Thinkpad T21 CPU Fan Problem

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got a Thinkpad T21. Currently, it's outfitted with 256MB RAM, Intel PIII 800MHz, and a lowly 4200RPM HDD. I've just spent the day ordering upgrade components for it that will take it to a PIII 1.0GHz, 512MB (2x256MB) RAM, and a 5400 RPM HDD. Basically, I'm trying to max out the laptop so that I can use it for as long as possbile (it's my mobile computer engineering workhorse machine).

I bought the laptop second-hand on eBay and it's always performed like a champ. However, since I've owned it, I've noticed that it gets kinda warm in the general area of the CPU.

During my search today for a replacement CPU, I found numerous posts on various forums where people reported that their CPU fan would power on for a few seconds during POST and then would not run at all during the rest of the time the laptop is powered on.

Curious as to whether or not this is my case, I popped the keyboard off (and left just the keyboard I/O connector connected and powered the laptop on. Sure enough, the exact same thing is happening to me. The fan spins for a few seconds during initial POST and then powers itself off and sits there quietly doing nothing.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Does it sound like a defect in the heatsink/fan combo, a BIOS issue, or maybe even a Windows ACPI issue? In all of the forum posts I found, no one ever posted a resolution or any feedback as to their situation. I'd really like to figure this out before my new gear comes in and I really make things toasty inside my Thinkpad :p

thanks all!

call up IBM

your machine might still be under warranty, they come with 3 year by default...

see what they say, can't say iv seen anythign like this though.

On a plus point, if its a common problem, there is likely a common fix :)

good luck

Back