thinking of going vista

Betauser

2[H]4U
I'm just not sure what to get... it will be installed to my XPSM1710 (if possible).. it's vista compatible.. so which version should i get...

Vista Ultimate or Home premium..

and should i get the upgrade or the full OS?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

ultimate costs too much and with that xps, you wont really need much to what it gives you, just get home premium. got it right now, cool thing about it is you get windows media center :D. dont upgrade, get full os. upgrading ur xp copy is just gonna take up more space and maybe youll run into problems later on. well thats what i thinkkkkk :cool: :eek: start fresh!!!

what's the difference between the 2 OS? Ya, i'm thinking of getting just the home pre.. i dont know what the ultimate ver. will give me anways..

what's the difference between the 2 OS? Ya, i'm thinking of getting just the home pre.. i dont know what the ultimate ver. will give me anways..

With ultimate you can use remote desktop to connect to your computer. (With premium, you still have the client to connect out, but nobody can connect to you - well, without going remote assistance or another workaround...)

With Vista Business, you get the ability to RDP in to your computer, but you don't have the media center products that are included with Home Premium and Ultimate.

There are a few other differences, but those are the biggies.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/default.mspx

All versions of Vista include Superfetch - and that feature itself is worth upgrading for!! You're going to love it :)

I do agree that people should choose versions in accordance with the features they are actually going to use. For most people Vista Ultimate is a waste of money.

• If you need domain join, remote desktop, or a small few other relevent features, then Vista Business or Vista Ultimate are the versions to choose from.
  • If you need the full range of Home Entertainment features then Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate are the versions to choose from.

Vista Ultimate really only "suits" those few people who actually need BOTH the home entertainment and the business connectivity features.

I DON'T, however, agree with the contention that people should necessarily choose a 'Full' installation package over a "Upgrade" installation package. If the prospective customer has an existing Windows license that they plan to disciontinue using then it makes no sense whatsoever to pay the extra for a "Full" package. The Upgrade versions can easily enough perform a clean install of your system too. (See the 'Clean install with Vista Upgrade' topic linked in the FAQ sticky). It's downright STUPID to pay extra for no need!

Whats the difference between Windows vista Ultimate and windows vista
Ultimate Lite?

No difference at all, VE2007, because there is no such thing as 'Vista Ultimate Lite'.

What there is, is a program called 'vLite', which you can use to prepare yourself a 'stripped down' installation of Vista, minus the features you want to leave out. But it's the exact same Vista you are starting with to do that.

No difference at all, VE2007, because there is no such thing as 'Vista Ultimate Lite'.

What there is, is a program called 'vLite', which you can use to prepare yourself a 'stripped down' installation of Vista, minus the features you want to leave out. But it's the exact same Vista you are starting with to do that.

Back