Thinking of going to consoles

Firewall

Gawd
exclusivly.

I know, I know, but I can get most of the games on consoles now, and the graphics are pretty good, there is online options here and more coming.

In all honesty, the only thing stopping me now is counter strike source. God, I can stop plaing that game. It is soooo freaking great. But it is the only game i've been playing on the pc. If I got rid of it, I could sell my x1600 and put that towards a projector and xbox 360, ps3, Rev (i'll call it the Rev till the day I die :D ).

Maybe I will after the next HL2 game comes out. So...June 1st plus a couple of days to beat it...

PM on June 10th and you can get my steam account cheap with css, dods, red orchestra and hl2! lol

You might want to just keep the X1600. You won't get anything substantial for it that would warrant its sale. Plus, if you sell it you won't be able to play CS:S any more.

Tekara said:
Big reason I went to consoles is that it is much easier to get friends over for a night of drinking and gaming with a console than it is with computer games. Lan parties just really aren't a one night, off the cuff, kind of deal; unlike console gaming where you can always hand the controller off. Well that and my living room has a much much bigger display and a far superior sound system than my computer.

When will people learn that any sound system / display can just as easily be hooked to a computer :rolleyes:

I play PC games on my 30" widescreen HDTV with my sound routed through a 700w Pioneer reciever and 7.1 audio system... also, for games that it makes sense for, I use a gamecube controller and sit on my bed while I play...

Seriously, stop arguing that you can't sit back on your couch and play PC games on your bigscreen, because it just isn't true.

I think that part of Tekara's point is that most pc games aren't designed for multiple users on the same system. You can play split-screen Halo or Mariokart, but not split-screen Starcraft or UT. A huge exception this is obviously Worms, which is a great PC party game.

Personally, I think that anybody who restricts themselves to just pc games, or just console games, is only hurting themselves, because both have tons of great games.

Also, keep this thread civil and it will stay open ;)

Yeah but who likes split screen, I can't stand it :p
When friends come over, if they don't bring their own pc, they can just jump on my girlfriends, and we're good to go.

CodeX said:
When friends come over, if they don't bring their own pc, they can just jump on my girlfriends, and we're good to go.

I've played 4-player splitscreen goldeneye on a 13" tv before... :D

to the op:

If all you play now is CS:S, why are you thinking of going to consoles in the first place? Is there a specific game you want?

CodeX said:
When will people learn that any sound system / display can just as easily be hooked to a computer :rolleyes:

I play PC games on my 30" widescreen HDTV with my sound routed through a 700w Pioneer reciever and 7.1 audio system... also, for games that it makes sense for, I use a gamecube controller and sit on my bed while I play...

Seriously, stop arguing that you can't sit back on your couch and play PC games on your bigscreen, because it just isn't true.
You can't effectively play a FPS with a keyboard and mouse on a couch.

Firewall,

I have been an avid PC gamer since 1992. My last console was a N64, and since then I've been PC only. I never was a console fan for resolution, graphics reasons. Also consoles always lacked great online MP aspects.

Everything has changed. Over the past 10 years I've noticed a sickening pattern. I have nearly spent ~$1500 every 2 years on PC upgrades JUST to play new games at decent frame rates.... well fuck that. I bought a Xbox 360 in december and couldn't be ANY happier. For $400 I can now play, great games in HD resolutions, online, and so so so so so much more.

If it weren't for games like Hellgate : London and Neverwinter Nights 2, I would be abonding PC gaming altogether. Its tiring, expensive and slowly becoming a dying scene. Why spend $1500 on a gaming PC, only to hole up in your room alone, or perhaps on vent away from society, just to game on a 19" monitor when you can spend $399 on a full gaming system that also allows online content/gaming, but on the comfort of your couch, with RL friends, humans, with all the features PC gaming has to offer ?

It really is an easy choice, and I encourage you to take the dive. Whats the worst case senario ? You're out a few hundred bucks ... sell your console and retreat back to your room, lol.

Next-Gen Consoles > PC gaming IMO... Don't feel strange for thinking alone those lines, common sense points you in that direction.

