ThinkPads come full circle: the ThinkPad Tablet

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Seriously, a ThinkPad Tablet. Not a ThinkPad convertible, but a real ThinkPad Tablet. I made a post a few days ago with a link to info about how the original ThinkPad from way back in 1990 was, believe it or not, an actual slate tablet that was designed primarily because of the little notepads that were a big thing at IBM, emblazoned with just one word: "Think."

Now it seems the ThinkPad has come full circle and is finally introducing a real slate tablet once again, this time with Android 3 Honeycomb, in a form factor similar to what's becoming more popular these days: a tablet device that also has the optional "dock" made up of a keyboard, a trackpad/touchpad of some making, and typically another battery to extend the runtime of the device.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/24/lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-honeycomb-optional-stylus-hit-summer/

Lenovo did have the "LePad" idea last year that many people were expecting, but it seems that one might have been scrapped for the time being, or that it's specifically intended for the consumer channels: the ThinkPad Tablet is most assuredly branded as a ThinkPad (unlike the "LePad" which sticks with Lenovo's own brand and logo), and is going to be marketed more to the professional side of the world, probably along the lines of the HP Slate which isn't sold in stores, only available online, and considered a business class product (of course the Slate runs Windows 7, not Android).

But this looks nice, and the price supposedly $499 as an entry point which is absolutely fucking amazing if it's true. Shows just the Wi-Fi model but perhaps there's going to be an optional 3G/4G capable model at some point in the near future as well.

It's all brand new info, freshly leaked courtesy of that one site's article so, take it with a grain of salt I suppose. The leaked images are clearly marked "CONFIDENTIAL" and dated from 2009 so it's obviously that this has been in the works for some time, and also that the actual finished product(s) might not match the images exactly.

Let's hope Lenovo can pull something "magical" out of their hats worthy of the ThinkPad name.

We're pretty much fully into the tablet swing now, and I have to say it took fucking long enough... :D

Last edited:
Back