Thinking of getting a Mountain Mods case.

jchahn

Limp Gawd
****************************************************************************************************************************
Edit: this was originally written in the wee hours of the morning. I've rewritten it for coherency's sake.
****************************************************************************************************************************

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Mountain Mods case. My tentative machine is listed in my sig. I'm debating between a Twice7, Horizon, or maybe if I'm feeling a little bit crazier a Duality.

Twice7

Pros:
  • Smaller footprint.
  • The pics and description on the MM site is outdated, it now actually has 3 fans on the front (2 on the left, 1 on the right) so you can use a Swiftech MCR-220 and an MCR-120 or possibly a PA 160.
  • In the newer version the HDD bay has been relocated to allow for any size PSU.
  • Good air flow

Cons:
  • Can't fit larger CPU HSF's.
  • Doesn't have room for extreme watercooling systems.
  • Less room for upgradability
  • $300 (probably close to $350 after fans and accessories)

Horizon with original top:

Pros:
  • Has enough space for an extreme watercooling system, and pretty much anything else I might want to put in it.
  • Motherboard lays horizontally (seems better to me)
  • Can fit the larger CPU HSF units
  • 8 120mm fans
  • place for 2 PSUs

Cons:
  • Big physical footprint
  • $400 (probabaly closer to $500 after fans, accessories, etc.. maybe more)

Duality with original top:

Pros:
  • I can put both my current rig and new rig in the same case.. thus having both my gaming maching and server in one neat little package.
  • Both computers would get great air cooling.

Cons:
  • If I pack two machines into the case, I would be sacrificing the ability to have an extreme cooling system.
  • All my eggs would be in one basket.
  • I'm sure having two machines in the case would increase the weight substantially, so I probably wouldn't be taking it to any LANs anytime soon.

So basically, do I want the smaller, less overbearing case with potential for a more mild watercooling system.... though it seems strange to call watercooling mild. Or do I want to go balls to the wall and get the big daddy case with potential for extreme watercooling madness. Or do I want to get the duality and put both of my PCs in one neat package.

Decisions, decisions.

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations, etc are appreciated.

Thanks for listening to me think out loud,
jchahn

I have a MM Opti chasis and love it, best case I ever owned, tho expensive....yet worth it. Even if you didnt water cool, it has excellent air flow. Whatever one you go with, you wont be disappointed with your decision. Great case. cheers.

I like the Twice7 because its smaller (14"x14"x14") and I dont plan to watercool. I like how the Horizon (18"x18"x18") has the mobo lying horizontal instead of vertical. The Twice7 be great for those wanting a small MM lanbox that fitted ATX mobo and psu. But the Twice7 fits the mobo vertically not horizontally.

Three months or so ago I email MM and asked if there was a horizontal version of the Twice7. They emailed me back and said no but they were planing on making a horizontal mobo case that was between the size of their Bobslay and the Twice7.

I didnt email them back asking when it'd be out. I just assumed it'd be this year. You may want to contact them and ask them if and when its coming out. It sounds like it'd be a great option for those wanting something a little smaller than their bigger cases.

I like the Twice7 because its smaller (14"x14"x14") and I dont plan to watercool. I like how the Horizon (18"x18"x18") has the mobo lying horizontal instead of vertical. The Twice7 be great for those wanting a small MM lanbox that fitted ATX mobo and psu. But the Twice7 fits the mobo vertically not horizontally.

Three months or so ago I email MM and asked if there was a horizontal version of the Twice7. They emailed me back and said no but they were planing on making a horizontal mobo case that was between the size of their Bobslay and the Twice7.

I didnt email them back asking when it'd be out. I just assumed it'd be this year. You may want to contact them and ask them if and when its coming out. It sounds like it'd be a great option for those wanting something a little smaller than their bigger cases.

I took your advice and emailed them. I just got this reply back a few minutes ago:

from Mountain Mods - Support
date Aug 1, 2007 2:50 PM
subject RE: Twice 7 question.

Yes its true.

It’s going to be released today (I should say late tonight) – pre-order to production.

They will go on sale now, with various options and be complete by mid September.

Cheers,

Mountain Mods

3400B Guignard Dr.

Hood River, OR 97031

541-386-0086

www.mountainmods.com

This is very interesting news. It would have to be a super great case for me to be willing to wait until mid September for it. I'd have to get a cheapo case to tide me over until then.

Holy cow! I was just looking at their site yesterday and didnt see anything. Do they have pics up yet? Right now I'm putting together a Qmicra build. Skotty wants a MM case for Xmas! :D

Holy cow! I was just looking at their site yesterday and didnt see anything. Do they have pics up yet? Right now I'm putting together a Qmicra build. Skotty wants a MM case for Xmas! :D

I asked him if they were going to have it up on the website tonight and he said, "Website will have 3d renderings, various options, and full order processing." So they start pre-ordering tonight.

Well, it looks like they're about to have it.. there is a new case listed on the website called the H2g0 ... judging by the 3d sketch it looks pretty cool.

And its only $180! Thats alot cheaper than a Qmicra!