CodeX said:

And how many people can you get playing on your PC at the same time? 1, maybe 2? With a console, it's easy to get up to 4.

dotK said:
You can't effectively play a FPS with a keyboard and mouse on a couch.

You could with one of those lap table things, with the pillow on one side and the hard table on the other. I don't have one, but still, you could :p

how can you suggest that using a console controller is any better than a mouse and keyboard. I would personally set the keyboard in my lap and put the mouse on the couch compared to using a joystick. I've tried playing cod2 on the xbox 360 with the joystick, and that is a whole new learning curve on its own. I love consoles, mario kart ftw :D its all about the game really, and FPS games are tough on a console. Then again you can't play 4 person split screen mariokart 64 (legally?) on a pc either :)

For me, it's all about controls. Console's are crap for FPS's. Also, you get better graphics, mods, and more controls over your game... You really don't need to sped 1500$ every year. 300$ on a new graphics card every year is fine. You should probably build a new one every three years, but besides the GPU not much esle needs to be upgraded. A 2.6GHz Opteron will probably perform just as well as a 4 GHz Conroe for quite a while, just because games are GPU limited. It's still a tad more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

I love consoles, but until somone allows mouse aiming for a console, the FPS genre will forever be better on a PC. However I've gotten decent at playing 'em on a console, too. It's not the same, but it's no longer the end of the world in the case of an exclusive game like Far Cry: Instincts. The same applies for anything complicated without a keyboard.

However other than FPS and RTS games - I'll take a console over a PC in any other genre. Good luck using a PC gamepad. There's no standard, so every controller is different. I've had to hop through way too many hoops even making them work for the PC.

There's only harware set-up for programmers, so you know you're playing the game the way it was designed instead of kludgily playing on last year's hardware.

Consoles are good for playing with friends EASILY. No set-ups needed. Just turn it on and there you go. You can't mod things or do anything too crazy, but it's easy.
It's also much easier to set-up to TV/stereo. We all know you CAN do it with a PC, but it's not plug & play like a console is.

If I were you, I'd plan on getting a new PC in the future...but right now everything's in flux. SLI is out there (blech!) and there are several unknowns floating around. Is the Aegia chip going to catch on? Is Vista/DX10 going to work right with today's chips? Is the AM2 going to be "the" standard or a stop-gap?

It's a good time to move onto consoles, but DO NOT give up on the PC as there are some things you can't do properly on a console. Once things get out fo this wacky flux, I think you'll see things get back to normal, too. Right now we're flashing back to 1998 with too many add-ons and too much $$$.

Man, I do miss Co-Op games.. Hmm a mouse aiming device would be prefered on fps games for sure.. Heh i tried playing on a psp the other day.. Damn was I ever so lost!!!!

You know what? I've been thinking the same thing. Consoles are much cheaper ($400 for hardware every 4-5 years vs. $~2000 for a decent rig), easier to maintain, and the ease of use is great. Personally, I don't even mind playing FPS's on consoles. In addition, in the case of the Xbox 360, there is a Xbox Live, which is a great plus. I don't see a reason why not to switch.

theNoid said:
Firewall,

I have been an avid PC gamer since 1992. My last console was a N64, and since then I've been PC only. I never was a console fan for resolution, graphics reasons. Also consoles always lacked great online MP aspects.

Everything has changed. Over the past 10 years I've noticed a sickening pattern. I have nearly spent ~$1500 every 2 years on PC upgrades JUST to play new games at decent frame rates.... well fuck that. I bought a Xbox 360 in december and couldn't be ANY happier. For $400 I can now play, great games in HD resolutions, online, and so so so so so much more.

If it weren't for games like Hellgate : London and Neverwinter Nights 2, I would be abonding PC gaming altogether. Its tiring, expensive and slowly becoming a dying scene. Why spend $1500 on a gaming PC, only to hole up in your room alone, or perhaps on vent away from society, just to game on a 19" monitor when you can spend $399 on a full gaming system that also allows online content/gaming, but on the comfort of your couch, with RL friends, humans, with all the features PC gaming has to offer ?

