Thinking of Upgrading..Have some questions..

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hi!

It's been a while since I've upgraded my mobo/CPU combo. As a gamer, all the dual core processors didn't impress me much because most games did not take advantage of them. Only until recently have games taken advantage of multiple cores and it makes sense for me to upgrade.

Anyways. I had a few questions about a new Intel setup. I'm looking at getting the E8400 or similar CPU and a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with some good DDR2 memory.

I currently have an Antec TP II 550W PSU. My first question is if I should upgrade to a new PSU and if so, what would you recommend? I plan on overclocking the CPU.

What is the roadmap for the LGA 775? Is Intel planning on switching sockets any time soon?

Another question I had is if someone could recommend a cheap IDE to SATA adapter so I can use my old hard drives on the new mobo.

Also, if anyone has any other concerns or advice feel free to chime in. I could be overlooking something else.

thanks!

-fro

I'm pretty sure that mobo has one IDE connector. I'll check.

EDIT: Yup it does.

I'm pretty sure that mobo has one IDE connector. I'll check.

It does, but I will need 2. One will be for my two DVD drives. I have two IDE hard drives. I will be using both of them, at least temporarily. I plan on getting a SATA drive, but will need to access the old ones for a temporary amount of time.

EDIT: Well, I was just thinking that if I needed to use my old IDE hard drives to transfer stuff, I could just disconnect my DVD drives and use the open IDE slot. So that might not be a concern.

-fro

I'd say your existing PSU is fine. The LGA775 will be Intel's socket until the move to Nehalem, which will be early-2009.

Are there even any good boards with two IDE's anymore?
You'll have to get some kind of SATA->IDE converter if you need more IDE's.

When I was shopping a few months ago, IDE was almost always 1 connector, at least with anything from the last year. Some older boards still have 2.

You can always pick up an external USB enclosure and use your old drives for backup of the new system.

Socket 775 is still the best way to go for the next year or so. The new stuff will be overpriced and buggy for the first year after release anyway. Who needs the headaches.

Don't buy a IDE DVD drive for your new system. IDE's days are definitely numbered.

Don

Back