Thinking of retiring the Westy...options?

psyclist

Gawd
Hey Guys,

Just wondering about some options, as Im thinking of putting my old Westy 37-W1 out to pasture.

Just wondering what people thought on going dual 24" and add a third later? Dell here in Canada has a pretty good deal on the U2412HM's @ $265 each right now

Or should I wait for PLS to grab hold? The westy is fine other than the constant backlight buzz it gives off, gimme some ammo to justify to the girlfriend I NEED two new monitors :rolleyes:

Haha so I guess no opinions, oh well... i was just wondering if others had gone from a jombo screen and back to a more computer friendly display and what people had thought of it?

Im torn between going dual 24", or possibly a single 30". Ive only got 2x 6870's and with only a GB of vram and I suspect my gaming would suffer at anything above 1080p. There has to be some old westy owners that can chime in here!

d00d..

my Westy W3 is dying the traveling smudge.. geting bad..

same boat..but I also use a 23 Sammy on the side

2 24"s will not cut it for me.. So..Im still fairly torn..
between a 27 1440p or a 30 1600p .. but both of those will mean hits to AA etc...

or a 32" 1080p Tv.. but the trick to those are finding ones that have the 4 4 4 sub sampling...

still reading, researching, reviewing, thinking on it.. I really cant see going down too small..after having enjoyed the Westy 37 for so long...

Haha so I guess no opinions, oh well... i was just wondering if others had gone from a jombo screen and back to a more computer friendly display and what people had thought of it?

Im torn between going dual 24", or possibly a single 30". Ive only got 2x 6870's and with only a GB of vram and I suspect my gaming would suffer at anything above 1080p. There has to be some old westy owners that can chime in here!

I went from the 37" westy to a 21" sony g520 crt.

I run at 1600x1200 100hz and have had little desire to switch back. 100hz Is kind of still not enough and going back to 60hz on a huge screen hurts my brain. Also the huge screen hurt my eyes and made them bloodshot from long periods of use, the smaller screen is more comfortable to use.

I may switch them back and forth every once in a while though. Just to keep things somewhat fresh, and exercise ;). The whoa this is huge factor of the 37" wears off after you get used to it and just makes my eyes sore. I enjoy the lack of input lag, superior contrast ratio and wide choice of resolutions and refresh rates.

But anyway there are no benefits to the large screen, and it's annoying unless you have it at a good distance, I prefer a small close up screen for computer stuff than a large any distance screen. The huge pixels makes it harder to see image as an image and instead looks kind of like like a bunch of pixels trying to look like an image, if you see what I mean.

Do you game, specifically fps or something with a crosshair? If so, dual monitors is a bad choice since the crosshair will be right where the bezels are. In that case, I'd go with the single 30" monitor for sure. If you are not gaming or don't play games with crosshairs, multiple monitors might be a good choice. I know you said you would upgrade to 3 possible later, but if you game you will probably find a dual setup really, really annoying in the interim.

For myself, I just went from 3 24" monitors to a single 27" and love it. Even in regular desktop use I spent enough time on the middle monitor that the higher res there makes more of a difference than having three. I'm going to add two smaller monitors to flank my 27" in desktop use, to give me the best of both worlds.

I changed from my westy to the HP hr30w. Later I added 2 of the dell 2007fp for plp. Really depends on what you want to do, your budget, and if you like multi monitor set ups. Personally eyefinity got old and flakey drivers and games lacking support pushed me away. I would just get a nice high Res 27" monitor and be done with it.

I changed from my westy to the HP hr30w. Later I added 2 of the dell 2007fp for plp. Really depends on what you want to do, your budget, and if you like multi monitor set ups. Personally eyefinity got old and flakey drivers and games lacking support pushed me away. I would just get a nice high Res 27" monitor and be done with it.

thanks for that info.

I really was going to stay TV panel, scale from the Westy 37 to a 32 samsung or somthing..

but.. again, Ive changed.. think Ill go u3011, or maybe a HP hr30w .. but point being.. 30".

if the gtx580 struggles with that... then Ill just go windowed mode til 680 or whatever next comes.. and be happy.

just makes sense to get the better , deeper, more rich display.. and mod my games, whether window, or less aa etc..till the hardware catches up.. because in the end, though I game a few hours a day.. I surf / read etc way more than that.. and the pixel density of the 30's just look better... for all around use..

Hey all, thanks for the replies! I didnt think I was gonna hear anything back on this front. Yeah im torn between two smaller displays 24" or the possibility of one larger one 27" or 30" ish. I guess the issue is my westy is still working just fine, even after 6 years, and because it predates HDMI I cant very easily just relegate it to TV status. Dell Canada has a deal on the 27" right now for $674 ...but I think im just gonna hang back a bit longer, live with the buzzy screen and keep an eye on upcoming things

Back