mhz with 2500k, it's all good and plan to upgrade new video card, I am look for maybe gtx 960 4gb or pascal.

GTX 560 still kicking strong and handle most my games.

I just upgrade from 8gb 1600mhz to 16gb 2133mhz with 2500k, it's all good and plan to upgrade new video card, I am look for maybe gtx 960 4gb or pascal.

GTX 560 still kicking strong and handle most my games.

Not surprised - remember, I stayed with GTX550Ti (which is carryover).

My 8GB is 1333 (and 9-9-9-24-33) - relatively low-latency for the speed, but still the second-slowest speed of DDR3 in common circulation (and THE slowest in terms of non-L DDR3); if I swap the 2x4GB DIMMs for 2x8GB DIMMs, I'll wind up with faster-speed RAM simply due to the swap, as DDR3-1600 is the slowest speed generally available in the size. It's more likely that DX12 will force a dGPU upgrade before any game forces a DRAM upgrade - the hardest game on my hardware so far (ANNO 2205) is just NOW showing signs of taxing the dGPU (and that is only because I've moved it to the second-tallest settings - all-High settings and 4x MSAA). It's becoming rather painfully obvious that extremely little is capable of taxing LGA115x when properly equipped with RAM - even at the low-CPU end, such as G3258 at stock.

2600k here ...

Brought it early 2011. Lapped it and OCed since day one, which was a replacement to a perfectly good I7-920 which was also Lapped and OCed since day one, which was a replacement to a perfectly good Q6600 ...

I really want to get 6700k as I heard it will bend ... but I also heard that CPU dies eventually if you OC ...

2600k here ...

Brought it early 2011. Lapped it and OCed since day one, which was a replacement to a perfectly good I7-920 which was also Lapped and OCed since day one, which was a replacement to a perfectly good Q6600 ...

I really want to get 6700k as I heard it will bend ... but I also heard that CPU dies eventually if you OC ...

they are perfectly fine if you leave the IHS on. You can't do bare die so delidding and repasting is fine.

Back