Thinking of making the move to 360

[F8]

Gawd
So I'm frankly tired with PC cheating, and the general constant hardware upgrades, and lacking support and delayed game releases on the PC. Black Ops runs like crap and I don't even feel like messing with it anymore. I think I'm going to sell my PC, and pickup a 360 and a cheaper laptop for web browsing and what not.

How hard is it to get used to FPS games on the 360? Can you get "as good" at aiming as on the PC?

Also I was looking at a few different headsets, and I'm looking for one that incorporates game sounds as well as XBLive communication. Does anyone have any experience with the Ear Force DX11 or the Tritton AX-720?

Will I be able to use HDMI and optical audio at the same time?

constant hardware upgrades? your pc looks to be well over 3 years old so I would hardly call that constant upgrading that you have been doing. just put the games on low settings at 1280x720 or lower and get the same look as on consoles. tbh for the money I have saved on Steam sales compared to console game prices I could build a new pc every other year.

I have not updated my sig in a while, I have a GTX260. I know it's not top of the line, but regardless, I'm tired of having to mess with cheaters, hardware and upgrades, I want to put the game in and play it. Plus I have some family and friends who play on xbox live, and a lot of my PC "friends" are not as active as they used to be.

Last edited:
[F8];1036468212 said:
I have not updated my sig in a while, I have a GTX260. I know it's not top of the line, but regardless, I'm tired of having to mess with hardware and upgrades, I want to put the game in and play it. Plus I have some family and friends who play on xbox live, and a lot of my PC "friends" are not as active as they used to be.
I understand where you are coming from but really many console games also have issues. anyway I don't own a 360 but I use the controller for some games and it isn't bad once you get used to it. after a few weeks even a fps will not be that hard to aim in.

Controller is allright. It's really an aquired taste, you have to try it alot before making a final decision.

Controller + fps = PITA. You'll NEVER be as good as you are with a KB/M, it isn't physically possible.

Constant hardware upgrade? My CPU is 2 years old and if I didn't have upgrade-itus my 3 year old GPU setup would still be plenty for current games.

I had an absolute blast playing cod4/halo 3 on 360 when my friends all played video games. Now everyone drifted away. Playing console games by your self is absolutely dreadful when you know how much better they are on the computer.

And I'm not sure what games you're playing but I hardly ever run into hackers in BO/BC2/TF2.

if you have never used the controller then start off with something like Assassins Creed or Batman AA. that will get you used to the feel without getting frustrated trying to play a shooter out of the gate.

tbh for the money I have saved on Steam sales compared to console game prices I could build a new pc every other year.

Buy used. I've been buying/trading a shit ton of games on glyde; it's just awesome.

Used PC games sales aren't what they used to be, but at least the new releases are consistently $10 less than their console counterparts.

edit. I buy console games for < $20, sometimes less. For every Steam there are 5 other outlets to get games on the cheap for console. Lets see.. hmm trading, used, sales, bargin bins etc.. or just someone giving me one for free!
Even borrowing games is easy. Just borrow the disc for a few days, no installing, no activation, no registration, and it works. Once done, simply return and all is fine.

Though this litterally is an example of a somewhat well done Disc based DRM that actually benefits the end user more than the company (though the companies have responded with DLC... decisions, decsions... I mostly play where my friends are at. On the PC, that's currently SC2. On the xbox, it's currently Black Ops).

[F8];1036468178 said:
How hard is it to get used to FPS games on the 360? Can you get "as good" at aiming as on the PC?

No.

[F8];1036468178 said:
Also I was looking at a few different headsets, and I'm looking for one that incorporates game sounds as well as XBLive communication. Does anyone have any experience with the Ear Force DX11 or the Tritton AX-720?

Look at the Astro Mixamp. It combines game audio and Xbox voice chat very well. There is a main volume knob as well as a mixer knob. You can have full voice chat, full game audio, or a combination of the two. Voice chat too quiet? Just adjust the knob. Voice chat too loud? just adjust the knob.

