thinking of going watercooling with exterior case...

Cyber

Limp Gawd
My case is a Kingwin 424. Was planning on getting Danger Den TDX w/ brass top for cpu, Maze 4 GPU, 10ft Tygon tubing, Typhoon-Quad Dual Reservoir, 2 120mm Pro-120 radiators w/ shroud and 120mm fans, and a Swiftech MCP-600 Pump Rev.II. Problem is I dont believe all this will fit in my current setup.

Was going to go to Homedepot and going to purchase 3/4 alluminum angle, rivets, weather stripping, and 1/8 thick lexan.

Going to construct exterior frame with 3/4" alluminum angle and rivet it together with a 'blind pop-riviter.'

I then used 1/8" thick lexan to for the sides and just cut it to the sizes i needed. Was going to use scrollsaw with a 24TPI or finer blade.

I plan on using weather striping between the alluminum and the lexan to make the box air tight, and then riveted the lexan down on the alluminum.

Going to use two 86' Chevette heatercores equipped with 120mm fans to pull heat from radiator on the two side holes on case and equip a 120mm fan on rear of case.

Was going to have this exterior case underneath my computer case.

How do you think this exterior watercooling case will work? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Please take pictures and post. I am considering a similar project this summer. Would like to start in a couple weeks.

At least let us know how it's coming.

kneht :cool:

all i have available for space is on top of inside case next to p/s for radiator and i have 2 5 1/4 bays. if not building external was going to place rad on top of case, res in 5 1/4 bays, pump somewhere in bottom, which i dont think i have space for. was thinking of building that external case for solution. was even thinking of getting cheap p/s to run pump in case by encasing the p/s in that case with its on waterproof bay. will have hole in rear of fan for air circulation.

Cyber, your going to need a stronger pump if you are planning on having 2 Pro Core heater cores in there. That will cause WAY too much resistance in your loop for the MCP600 to handle, and your temps will end up suffering. You'll be fine with just 1 Pro Core on that setup. I can almost garauntee that your temps will be good.

Chcek this thread out, we were just talking about the same thing over there:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=764435

thanks maybe ill go with one radiator and do you think i can fit the pump in case without having to build an external case. i could mount 1 120mm pro120 radiator on top, res in the 2 5 1/4 bays, and just need to find a suitable location for that swifty pump. if i get the gpu block ill be able to move sound card up on slot and might have to work with hard drive cables and i might be able to fit pump on bottom of case below vid and sound card of to side of case. any other suggestions to mount pump. dont want to pop the rivets in harddrive cage.

is that swifty on of the better pumps to get for a one radiator and a dbl 5 1/4 reservoir with the cpu and gpu water block with 1/2 tygon tubing? or is there a better pump?

to just build that external enclosure case to avoid any problems from a leak down the road?

Yeah, the MCP600 will be fine for that. Or, if you could get a Danger Den 12V pump as well, if you want to stick to the 12V route (its a little more powerful than the MCP600 is).

I would imagine that you would have room on the bottom of your case by your hard drive cages to put either of those pumps, as they are both pretty damn small. Looks like you would have plenty of room judging by the pictures. You could always just buy the stuff, and then figure out where you're going to put it... Don't build an external unit unless you have to. Seems like too much of a pain in the ass to me.

One more thing... you should edit your original post if you are just adding little bits of information rather than creating new posts. :)

Back