Thinking of playing WoW again, need advice.

BarbeauBot said:
does anyone have a link to leaked release notes for the next patch concerning Hunter changes? might convince me to start up my lvl 30 hunter again...
just go to worldofwarcraft.com. they arent leaked, there is a direct link on the main page to the changes.

fuckers pushed the druid changes back a patch to get yurs done, so you better like em.

I was in WSG last night and got to see how much of a beating a lvl 60 Pally can take.....I was impressed. It almost makes me want to respec my warrior to a shield warrior. (This pally did not have a shield). There were literally 4 of us beating on him, all level 60 and it took a decent amout of time to beat him down.

With that type of abuse taking ability, a better ranged attack might be too much.

Don't gimp yourself by going Protection. Paladins will always be able to last longer than warriors do to their protection skills and heals. The paladin would have had a good 18 seconds of immunity in which to heal, and then right before he died, could have healed himself back to full life with an insta-cast. Protection warriors are about damage mitigation and have none of the healing capabilities.

Althought, my Bloodthirst has kept me alive for 5-8 seconds periods where I couldn't see any health on my bar, giving the priest time to get off his superheal. ;)

But that's just bad preisting. :p

Talon Blackrazor said:
Don't gimp yourself by going Protection. Paladins will always be able to last longer than warriors do to their protection skills and heals. The paladin would have had a good 18 seconds of immunity in which to heal, and then right before he died, could have healed himself back to full life with an insta-cast. Protection warriors are about damage mitigation and have none of the healing capabilities.

Althought, my Bloodthirst has kept me alive for 5-8 seconds periods where I couldn't see any health on my bar, giving the priest time to get off his superheal. ;)

But that's just bad preisting. :p

As a warrior I always ruin paladins. Paladins are a very low DPS class and they just cant go 1 on 1 with a warrior. Sure paladins can heal, but when they put there shield up and start to cast heal, that is a warriors cue to use a heavy runecloth bandage and get all his health back.

Also warriors have the ability to shield bash a healing spell every few seconds.

Seeing a Warrior pop a bandage is the Paladin's cue ot hit Hammer of justice and finish his heal. And a Heavy Runecloth banage gets me back about 1/3 of my life. ;)

Talon Blackrazor said:
Seeing a Warrior pop a bandage is the Paladin's cue ot hit Hammer of justice and finish his heal. And a Heavy Runecloth banage gets me back about 1/3 of my life. ;)

The paladin cannot attack while shielded, so im not sure how they are doing hammer of justice.

lol, what level are you? The second Paladin shield they get at level ~30 allows attacks through. Also, Hammer of Justice is not a phsycial attack, but a Holy one and is not affected by either the first shield or Blessing of Protection.

Talon Blackrazor said:
lol, what level are you? The second Paladin shield they get at level ~30 allows attacks through.

I have a level 55 hunter,47warrio, and 20, paladin. The whole point was that if a paladin is shielding and healing, there is a large portion of time when a warrior can use a bandage fully, before the paladin even has the chance to attack.

Saying a warrior cannot bandage is like me saying a paladin cannot heal, because I will just shield bash the spell away.

Honestly saying paladins will always outlast warriors, has me questioning if you even own the game. I regularly beat paladins 5 levels higher then me.

k, wrong. As soon as you bandage when the Paladin shields to heal, as soon as the warrior starts to bandage, the Paladin hits Hammer of Justice, interupting the bandage, and stunning the warrior for 4 seconds, the paladin can then finish healing and be back into the fight with near full health. At most the warrior got a little life back from the first tick of his bandage.

Talon Blackrazor said:
k, wrong. As soon as you bandage when the Paladin shields to heal, as soon as the warrior starts to bandage, the Paladin hits Hammer of Justice, interupting the bandage, and stunning the warrior for 4 seconds, the paladin can then finish healing and be back into the fight with near full health. At most the warrior got a little life back from the first tick of his bandage.

Sounds good on paper, never happens in the game. And why would a warrior bandage any other time, then the exact same time a paladin is casting heal ? In addition heavy runecloth bandages are 250health a tic, only takes a few tics to heal up, real quick. The only way you get full health is if you do lay on hands, which you can only do once as your mana is totally used up. You will not heal full health using any other method.

There is a reason why warriors are the main tanks, and paladins are off tanks.

bonkrowave said:
Honestly saying paladins will always outlast warriors, has me questioning if you even own the game. I regularly beat paladins 5 levels higher then me.

Nice try. :rolleyes:

If you are beating Paladins 5 levels higher than you they're not trying or are fools.

bonkrowave said:
Saying a warrior cannot bandage is like me saying a paladin cannot heal, because I will just shield bash the spell away.