I used it with a Turtle Beach headset, I think the HPX1. To be honest I can't remember. It worked well.

Yes, HDMI can be used at the same time as optical audio but you will need a special adapter. Also you can look on You Tube to find out how to cut up standard dongles to fit. Hard to explain cuz I've never had to do it. Just look it up and you'll see.

No.

Look at the Astro Mixamp. It combines game audio and Xbox voice chat very well. There is a main volume knob as well as a mixer knob. You can have full voice chat, full game audio, or a combination of the two. Voice chat too quiet? Just adjust the knob. Voice chat too loud? just adjust the knob.

I used it with a Turtle Beach headset, I think the HPX1. To be honest I can't remember. It worked well.

Yes, HDMI can be used at the same time as optical audio but you will need a special adapter. Also you can look on You Tube to find out how to cut up standard dongles to fit. Hard to explain cuz I've never had to do it. Just look it up and you'll see.
you can get the adapters on ebay for about 6 or 7 bucks.

If you are a long time pc fps player, you will never be completely happy with the controller. But you may get to where it's good enough like a couple of my friends, I never got there though. However you will have to change your style significantly, like not relying on snap 180s, aiming by strafing, using radar a lot more, etc...

I can't stand it, even though I mostly play console right now I stay away from shooters because I'm a lost cause.

I played Black Ops on the Xbox the other day and it was "ok" but I had a very hard time aiming quickly.
I'd either overshoot when turning to aim or aim way too slow, either way I would get killed.

I played 3 rounds then gave up.

[F8];1036468178 said:
yes. take a knife to the plastic housing on the connector of the A/V breakout cable, after you take it off you will be able to use both HDMI and the optical.

[F8];1036468178 said:
Can you get "as good" at aiming as on the PC?

most likely no; but what's the big deal? You won't be playing against PC gamers on your XBox.

While I'm a big advocate for PC gaming, I understand where you're coming from. Go for it. If you're not into the big PC exclusive online titles, consoles have a lot to offer. If you just want to pop in and play, and not worry about anything else, you should be happy.

As for the controller...some people like it. I personally hate playing FPS with dual analog, but it's playable. It doesn't matter all that much when you're having a blast playing 4 player co-op with some buddies.

Give it a shot. The barrier to entry is very low. However, I would just advise you to keep your PC for the time being. If you're unhappy with the 360, it's easier selling it off, than it is rebuying a new PC.

You don't have to spend a ton of money on a new computer every year. In fact you can build a computer that handles games better than the xbox for the same price as the xbox. If you dont max out the game settings a cheap PC will last you just as long as the xbox will nowdays. Most of todays games are being released for both and generally are designed for the lowest denominator (xbox).

Now if you like to max every setting and play at a the highest resolution possible and get 60fps on everything, then yea PC gaming is expensive, but the xbox wont make you happy either.

any game you can get for 360, you can rest assured get on PC, since most 360 games see ports except the most exclusive of exclusives, and the 360 is nearing it's end. On the flip side, games are dirt cheap on the 360, so you can get a lotta bang for your buck outta it.

But don't expect to turn that controller into an extension of yourself.

any game you can get for 360, you can rest assured get on PC, since most 360 games see ports except the most exclusive of exclusives, and the 360 is nearing it's end. On the flip side, games are dirt cheap on the 360, so you can get a lotta bang for your buck outta it.

you cannot get Read Dead Redemption, Gears of War 2, Alan Wake and a few others on the pc.

Sure, but he's moving to the 360 for reasons other than the library. He's moving to the 360 for a more simplified experience. Not everyone likes to tinker.

I think RDR will be released on the PC, not sure about the other 2 though. I will say I am mad they are releasing Fable 3 on the PC but not Fable 2.

how much tinkering do you really have to do on PC? I'm just curious. I haven't had to do anything more than simply install a game in the past 2 years. I think the only problem i've had to troubleshoot was not being able to install my retail disc of Fallout 3.

