Ovreel

Limp Gawd
I've been using vista ultimate x64 with these specs:

Intel E2180 OC'd to 3.1 Ghz
4gb a-data ram
gigabyte P35 DS3L
EVGA Geforce 8800GT 512mb gfx card
Corsair TX750 PSU

I've been having issues with FPS loss in games like TF2 and now Warhammer. These games have been gradually dropping in performance.

So I'm wondering if (even with 4gb, not all being used) XP 32-bit pro will be more efficient in running these games. (all games in general?) Maybe I just need to reformat and start fresh again with my Vistax64?

Should be more than fine - PSU is overkill - Spsly games are running better on Vista know...

Try another Vista install on a spare drive and do one for XP as well, then compare.
For a fair review, disable prefetch in Vista as its really active during the first weeks of installing.
This might even be the cause of your issues.

Actually I've been running on vista for almost 6 months.

I've been noticing the performance in all my games falling a bit, TF2 is now unplayable, and I've tried every tweak possible (without annihilating the graphics entirely). I've read that a lot of people have more success with Warhammer in particular and running on a 32bit OS after trying it on a 64bit OS.

I don't have spare drive to test with sadly, or I would. Do you guys think it'd be worth it to try out XP at least, see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out maybe just a fresh start with vista 64 again would be best?

I've been running Vista 64 for months and playing a whole lot of Crysis/Crysis Warhead/Crysis Wars, COD4, and a bit of TF2 since ~March. I have had absolutely no complaints in terms of gaming performance and I've been a hugely loyal supporter of XP32 since SP2 came out (that's quite a while).

I would have to go with Nenu and recommend doing another Vista install on another drive.

Well I've started installing XP atm, I think I'll try it out for a few days maybe then decide if I want to go back to Vista or not :)

It really seemed like performance was gradually degrading though. It was odd, and frustrating. But we'll see how this goes!

Well I've started installing XP atm, I think I'll try it out for a few days maybe then decide if I want to go back to Vista or not :)

It really seemed like performance was gradually degrading though. It was odd, and frustrating. But we'll see how this goes!

Well, I was going to suggest you keep your current installation. As much as I don't like Vista, the problem you are describing doesn't seem to be the fault of the OS. Two things came to mind when I read about your problem.

First would be a possible driver problem; especially if you have installed more than one set of drivers without cleaning out the previous drivers. While I have personally never had a problem with installing over old drivers, it has caused a lot of trouble for other people.

The other thought I had was hardware related. I'm wondering if the cooling on your video card is going bad or needs to be cleaned out. There is also the possibility that the video card itself or another piece of hardware has or is going bad. You didn't try any stability tests like Prime and memtest so we have no clue if you might be having trouble with heat or memory.

I'm running Warhammer on less machine than you have and it runs fine in Vista. Search Curse.com for the buffthrottle addon and see if it helps. Made a huge difference for me.

Back