Thinking of going AIO how worried should I be about failure?

While your opinion may be true, we have no data to prove it is.
Radiator being thicker does not mean it is better. All depends on quality of radiator, not it's thickness. Testing of component cooling radiators has proven this many times.
No frills is nice but again it doesn't mean it's better quality or better performing .. or how long it will last.
P12 seem to be good fans, but it will be another couple years before we beging to know how well they will last.
True, Gamers Nexus has reviewed the 280mm and 360mm, and its pretty much top of the chart on almost every test performance.
iirc Steve did attribute some of the performance to the thicker radiator and it could heat soak better.
I'm planning on replacing the fans so it's less relevant to me Arctic has a decent reputation in the fan category though.

So we are going to that weird in btw aio or open loop?

At that pt OP should just start collecting premium used open loop components.

The semi aios are priced close to where everything used except for a pump sit.

Yea, this. When you're at the point of the premium aio, you should start thinking about a real albeit budget loop. Then build upon that base. Imo aio suck, even the premium ones which just suck less.

Corsair tends to have 5 years of warranty on theirs.

I've only once seen anyone on here report that theirs leaked and damaged stuff back in ~2010 when a forum member had their H100 or something like that experience a catastrophic failure.

As I recall Corsair swooped in and took care of everything, replacing all damaged parts. I was really impressed with their customer service.

In general these things slowly degrade over time as the coolant evaporates out of the line. This was a bigger problem with the early AIO coolers. Good brand name ones seem to behave much better as they age now.

I've gone through 12-15 AIO's since they first came out about a decade ago, all of them Corsair, and in that time I have had no leakers, and one which had a pump failure after 4 years and was replaced under warranty.

In general I find they tend to fail gracefully enough these days that you don't have to worry about damage, and they last long enough that at least I was ready fir an upgrade and a better newer cooler long before they died.

I've only once seen anyone on here report that theirs leaked and damaged stuff back in ~2010 when a forum member had their H100 or something like that experience a catastrophic failure.

There are many failures on the forum. You just haven't come across them but if you bothered to do a search you'd see this.

There are many failures on the forum. You just haven't come across them but if you bothered to do a search you'd see this.

That's Fine.

I don't know everything.

There have been a couple of recalls by corsair on units that were manufactured wrong.

That said, my take is still that leaks are excessively rare to the point of not needing to worry about them.

That's Fine.

I don't know everything.

There have been a couple of recalls by corsair on units that were manufactured wrong.

That said, my take is still that leaks are excessively rare to the point of not needing to worry about them.

I use AIO's sometimes... when I need a lil more cooling than air but its not so great that a crap aio can't handle. And when I do I always try to put in a backup, ie. cut a chunk of high absorption foam and stick it under the pump. It's ghetto but its 1 buck worth spending.

Corsair tends to have 5 years of warranty on theirs.

As I recall Corsair swooped in and took care of everything, replacing all damaged parts. I was really impressed with their customer service.

In general these things slowly degrade over time as the coolant evaporates out of the line. This was a bigger problem with the early AIO coolers. Good brand name ones seem to behave much better as they age now.

I've gone through 12-15 AIO's since they first came out about a decade ago, all of them Corsair, and in that time I have had no leakers, and one which had a pump failure after 4 years and was replaced under warranty.

In general I find they tend to fail gracefully enough these days that you don't have to worry about damage, and they last long enough that at least I was ready fir an upgrade and a better newer cooler long before they died.

That's my experience with them.
Fear and uncertainty always creep into these threads, so calm always has to be injected.

Worst comes to worst if OP doesn't go budget used open loop, is to keep the existing air cooler as a backup and just buy whatever aio suits his install environment and use case.
This is a lot like a new rider trying to select a starter bike that he can't crash.
It's all about how you ride it, not the bike itself unless you choose way out of scope.
https://twitter.com/Ffs_OMG/status/1329545903179505664?s=09

The only aio I've ever had fail was an Antec branded 80mm back when I was rocking an Intel 570j and a pair of 6800ultras.
X years after I gave that pc to a buddy it finally went dry.
Thermal protection kicked in and he had to go buy a new aio.bc those last 1c cpus ran stupid hot.

Last edited:
As being said, if you really want to go water cooling build your own loop.
Talk to members with custom loops.
We have members who have been water cooling for 15 years, some even longer. Find out which components are best, post up wanted in members market, and start collecting.
Basically it's radiator, waterblock, radiator, reservoir, pump, fittings, hose and coolant. Choose carefully and don't spend too much. I'm guessing you can get everything for $100-150.

Once you have components, build your loop. You can build it in case and test run to bleed out air and check for leaks before powering up system, or build it on bench and bleed and leak test before installing. Obviously once it's installed test it again to be sure there are no leaks before powering up system.

Thinking of going AIO as my Noctua and my 3080 are touching each other in a few spots and super close in others. Also the noctua is blocking at least half of the rear fan on the 3080

Worried about failure, leakage etc and ruining an entire computer which would freak me out naturally.

How long do these things last anyway.
Big OEM's like Dell have been using them for years now. IMO there is nothing to worry about it.

Back