Thinkpad Z61t for $539.10

I want to get it..but it only comes in Core Flavor :(
Anyone know if the motherboard is Core2Duo compatible for future upgrades?

I'm definately in the market for a new laptop ($450-650).

I tried comparing this against Dell on a couple models and it doesn't look to be that great of a deal. How does this proc compare to a AMD TurionTM 64x2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.80GHz 512K). Dell small biz sectioon prices a laptop like this, with this above proc, 1GB 2dimm ram, Vista home premium, 14.1" screen, all for about $600?

If this deal is good at $530, what does it look like at $630? Is this interesting just because it should be a hundred bucks more or so?

Let me know, I'm kind of out of tech right now so I don't know what to do.

I'm definately in the market for a new laptop ($450-650).

I tried comparing this against Dell on a couple models and it doesn't look to be that great of a deal. How does this proc compare to a AMD TurionTM 64x2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 (1.80GHz 512K). Dell small biz sectioon prices a laptop like this, with this above proc, 1GB 2dimm ram, Vista home premium, 14.1" screen, all for about $600?

If this deal is good at $530, what does it look like at $630? Is this interesting just because it should be a hundred bucks more or so?

Let me know, I'm kind of out of tech right now so I don't know what to do.

Half the reason this deal is so hot is due to how high quality Thinkpads are constructed...and not specs. It's hard to compare a Thinkpad to say...a Dell, Compaq, or Acer simply due to the fact that their construction is fairly crappy (ie: loose hinges over time..cheap plastics..etc).

Ok - good reply! That leads me more towards taking this one... I had a thinkpad before and it lasted forever.

I want to put the Vista Home Premium on this though, which is a 50 dollar upgrade. In doing so, is the $80 memory upgrade to 2GB worthwhile? Also, this includes wireless network right?

1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM) [$0.00]

2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) [add $80.00] [Lenovo recommended]

The discount will still be available when I do the upgrades right? When do I have to put this order in do you think, ASAP? I can order today if I need to.

Well thanks for the help guys. I put the order in with 2GB memory, the 7 cell battery, and the Vista home premium. Hopefully Vista runs ok on this proc.

Total was $727.20 + $43 tax. Shipping is free UPS ground, or you can pay 25 for 2 day air shipping.

Estimated ship date says 1/22 though.

ALSO, THE COUPON WORKS WHETHER YOU USE PAYPAL OR NOT. I PAID WITH MY AMERICAN EXPRESS, NOT THROUGH PAYPAL. Just a note ;)

I just purchased a thinkpad last week but it is the X61S I paid 1200 for it :( still not here. My Total savings was $880 is this deal even hotter that I should cancel mine?

On the X-Series I read the Processor is soldered to the MB not sure about the Z series...

I would not purchase any memory, I purchased mine with 1GB Signle dim but ordered 4GB of PQI DDR2 for Laptop PC 5400/5300 for $62 so I would say upgrading to 2 GB for $80 is definately a ripoff

It loosk comparable only this one is Larger, Comes with a DVD Rom/Burner.

Mine was pretty similar specs only I got the 8 cell ,1.8ghz 800FSB Low voltage C2D processor, Bluetooth, Upgraded LAN but thats about it. I'm thinking to try to cancel my order!?!?! Or should I get what I want a small 12"?

After Adding the Battery and Burner this deal comes to $729 vs mine is $200 (If I ever get my Cash Back through Paypal and E-coupons) more but no Burner or even a DVD Player :( However I'm getting a better thinner screen and low voltage coponents and Turbo Memorhy (1GB Hard Drive Cashe)

BTW you may be able to save an additional $100 if you link to their site via E-Coupons vs [H]....

JustIntox:

Make sure you are getting what you want. I don't mind having to lug this larger thing around, especially after I upgraded to the 7 cell. I am no expert on the value difference here of course. I've bought too many things just for them being a good deal and not fit for what I'm looking for. The good thing about this deal for me is that I was pretty much in the market for this exact offering.

With the memory issue, I heard you have to remove the entire keyboard and such to access the slots. Even so, sounds like you are scoring much better buying the 4GB of memory and self install. It's gunna be a pain for me to cancel my order so I'll stick with the $80 upgrade, as bad a value as it is. I'm afraid Vista will be far too sluggish on 1GB in the interim before I install the memory anyway...

Good luck with your decision!

JustIntox:

Make sure you are getting what you want. I don't mind having to lug this larger thing around, especially after I upgraded to the 7 cell. I am no expert on the value difference here of course. I've bought too many things just for them being a good deal and not fit for what I'm looking for. The good thing about this deal for me is that I was pretty much in the market for this exact offering.

With the memory issue, I heard you have to remove the entire keyboard and such to access the slots. Even so, sounds like you are scoring much better buying the 4GB of memory and self install. It's gunna be a pain for me to cancel my order so I'll stick with the $80 upgrade, as bad a value as it is. I'm afraid Vista will be far too sluggish on 1GB in the interim before I install the memory anyway...

Good luck with your decision!

Well I don't know how much going to a 12" is really going to benefit me as this will be my first real laptop (im on a compaq now that I am goign to send back lol). I also upgraded to the 8 cell battery ont he 12" version as it was only $10 for teh upgrade vs $80 (WTF). I'm sure the battery life will be much better ont he 12" with low voltage processor, Low Voltage Ultra Slim Ultra Bright display. + I would have Bluetooth and Wireless N. I will need to purchase a USB DVD Drrive though as the 12" doesnto come with one ....

I don't know how hard ti would be to upgrade mem on the Larger one but I't supposedly just a door you open on the X61S.

Thinkpad laptops are the best laptops in the world for business and daily use. Cheaper laptops are worth less over time, scratch and fall apart.

The hardware may be a generation old, but look at the resale value of any thinkpad and you'll see that it's worth spending your money on.

Back