It really is an easy choice, and I encourage you to take the dive. Whats the worst case senario ? You're out a few hundred bucks ... sell your console and retreat back to your room, lol.

Next-Gen Consoles > PC gaming IMO... Don't feel strange for thinking alone those lines, common sense points you in that direction.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up. I think I'll be offing this pc, get a mac mini, and get a 360. Or, something along those lines.

I don't want to move to consoles as my primary gaming platform just because it's too different for the games I love to play on the PC. For FPS on the console the controls and just disgusting and ugly. To take out a sniper or atleast aim for a target you have to try to aim like 3 times because the first you go too high, second you go too low, and the 3rd try if your lucky you are right on target if the damn guy didn't move. Plus in console FPS you can't turn around as fast and it's hard to bunny hop and do alot of things about once because you need your thumbs to move and aim and trigger fingers to shoot. You would have to take your thumbs off to jump or anything. I have a PS2 but I never play it. I only play the big games that aren't on the PC or aren't the genres I like playing on the PC like Resident Evil 4, God of War, Ratchet and Clank Series, Jak series, racing games, MGS, GTA series, fighting games, etc. It would fit on the controller and be better for aiming but not as good as a mouse. RTS has to be played on the PC same with MMO for the most part. Most console games lack serious replay value. I'd keep a atleast low level gaming PC around so you can atleast try new PC games and play the ones you still like.

The only reason I could see to go exclusivley to console is not having the money to get a good PC. But.. get a job :p

Consoles have some greatness though, Tekken 5, Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart. All ownage. But you have to think, if PC has better FPS, has MMOs, and RTS... what does console have? Fighting Racing and RPG. How many hours can you spend constantly on a fighting game? Not much. Racing? Not much. RPG? 20-30hours roughly on the RPG, or if Fable.. what 5? :p

Lets see how many hours you can rack up on a PC.. FPS online are great, you get to pick what you want to play (unlike Halo2, can't pick the map unless custom game), Mods, etc. MMOs easy to rack up 500+ hours on an MMO. All while posting on [H]ard|Forum, listening to music, and downloading some pr0n :) Plus, I couldn't imagine playing Oblivion more than one character without all the nice mods :)

I will pretty much always stay on PC because I'm such a computer geek. I love building computers, assembling all those parts together, maintaining your hard drive... But that's just me. I tried Halo on an xbox at a friends house and honestly it sucked. Perhaps consoles are ok for driving games and whatnot though.

TheOmniscientCreator said:
You know what? I've been thinking the same thing. Consoles are much cheaper ($400 for hardware every 4-5 years vs. $~2000 for a decent rig), easier to maintain, and the ease of use is great. Personally, I don't even mind playing FPS's on consoles. In addition, in the case of the Xbox 360, there is a Xbox Live, which is a great plus. I don't see a reason why not to switch.

Exactly.

CodeX said:

:eek: you let your friends jump on your girlfriends? :eek:

Seriously though. I'd say keep the PC. Nowadays even if you don't game you almost need a PC for day to day tasks. What about web browsing and resumes and online shopping etc. Plus there's bound to be some game you want to play and you'll regret getting rid of it. Plus you can always download tons of demo's / freeware / homebrew games and mods alot easier and cheaper than on a console.

Lol, I was going to post the same. You have more than one girlfriend, and you share them with your friends when the gaming rig is taken!? :D

But yeah, fellow PC gamer give him some props. I agree with both on his main point. We need to remember when we're talking about Oblivion, that if a big TV is the only reason, it's a lousy one. Though, more console games are Party like. Oh well, these threads are nothing but flammable gasoline by people that have made up their mind anyway.

Pc gaming is hittin the shitter. With all the cheaters, map hackers and crap i was finally pushed over the edge.

