thinking of majoring in electrical engineering

Ryanov

Limp Gawd
I'm at Texas A&M University in College Station. I started out in Computer Science and then switched to Computer Engineering (CE) and then decided to switch to EE with an emphasis on integrated circuits and finally have ended up double majoring in both.

I graduate in May, and I have to say that double majoring allowed me to fuse the two subjects much more seamlessly than if I hadn't. You should consider it, and truly think about the broad ideas that are going on. If you are getting a bachelor's and don't want to go to grad school, this is an excellent option. It will set you above a lot of people but not necessarily make you an R&D engineer, which is what I want.

If you get decent grades and get this broad perspective and have good personal skills, interviewers will like you, they will give you a job, and you can get an MBA and start climbing the ladder. Good luck with everything.

Finally, make sure you take the FE and get on track to get your PE (professional engineering licensure)! Even if you aren't a design engineer, it will help your career. A lot of people think it's mostly for civils and MEs, but it's really good for electricals too. Just find some salary studies online. Hope this helps.

ALot of schools won't let you double major in CE and EE becuase they are both in the same department and the fields are so closely related... at most places there's like 6 or 7 courses that are different between the two.

Originally posted by cair0
ok, thats about what i was expecting, i just didnt want to get stuck deigning power grids or something, but i would love to do something like designing guitar amps, or new cell phones, or even microprocessors
You'll never know what you'll end up designing with EE.

I'm a ham radio / audio nut, and now I'm working as a design engineer at a company that makes high power solid state AM/FM broadcast transmitters. It's a dream job :D

When you think "i wanna design a guitar amp" or "cellphone", what do you think? features, etc? your own creative ideas? If you work at Fender or Motorola then you'll probably end up with a 'corporate bitch' job that you hate, but if you work at a small company (eg <1000 employees) then you'll probably see many aspects of your design, which makes things a lot more interesting. Though I'm an EE, I find I'm doing things like user interface, mechanical and thermal design as well..

Back