And not a problem, but a huge pain in my asshole was dealing with the DRM on Bioshock 2.

how much tinkering do you really have to do on PC? I'm just curious. I haven't had to do anything more than simply install a game in the past 2 years. I think the only problem i've had to troubleshoot was not being able to install my retail disc of Fallout 3.

And not a problem, but a huge pain in my asshole was dealing with the DRM on Bioshock 2.

Depends. I personally like tinkering, and I like getting the most out of my game experience. When I get a new game, I often spend a good hour or so just tweaking all the settings, possibly modifying an ini file or two.

Of course, you could just plug and play, but that kind of kills one of the best aspects of PC gaming, customization.

Of course, on consoles, you're stuck with what you've got. If the game has frame drops and screen tearing, you won't be able to fix it. You'll just have to live with it.

[F8];1036468178 said:
So I'm frankly tired with PC cheating, and the general constant hardware upgrades, and lacking support and delayed game releases on the PC. Black Ops runs like crap and I don't even feel like messing with it anymore. I think I'm going to sell my PC, and pickup a 360 and a cheaper laptop for web browsing and what not.

While you will never be as "good" in fps games with a gamepad, neither is everybody else, it is a level playing field when playing online. I still enjoy fps games on PC and 360. Sometimes, I will play PC fps games with a 360 controller. AVP for instance plays pretty well this way.

I saw some comments in this thread about hdmi + optical and cutting wires. But the new, slim 360 does NOT require you to do this. I'd suggest the new model if you want to use hdmi and optical audio. The slim 360 has other benefits as well (loads faster, quieter, smaller).

Good short story that supports your desire to move to console: picked up Dead Space for PC. In game vsync caps framerate at 30 fps and introduces lag. Turned off vsync and got massive screen tear. So, did some research and found out turning on vsync in video card control panel NOT the game would fix vsync and give me 60 fps. Did not work. So, I eventually had to dig around the internet to find an obscure program called d3doverrider. This worked. But if I was not a geek with this stuff, I would have just given up. Anyway, perfectly demonstrates why PC games are not for everyone.

Oh, and by the way, Dead Space PC runs great if you are willing to go through all of that baloney (no antialiasing though, unlike the 360 version).

If you are a long time pc fps player, you will never be completely happy with the controller. But you may get to where it's good enough like a couple of my friends, I never got there though. However you will have to change your style significantly, like not relying on snap 180s, aiming by strafing, using radar a lot more, etc...

I can't stand it, even though I mostly play console right now I stay away from shooters because I'm a lost cause.
Same here. I guess for the younger generation or people who never played many PC games to begin with, a controller is fine. I was born and bred on Doom and Quake and CS and all that jazz though so I personally don't think I'll ever be able to feel comfortable with a controller for FPS games. But if it floats your boat, go for it.

As someone else pointed out, you are more limited with a controller, but everybody is on a level playing field. Again, its personal preference; I'm the kind of guy who likes total precision and prides himself on that, whereas other people might feel that hardware factors such as having an old computer or an inferior mouse/keyboard would slow them down on a PC. So really, it all depends on your style.

Just know, though, that the FPS was born on the PC and one day it shall come back in its true form. Or at least I'd like to believe so :p

While you will never be as "good" in fps games with a gamepad, neither is everybody else, it is a level playing field when playing online. I still enjoy fps games on PC and 360. Sometimes, I will play PC fps games with a 360 controller. AVP for instance plays pretty well this way.

I saw some comments in this thread about hdmi + optical and cutting wires. But the new, slim 360 does NOT require you to do this. I'd suggest the new model if you want to use hdmi and optical audio. The slim 360 has other benefits as well (loads faster, quieter, smaller).