I completely agree with noid for the costs too.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
The only reason I could see to go exclusivley to console is not having the money to get a good PC. But.. get a job :p

Consoles have some greatness though, Tekken 5, Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart. All ownage. But you have to think, if PC has better FPS, has MMOs, and RTS... what does console have? Fighting Racing and RPG. How many hours can you spend constantly on a fighting game? Not much. Racing? Not much. RPG? 20-30hours roughly on the RPG, or if Fable.. what 5? :p

Lets see how many hours you can rack up on a PC.. FPS online are great, you get to pick what you want to play (unlike Halo2, can't pick the map unless custom game), Mods, etc. MMOs easy to rack up 500+ hours on an MMO. All while posting on [H]ard|Forum, listening to music, and downloading some pr0n :) Plus, I couldn't imagine playing Oblivion more than one character without all the nice mods :)

What about action (Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, God of War), sports, platformers, survival horror, adventure, etc. ? Let's also not forget the console exclusives that don't get to the PC for months afterward, too.
It's always clear when there are more PC gamers around because all of those genres seem to get lost in the mix. Life isn't only about FPS/RTS games.
There are a TON of games that the PC doesn't do so well, or dev's have simply ignored the genre.

Right now there is no system that covers all of your bases or really even comes close.

Ever since PS1, I have been slowly turning into a console !!!!!!. The X360 really tempted me with its HD and nice online setup, but I still preferred BF2 with a mouse and keyboard. However, I think I will completely turn to the darkside in about a year.

You guys are forgetting one huge thing. The Rev will be perfect for fps. Think of its controller like a mouse on steroids.

mang said:
Pc gaming is hittin the shitter. With all the cheaters, map hackers and crap i was finally pushed over the edge.

From what I hear, my friend said once you get to about level 37-40 on Halo2, someone "standbys" you every game. (They unplug modem in and out to lag you out of the game) Then there's modders that will have automatic rockets with infinite ammo or something. He was telling me that 2x people on his friends list went from a rank 1(brand new accounts) to a 47 in two days from cheating. From what I've heard, Halo2 becomes unbearable at higher levels. I must say on Call of Duty2, even before they had Punkbuster, I had only seen 2 cheaters. Since Punkbuster, none. Bascially, if you stay away from EA games, you will see patches every now and then that take the big bad cheaters away :)

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
From what I hear, my friend said once you get to about level 37-40 on Halo2, someone "standbys" you every game. (They unplug modem in and out to lag you out of the game) Then there's modders that will have automatic rockets with infinite ammo or something. He was telling me that 2x people on his friends list went from a rank 1(brand new accounts) to a 47 in two days from cheating. From what I've heard, Halo2 becomes unbearable at higher levels. I must say on Call of Duty2, even before they had Punkbuster, I had only seen 2 cheaters. Since Punkbuster, none. Bascially, if you stay away from EA games, you will see patches every now and then that take the big bad cheaters away :)

oh the the regular xbox i dont doubt it, but on 360 is hasnt been a problem yet. Being forced to update to new patches for games, or it discs you from live seems to help. Ill admit i have come across some people in BF2 boosting stats, but thats too hard to stray away from, but i havent come across any shit you described above, pretty funny though

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:

Yup, consoles have cheaters, too. Halo is nothing but cheaters over 35.
Admittedly that's really the only one I've seen any major issues for, though.
The 360 makes all of that much tougher (because of the lack of mods), but I'm sure it'll eventually have cheaters, too.
None of this can stack up to some of the old CS stuff with insta-headshots and seeing through walls. That stuff was an issue for over a year before it was totally fixed.

Blinkme323 said:
You guys are forgetting one huge thing. The Rev will be perfect for fps. Think of its controller like a mouse on steroids.

Yeah but Revolution although cool will have the weakest graphics power with no HD support. Also Nintendo didn't even let you play online(with the exception of Phantasy Star I know someone might bring that up) for the Gamecube so the Revolution online will be as messed up as PS2's was. So you'll basically be playing the equavilent of PC games from a year ago with a cool controller. I say the revolution controller is not mouse on steriods but lightgun on steriods.

Abyss of Borg said:
Yeah but Revolution although cool will have the weakest graphics power with no HD support. Also Nintendo didn't even let you play online(with the exception of Phantasy Star I know someone might bring that up) for the Gamecube so the Revolution online will be as messed up as PS2's was. So you'll basically be playing the equavilent of PC games from a year ago with a cool controller. I say the revolution controller is not mouse on steriods but lightgun on steriods.

