Thinking of picking up skyrim

Get the game, but don't worry about mods at first. I'm glad I completed the game without mods first, because now that I'm playing it again with mods it gives the game great replay value.

Steam has a good deal on the total Skyrim package. It has all the DLC's built into it.
And, yeah, I wouldn't download any mods that change the game, but I would get the ones that "upgrade" the UI, and the look of it.
Default look isn't too bad, but could be a lot better with just a couple of mods.

Another vote for a "vanilla" play-through before you go crazy with the mods. Get the UI mods and the unofficial patches, etc, but hold off on others until you know the game and know what you want modded, etc.

Vanilla is over-rated, IMHO. Why force yourself to play through something that's broken or not to your liking?

I mean, I ran a lot of mods when I was playing, but almost all of them are graphical or 'enhancement' mods that didn't change most things that much, but a few of them are ones that added more item and weapon variety or overhauled the balancing and difficulty.

Vanilla is over-rated, IMHO. Why force yourself to play through something that's broken or not to your liking?

Because you need to know what you're modding before you mod. My first go with Skyrim was very unsuccessful because I tried to load up 100+ mods before getting past the first dungeon.

The problem with mods, regardless of quality, is that they tend to introduce inconsistencies into the overall experience. (For example, gorgeous modded grass surrounding a vanilla rock that looks crappy by comparison.) A lot of times, the benefit outweighs this drawback, which is why I think mods are great! I just think you need to know WHAT you're modding first. A vanilla play-through is a great way to do this.

Does this actually add locational detail to the text of the quests in your log? So you'd be able to find where to go based on what the objective says instead of having to follow the marker?

You really want to use Even Better Quest Objectives.

Don't forget Better Dialog Controls and Better Message Box Controls.

How does a person know they aren't going to like it until they play it?

Playing Skyrim without mods is a perfectly reasonable thing. That was undoable for Oblivion, but not for Skyrim.

SKSE (standalone program)
SkyUI
HighResTexturePack01
HighResTexturePack02
HighResTexturePack03
Unofficial High Resolution Patch

That's all I'm playing with ATM and am very content with my experience.

I'll go mod crazy later (best to, you know, PLAY THE GAME for a bit first heh)

Graphics mods like ENB will work wonders! Stop playing now and download a few. Trust me you will piss your pants with some of them. However I would stay away from some of the town mods, at least on first playthrough because it does change the "feel" quite a bit.

SKYUI IS a MUST so... FOUTH'd

How does a person know they aren't going to like it until they play it?

Playing Skyrim without mods is a perfectly reasonable thing. That was undoable for Oblivion, but not for Skyrim.

Nah Oblivion was a fantastic game on its own. I loved it.

I played vanilla for a while and loved it, then started mods and that is as much fun as the game.
Great list in this thread.

One of the best pieces of advice I read when I was waiting for my game code to get emailed to me was to try things in the game I would normally not do. Like I always start off with a warrior class human and go from there, this time I started a Kajit or whatever the cat dudes are and worked on stealth more than anything. Just a great fun game.

I played vanilla for a while and loved it, then started mods and that is as much fun as the game.

My wife says I don't really like playing Skyrim. I just like modding Skyrim. Since I have 338 mods installed, maybe she's right.

BTW, I learned something very interesting about keeping Skyrim stable (besides the stuff you read eveyrwhere about the subject). I used the S.T.E.P. - Skyrim Revisited guide as a base for my install, and changed it to meet my needs (low mem vid card so I skipped a lot of the hi-res texture mods). Anyway, it was running just fine one day, then the next it crashed about 12 times in 5 hours. Nothing odd showed up in the log files, so I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Finally, in desperation, I rebooted my PC. I fired up Skyrim again, and it ran flawlessly. I have confirmed this several times since. I leave my PC running 24/7 and don't reboot it often. However, to play Skyrim, I now always reboot before playing.

Isn't there a mod that turns the dragons into Fluttershy?

Yep, I used it all the time

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6395/?

---

I really wish there was some kind of "painted-look" texture pack, IIRC Morrowind had something like this, I'm really tired of realism I like my games to look like games not photographs but all the mods are about it making look like that. I was seriously considering that 8-bit mod but I want it more painty kind of like WoW or Torchlight.

Last edited:
Another vote for SkyUI. The default UI was developed by monkeys of low intelligence.

If you're a completionist Stones of Barenziah Quest Markers doesn't hurt. One of the mods to have unread books glow isn't going to hurt either, if you're at all interested in going through books.

Back