Good short story that supports your desire to move to console: picked up Dead Space for PC. In game vsync caps framerate at 30 fps and introduces lag. Turned off vsync and got massive screen tear. So, did some research and found out turning on vsync in video card control panel NOT the game would fix vsync and give me 60 fps. Did not work. So, I eventually had to dig around the internet to find an obscure program called d3doverrider. This worked. But if I was not a geek with this stuff, I would have just given up. Anyway, perfectly demonstrates why PC games are not for everyone.

Oh, and by the way, Dead Space PC runs great if you are willing to go through all of that baloney (no antialiasing though, unlike the 360 version).
forcing vsync on in games like Dead Space only works for Nvidia cards and is one of the reasons I went back to Nvidia.

Yeah, I've been a PC FPS gamer since netquake, which is what is holding me back the most from making the move. But I'm getting lazy the older I get and just don't feel like dicking around with configs just to try and get the game to work. Maybe I'm just projecting my frustration with Black Ops onto PC gaming in general, but it's highly annoying to spend $60 on a game only to have to spend hours trying to get it to work at an acceptable framerate. I don't know where to put the blame, but I think that on the console, everyone is on the same playing field, and there are not vast hardware differences that can lead to errors and issues. Not to mention having to install skype, vent, teamspeak, and steam just to play and communicate with friends. I think I've gotten too old and cranky to bother anymore I guess.

Proof?

Where do people come up with this shit from?

Microsoft is likely to release a new console in 2012 or 2013, neither which is far off

i said it's nearing it's end

not that it was already dead

Reading comprehension, where can a motherfucker learn it?

[F8];1036471919 said:
Yeah, I've been a PC FPS gamer since netquake, which is what is holding me back the most from making the move. But I'm getting lazy the older I get and just don't feel like dicking around with configs just to try and get the game to work. Maybe I'm just projecting my frustration with Black Ops onto PC gaming in general, but it's highly annoying to spend $60 on a game only to have to spend hours trying to get it to work at an acceptable framerate. I don't know where to put the blame, but I think that on the console, everyone is on the same playing field, and there are not vast hardware differences that can lead to errors and issues. Not to mention having to install skype, vent, teamspeak, and steam just to play and communicate with friends. I think I've gotten too old and cranky to bother anymore I guess.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. As in, exactly the same. I'm the guy sitting right next to you on the boat :p

I got Black Ops too, and just like you, I had performance problems at the beginning. I spent the first couple of days reading up various forums and tweaking configs and launching the game several times to check if the changes were helping. I finally got it running smoothly but I have to say, I did not enjoy a single minute of having to do all that just to get my game working properly.

Like you, I think I'm getting too old for this shit. Sad thing is, I'm only 27 years old and I've been a PC gamer for about 20 years now. But in these last 6 months, I have gotten both a PS3 and a 360. Sure, sometimes I think that so-and-so game would look a lot better on my PC, but it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, it's all about the games and enjoying yourself. Believe me, you will not care that Uncharted 2 is running at 720p or whatever because you will be too busy having fun with the game. And unless you are jaded to the point where Crysis is just about the only good looking game to you, you will not mind that the consoles don't match up in the visuals department. As for the control scheme, I'm personally not very good with a controller myself yet, but I've seen people who can use it better than I can even imagine possible. It's not M+KB, but with enough practice, it shouldn't hamper your enjoyment of games. FPS might take a little longer to get used to, but millions of people playing them on consoles can attest to the fact that it's perfectly doable.

I'd personally suggest looking into getting a PS3 because of it's better exclusives, but a 360 is fine too, as it has it's own advantages. If you are to take once piece of advice from this thread... don't subscribe to the platform wars (PC vs console, PS3 vs 360). They are nothing but people trying to make others feel bad about their preferences. Decide what you think is best and enjoy your choices.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. As in, exactly the same. I'm the guy sitting right next to you on the boat :p

I got Black Ops too, and just like you, I had performance problems at the beginning. I spent the first couple of days reading up various forums and tweaking configs and launching the game several times to check if the changes were helping. I finally got it running smoothly but I have to say, I did not enjoy a single minute of having to do all that just to get my game working properly.