First off.. the Revolutions Online system will be centralized like Xbox live.. The PS2 didn't have a centralized online system, so your little analogy there is fucktarded up....

also.. if you knew anything.. you would know that the DS's online system is the basis for the revolution online system... and if you experience the DS's onlin system.. you would see that it's actually pretty solid.. so there are only good things to come with the wii's (Revolution) online system...

so stay hush unless you really know what you're talking about..

as for the going to console thing.. i find that i can never really stick to one exclusively.. i usually alternate between PC and consoles..

For me, nothing will ever beat a good FPS on the PC. I just cant get any better than the keyboard and mouse. I can't imagine playing a fast paced game like UT2k4 on a controller, reaction time would be too slow. I pretty much exclusively play FPS games on the PC, with the occasional RTS (Red Alert 2 ;D). Plus the ability to edit config files, change your setups, download mods, skins, whatever else... it just gives most FPS, and other games infinite replayability.

As for consoles go, I'm slowly leaning into Nintendo. Xbox360 is shiny and all, but I just dont see the appeal. I dont have a huge HDTV and entertainment system. When I play games, I just play on my 15" tv in my room. The whole "WOW" of graphics wore off on me back when playstation 2 came out. Plus, any game that I see on the 360 that remotely interests me, almost always comes out on the PC and I just grab that version.

I'll be picking up a Wii (or revolution if you prefer ;D) when it comes out, just because it will be offering a radically different way to play games than the PC could offer. Xbox360 just seems like a PC in console form to me.

PC games can be fun, but unless you are a FPS or MMO obsessed person, you're likely going to have a lot more fun owning a console.

You can rent games, and most importantly, get almost anyone interested in playing some video games with you. That's something that is near impossible on a PC.

I've owned every single "major" console in existance as far back as the intellivision, excluding the sega master system and both of the xbox's.

I've also played a great amount of computer games as far back as games such as majormud, bre, tradewars.

Not ONCE has a friend ever came over to my house and asked to play a PC game with them.
Even if they were a PC gamer themselves.

I'd never switch to one platform exclusively, to me it makes absolutely no sense. I have nearly all the current consoles (including a DS and PSP) and I wouldn't really have it any other way. I guess I'm a PC gamer at heart (and have a high end rig), but I get the games I want, and play them on whatever platform they're available on (or which they're best on). Doesn't matter to me which platform or console, it's about the games.

I'd never give up my PC though. Ever. Like Eagle156 I'm a total geek, I love building and maintaining my own system, and I love the versatility of it, and I prefer playing certain games on PC (like FPS, RPG, MMO).

koneko said:
I love building and maintaining my own system, and I love the versatility of it, and I prefer playing certain games on PC (like FPS, RPG, MMO).

QFT

theNoid said:
Firewall,

QFT. I've gotten sick of spending the cash on hardware upgrades. When a video card upgrade costs more than a console... I love gaming, but not THAT much (at least not anymore). For that price of a new graphics card I can go buy a assload of new games. Also, consoles have finally gotten to the point (graphically) that I can enjoy it as much as a PC (until now, that has been one of the two the biggest reasons I've not went console exclusive). I'm not as fussy about graphics as some are and am quite happy with my 360. And now, most of the games I'm into are coming out on console also (if not being designed with a console in mind in the first place), which is the other major reason I've not went console only.

Mr.Dearthian

I must admit for the pst few months ive been seriously thinking about ditching the games pc, I got my future wife and kids to think about soon, plua i wanna do up the house, i have already spent 2k on new pc hardware this year, so heres what im gonna do:
Sell my shuttle pc with everything inside it, ive ordered a samsung q1 for office/internet/entertainment/satnav/ etc, use a bluetooth mouse keyboard and my existing 23"acd for the docked display (which ill have to buy a vga-dvi adaptor for, i think i can get one cheap
smile.gif
) ill still have money left over to buy a ps3 with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for ut2k7 (ps3 has keyboard and mouse support!!) and ill still have money left over to get the decking done, then next year instead of upgrading i can concentrate on more important things.....
So June 1st (after i have beat sin emergence and the q1 arrives) its bye bye pc gaming

Back