You cannot shield bash though either Blessing or Protection or either of the other two Immunity shields, and Lay on Hands is insta-cast.

Sky15 said:
Druid have way more utility then Priest do. Priest are awsome 1v1 PvP, but in end-game your just a heal bot, which sucks depending on your self.

I would try a druid out, although they have really really low DPS at the moment, they are very usefull for Instances, and PvP. Just head over to

www.Warcraftmovies.com and check em out.

So any examples of how Druids are good for Instances and PvP?

Everything I'm readin on WoW Forums seems to lean towards the class being borked at the moment... I know that only the whiners are the ones being heard, but there seem to be a few more whiners on the Druid boards than the others atm...

Regardless, I still may play one to impress my 3 year old with changing forms! ;)

Talon Blackrazor said:
lol, what level are you? The second Paladin shield they get at level ~30 allows attacks through. Also, Hammer of Justice is not a phsycial attack, but a Holy one and is not affected by either the first shield or Blessing of Protection.

First, I don't know a lot about paladins and never will, but isn't Hammer of Justice a melee ranged attack? Add that to the fact that paladins can't heal while running, and all the warrior has to do is take a few steps back, bandage, and he can get most of the health from the aid before the pally even has a chance to use HoJ.

bonkrowave said:
Sounds good on paper, never happens in the game. And why would a warrior bandage any other time, then the exact same time a paladin is casting heal ? In addition heavy runecloth bandages are 250health a tic, only takes a few tics to heal up, real quick. The only way you get full health is if you do lay on hands, which you can only do once as your mana is totally used up. You will not heal full health using any other method.

haha, no, using HoJ to interupt is the most viable use in of the skill in PvP and is it's primary use. 4 seconds of damage mitigation is useless to a Paladin who has it in spades anyway.

Paladins can interupt their own heals at anytime they wish and easily nail the bandager right after the first tick. After that the Paladin has a good 8-9 seconds left of immunity for multiple heals, and will have Blessing of Wisdom running to help restore his mana.

In a straight one-on-one duel, the class facing a Paladin will have to kill him at least three times over, not to mention a full 18 seconds during which they cannot harm him at all. A warrior only lasts as long as his health bar and will not usually to put out 3-4 times more damage than he is taking against another Plate-wearing class before going down.

bonkrowave said:
There is a reason why warriors are the main tanks, and paladins are off tanks.

Wrong again. Warriors are main tanks because they have much better agro management skills than a Paladin. The Paladin can not heal himself while tanking a mob being burned down by his group because he will easily lose agro during that period, if he is able to maintain it in the first place. Paladins also cannot use their shields while tanking because it is an instance agro-wipe.

Skills have usage beyond what the tooltips state. Not acknowledging this makes you sound like an auto-attack noob. ;)

BigECB said:
So any examples of how Druids are good for Instances and PvP?

Everything I'm readin on WoW Forums seems to lean towards the class being borked at the moment... I know that only the whiners are the ones being heard, but there seem to be a few more whiners on the Druid boards than the others atm...

Regardless, I still may play one to impress my 3 year old with changing forms! ;)
in instances, we heal.
in 1on1 pvp, we take forever to kill, and they get bored and leave or call another player to kill us, or we run away.
in group pvp, we heal and moonfire.
in wsg, we run the flag.

sKiDmArK said:
First, I don't know a lot about paladins and never will, but isn't Hammer of Justice a melee ranged attack? Add that to the fact that paladins can't heal while running, and all the warrior has to do is take a few steps back, bandage, and he can get most of the health from the aid before the pally even has a chance to use HoJ.

Nope, ranged Holy spell, up to 10 yards, a distance that should take at least a second to cover in reverse. Flash of light is 1.5 second cast. Even with the warrior back pedaling, Paladin still has time to finish or interupt and still make it within range in time to catch it after the first, or possibly second tick. That's a max of 500 healing per fight.

Talon Blackrazor said:
Nope, ranged Holy spell, up to 10 yards, a distance that should take at least a second to cover in reverse. Flash of light is 1.5 second cast. Even with the warrior back pedaling, Paladin still has time to finish or interupt and still make it within range in time to catch it after the first, or possibly second tick. That's a max of 500 healing per fight.

I see, I guess this is what a good pally would do in a dueling situation, but I have yet to see it in person. What is the cooldown for HoJ? They always seem to use it on me in the middle of the duel.

ryanrule said:
in instances, we heal.
in 1on1 pvp, we take forever to kill, and they get bored and leave or call another player to kill us, or we run away.
in group pvp, we heal and moonfire.
in wsg, we run the flag.