Like you, I think I'm getting too old for this shit. Sad thing is, I'm only 27 years old and I've been a PC gamer for about 20 years now. But in these last 6 months, I have gotten both a PS3 and a 360. Sure, sometimes I think that so-and-so game would look a lot better on my PC, but it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, it's all about the games and enjoying yourself. Believe me, you will not care that Uncharted 2 is running at 720p or whatever because you will be too busy having fun with the game. And unless you are jaded to the point where Crysis is just about the only good looking game to you, you will not mind that the consoles don't match up in the visuals department. As for the control scheme, I'm personally not very good with a controller myself yet, but I've seen people who can use it better than I can even imagine possible. It's not M+KB, but with enough practice, it shouldn't hamper your enjoyment of games. FPS might take a little longer to get used to, but millions of people playing them on consoles can attest to the fact that it's perfectly doable.

I'd personally suggest looking into getting a PS3 because of it's better exclusives, but a 360 is fine too, as it has it's own advantages. If you are to take once piece of advice from this thread... don't subscribe to the platform wars (PC vs console, PS3 vs 360). They are nothing but people trying to make others feel bad about their preferences. Decide what you think is best and enjoy your choices.

Nailed it, this is what people need to read and understand why PC gamers are starting to buy consoles. I was in this exact same boat in 2005. Now I still game on my PC today, but I'd say I do 75% of my gaming on a console. I've built countless gaming rigs, ran the 3DMarks, elongated my epeen for years but in the end .. its just not fun anymore.. all that 'work'.

I became a gamer and game now because its fucking fun, relaxing and can provide some kind of escape from lifes sometimes boring grind. I think getting older I realized that nobody actually gave a fucking shit about what kind of PC I had, what framerates and resolution I was running. Girls didn't, my friends didn't and who the fuck gives a shit about if some other guy sitting behind a keyboard might?

Ultimately, I just got tired of yearly upgrades on my PC. I got tired of buying broken games. I got tired of having to manually patch, modify INI files and manage my goddamn video drivers to get a game to seriously (SERIOUSLY) run at acceptable levels. The time came, I was at a cross roads of yet another goddamn pc upgrade. I was spec'ing out the cost and being curious I looked at the 360. Hmm for $299 I could get everything I wanted?

It was time to buy my first console since a N64. Sort of felt dirty doing it, like I was going against all these retarded principles and rules I convinced myself of during all those years of exclusive PC gaming. I suppose a side effect to simply just being ... insecure.

Fuck it, bought the console. I took it home, plugged it in press Power and it turned on! Next I spent 30 seconds getting it online, it worked! Following that I popped a game disc in and pressed Play.. holy shit it worked! Now keep in mind, PC gaming isnt all bad its just that the culmination of all those frustrations made this simple console experience seem the polar opposite. Consoles are the true plug and play experience. Being as all I give a fuck about is the Play part, I want the process before that to be as quick and painless (also cheap) as possible.

So I stuck with it for awhile, bought a few games and didn't really give a shit if they weren't running at 1920x1200 60FPS 8xAA etc.. 720p looked fantastic, voice communication was easy/included, and my friends list grew quickly. A few months later I hardly found myself using my PC, and for a few reasons. It was actually more relaxing to play on my couch. Sure you can do this with a PC, but again.. the headaches of it all. Having both platforms means I now have options. Do I want to play with my headphones by myself on my PC (in the office).. or 5.1 in the living room on the couch with my 360? Believe it or not, often times my mood decides what I play and where. Its great flexibility, it really is.

In the end, its been 5 years. I game on my 360 and my PC still. Its a fantastic balance and I get the best of both worlds. PC gaming isn't for everyone and the same for consoles.

Bonus - I game with my wife, I had to buy another 360 just for her.

Back