"The H2gO was designed for the enthusiast on the go. Measuring up to 17 inches deep, 13.5 inches tall and 12.75 inches wide, makes this case highly portable without sacrificing in the cooling or technology departments. The case is like all Mountain Mod cases broken into 2 separate chambers. The Top chamber houses a full ATX (or smaller mATX) motherboard and no other heated components. This allows for an awesome view through the top and side window of the case. The 2 x 120mm intake fans blow in symmetry with the back 2 x120mm fans for full AIR chamber effect. If air just isn't enough for you then purchase a Thermochill PA 120.2 and attach it internally on the front of the unit (other manufacturer radiators can work as well by attaching one fan to chassis only and the other to radiator then chassis). If one Thermochill PA 120.2 isn't enough purchase yet another and attach it to the back of the unit, externally and route your tubes through the lasered out holes in the chassis for up to 7/8 inch OD tubing. Still if that is not enough 2 more 120mm blow holes exist on the bottom chamber and are quite capable of holding a Thermochill PA 120.1, PA 160, or any other single radiator. Also on the lower level up to 3 x 5.25 devices can be mounted. There is 17 inches of clearance for the most endowed of power supplies. A single set of Mountain Mods 120mm HD racks are included for mounting up to 3 hard drives out of the box. Purchase an additional set for up to 3 more drives. These can attach to the intake or exhaust on the lower chamber. The exterior of the case is all 1.65-3.25mm thick ALU. The Motherboard tray of the H2gO is made from 1/4 inch cast acrylic and separates the two chambers. Elegant holes are laser cut into the acrylic to route cables from the lower chamber up to the motherboard. The motherboard IO ports are oriented on the side of the case like our Mountain Mods Bob Slay, to allow for easy connectivity of PCI, IO, USB, Fire Wire and other connections. The H2gO includes a set of Mountain Mods acrylic feet. These can easily be swapped out with our caster kits for rock and ROLLing action. The H2gO comes with a single high quality anti-vandal power switch. These can easily be substituted with Bulgin style switch for LED indication. Select the optional chrome handle install for single hand carrying action. All of these features with a great sticker price make this unit a Mountain Mods must have!"

It looks neat. My problem with it (and it's pretty much a deal breaker for me) is that the "back" of the MB is on the side in this case... so all of the cables for everything stick out on the side. It's fine for lan parties, but for a rig that's at home most of the time, that's really unsightly and impractical.

It really more like an oversized Bob Slay than it is a hybrid Twice7/Bob Slay... there's not much in common w/ the UFO/Twice7 models. I'm sure it'll be really popular for the lan party market (it has alot more watercooling potential than the Bob Slay).. but I don't think it's the right case for me.

Hey guys, I have had every single MM case they have as of now, not including the newest case out, the H2g0. My curent rig is in the older style Twice7 with the front modded like the new ones, with the 3 120 holes in it. I would have to say for the price, size, and compatibility the Twice7 is my favorite case. I owned a U2 Opti-1203 case before that, and a Bobslay before that, and one was too big to take around to Lans and what-not, while the other one was strictly for air-cooled rigs, or VERY simple water loops. I am hoping to get my hands on their newest case out, the H2g0 and give it a whirl with both air and my water cooled rigs, possibly even phase??:) I will let you know how that goes, but for now, I would say to give the newer Twice7 a try, it rocks.

]^-SPM-^[;1031346728 said:
Hey guys, I have had every single MM case they have as of now, not including the newest case out, the H2g0. My curent rig is in the older style Twice7 with the front modded like the new ones, with the 3 120 holes in it. I would have to say for the price, size, and compatibility the Twice7 is my favorite case. I owned a U2 Opti-1203 case before that, and a Bobslay before that, and one was too big to take around to Lans and what-not, while the other one was strictly for air-cooled rigs, or VERY simple water loops. I am hoping to get my hands on their newest case out, the H2g0 and give it a whirl with both air and my water cooled rigs, possibly even phase??:) I will let you know how that goes, but for now, I would say to give the newer Twice7 a try, it rocks.

If you get one post lots of pics. :) What I dont like about the twice7 is that the mobo lies vertical. I'd rather have a horizontal lay for safer transport when it comes to the bigger HSF units. This new MM case lies the mobo horizontal and its smaller so it looks like they are aiming it at the lan crowd. I like what I see of the design so far but I want to see a finished product first before I'd give it a thumbs up or down. It looks promising at this point.

If you get one post lots of pics. :) What I dont like about the twice7 is that the mobo lies vertical. I'd rather have a horizontal lay for safer transport when it comes to the bigger HSF units. This new MM case lies the mobo horizontal and its smaller so it looks like they are aiming it at the lan crowd. I like what I see of the design so far but I want to see a finished product first before I'd give it a thumbs up or down. It looks promising at this point.

Yes, it looks good for a Lan machine, but I wouldn't use it for my main home rig. The MB I/O ports being on the side is a deal breaker as far as that goes. I like the fact that you can fit 2x PA 120.2 and a PA160 in it though... that's pretty sweet. It would look like a big spaghetti wad in the case though, being as small as it is.

I'm sitting in front of a Water Cooled Bob Slay. The top compartment looks really nice, the bottom is a bit tangled on the cable side. The new design is aluminum so you won't see the bottom compartment - just the top part through the windows. As for the cables out the side. I like it - not for LAN etc, but it's great for popping in a USB key or camera quickly without front ports. The way I have it set up the big 19 inch LCD sits to the right side hiding any cables coming out the side. I like it compared to having to scoot a tower in and out all the time not to mention the 120 fan right on the CPU makes for awesome air cooling.

Well, I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a horizon. I'm just trying to decide if I want the original top or the solid top.

I'm thinking of getting:

Man, it's getting tough to resist.. but damn.. that's like $600 worth of stuff... it sure adds up. Not only do the mountain mods cases cost more than most other cases, but they come with less stuff... no fans, filters, or grills.

In any case, does the above setup look pretty sweet? Is there anything I should look into as a substitue for something above? I like the specs of the scythe fans quite a bit. The dBA to CFM ratio is very nice... but you pay for it. Also, I value function over form so this isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if scythe made an LED version. It kinda sucks to get a case with all those windows and to have fans that don't light up.

Is there a fan that gets comparable performance to the scythe minebea's that has an LED? It needs to support variable speeds because I want to get the fan controllers so that I can keep it quieter when I'm not gaming.

Back