See there useful :D

sKiDmArK said:
I see, I guess this is what a good pally would do in a dueling situation, but I have yet to see it in person. What is the cooldown for HoJ? They always seem to use it on me in the middle of the duel.

60 seconds, same as the bandage debuff.

Hehe...I see the pot got stirred here a little bit. Well fwiw, I have 300 First Aid and bandage when I can. However, in WSG very rarely do I ever seem to have the time to do so.

I thought that the recent warrior changes made it more viable to spec shield to get the slam/bash...and that it was much better against casters?

As it stands, Im the cookie cutter 31/20 orc, but using a spear. If...and this is a big if....AV is ever up again, I'd like to make a run at the Ice Barbed Spear (using The Needler now)...and just go with equiping the lieutenant level based PvP plate you can earn. I just don't have the time to do MC runs for anything better or arcanite for the reaper.

The made it more viable with the pseudo-Mortal Strike at the top of the Protection tree, but everything you need to sacrifice to go full Protection spec still gimps damage horribly. Also, it is a fixed damage skill and will not really benefit from improved gear, while other attacks scale as equipment improves.

Talon, the other things I've seen pally's do to interrupt bandaging is to use Consecration.

Most pally stuff except one of their shields can be dispelled, including most of their offense (Blessing of Might, Any seal they are using). Purge, purge or dispel, dispel and pally's are at least not doing damage.

Pally's are all sorts of lameness in WSG. Mind control + Blessing of Protection makes you drop the flag, and is total cheapness. There is one guild on our server that frequently uses that cheese and there is another which has about 6 people equipped with these:
http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=5706

which make you drop the flag when it procs. The MC + BoP guild is not very good, so it's only annoying, but the other guild with tons of people with the gavel is almost impossible to score against, ever.

bonkrowave said:
As a warrior I always ruin paladins. Paladins are a very low DPS class and they just cant go 1 on 1 with a warrior.

I beat a warrior 3 levels above me the other day (as stated earlier in this thread). I was 39 and he was 42 (although I hit 40 last night and got my horse) :)

I'm a 59 protection specced warrior on Sargeras. I think I'm at 8/2/40 right now... Though I don't do a lot of damage and I don't necessarily mitigate damage any better than other cookie-cutter warriors, I am a favorite for tanking high-level instances because I hold agro so well. I can't say I make a huge difference in AV unless I am teamed with a healer -- I just don't do enough damage to kill groups with whirlwind.

As for PvP against paladins: it sucks. If paladins know what they are doing, they are incredible in PvP situations. I'll typically only lose to mages and paladins but can take out just about anything else.

If anyone else is on Sargeras, let me know. My warrior's name is "Mate."

slowbiznatch said:
I'm a 59 protection specced warrior on Sargeras. I think I'm at 8/2/40 right now... Though I don't do a lot of damage and I don't necessarily mitigate damage any better than other cookie-cutter warriors, I am a favorite for tanking high-level instances because I hold agro so well. I can't say I make a huge difference in AV unless I am teamed with a healer -- I just don't do enough damage to kill groups with whirlwind.

As for PvP against paladins: it sucks. If paladins know what they are doing, they are incredible in PvP situations. I'll typically only lose to mages and paladins but can take out just about anything else.

If anyone else is on Sargeras, let me know. My warrior's name is "Mate."

Nah, priests beat pali's 90% of the time. It just takes patience. When I fight a pali I shield and start mana burning them. Usually by time they break through my shields their pool is gone but they are still at full health. Doesn't bother me. They only have 2 lives left. Trick on the second live is to tear them down quick with Mindblast which tends to make them burn their full heal quicker htan they should. Then its just a patience game to widdle them down. Only times I don't win is when they jump me and i'm not at full health.

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
Nah, priests beat pali's 90% of the time. It just takes patience. When I fight a pali I shield and start mana burning them.

Dispel on them while they are closing. Makes them do a ton less damage because they lose their blessing of might and their seal. They will either do little damage or they will re-cast, which not only uses some mana (not a whole lot,) but also halts their mana from regenerating while you're burning them.

I save my fear for when they are trying to heal (if not bubbled), then mana burn again while they are running.

Repeatedly using Rank 1 SW:p works too, they will often think it is a high rank DOT and will cleanse it, wasting more mana. Since most pallies (except for the really good ones) have half or less the mana of a priest, we can play the DOT/cleanse game all day long and I will ultimately prevail.

A warrior though should have a very tough time against pallies. Unless the pally is bad or dumb or both, a pally of ~same level will beat a warrior.

Back