Thinking of getting a MBP. Have Questions

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
I am in the process of selling my Dell XPS 1710. Granted I like it, but I am finding that gaming is just not that appealing to me any more. At most I will be playing WoW and older games. with my girlfriend(she is hooked on it atm:) I am a long time Windows user, but I really love the look and features of the Macbook Pro, and the software package. I will be dual booting. I also tried to dabble in a SFF, but once you get use to a powerful portable notebook, you can't go back. So I am looking for advice. Should I make the switch? Let me know your thoughts. Did you do the same? How did it work out? Please list your likes and dis-likes. Lastly how hot does your MBP work?

I really like my MBP, it's not even the Core2 model. When I first bought it, I used Windows a decent amount, but now I rarely use anything besides OSX.

It does run kinda hot, but the new Core2 ones are cooler.

I'd say OS X is worth it, but make sure you're going to have the software you need. Primarily OpenOffice or (if you're really worried about guaranteed compatibility) MS Office for Mac. Also, don't forget: World of Warcraft is a native OS X app, so you won't have to use Boot Camp to run it.

I'd hold off until around April or May (possibly June). The MBP is due for an update soon, and it will probably include some important changes: Intel's "Santa Rosa" platform, likely faster graphics chips, maybe even advances like LED backlighting (better color, longer battery life). And you're more likely to get the system preloaded with OS X Leopard instead of today's Tiger.

But I think you'll like a MacBook Pro either way. Dell and others have often given 'big' notebooks a bad rap because they don't bother cutting down on the bulk; even a 17" MBP is more portable than some of Dell's 15" systems. The 15" MBP is probably your sweet spot since it's actually somewhat portable but has virtually all the performance.

Well, I'd advice against MBP if the highest video game you play is around Warcraft 3. I would advice toward the MacBook instead.

But I see that you will need to run WoW, so a MBP is more suitable for that. From experience, I was able to get around 25fps in Nagrand (outland continent in the burning crusade) on all lowest setting on my MBP. Battlefield 2 on bootcamp windows ran smoothly at all medium settings at native resolution.(1440x900)

Also note that playing windows specific games is better in BootCamp than in Parallel. Bootcamp has ATI's video driver, while Parallel's video driver lacks some control over the power of the X1600.

I can't help but felt like you are implying that SFF machines can't be powerful. While my SFF isn't the best, it can certainly perform well in many newer games.

I spent so much time trying to decide between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. And since I've bought a MacBook Pro the premium is so worth it. Getting a MBP means you can do everything. Admittedly I don't play games that often, and maybe the smaller size of the MB would have come in handy for school, but for the times when I do play games the computer's there and ready to do so.

If you can get it, go MBP definitely.

Once you switch over to OS X, you'll never be able to go back.....

You know this is funny.

I am an Avid PC builder. Love it, its just so exciting to build your own rig.

I Bought a iBook back in the day, in additon to my PC. Loved it, but not powerful enough to replace my PC. Offed the iBook to a buddy...

in 2006 when the intel iMacs came out, I bought one and replaced my PC. Had it for 1 year, then sold it so I could build a PC again. WHY... it was a good idea for the first 20 minutes until I had to install windows. I have regretted selling my iMac ever since.

Now I am back to get a new Mac again, and this time I will not be switching back to windows at all. I am now fully converted. I may put XP on my Mac Via Bootcamp, but as of right now... OSX for life.

I just recently purchased a MBP (17") to replace a Dell laptop for work. I thought about what I use it for (office suite including email, a Java Windows only messenger client (Internal work item), a telnet / SSH program, DVD watching / TIVO transferring when I travel for business, and occasionally other random apps. Because it is a work laptop - I rarely install / play games on it.

I read about boot camp and decided that I would use it for must have, windows only apps, but that I would try to find Mac versions of the apps that I use. Well - in the time I ordered it, but before I received it, I installed and started loving Outlook 2007 (search is SOOOOOOO fast!!). This meant that I would use Parallels (like VM Ware) and use Outlook 2007 for work email (2nd monitor). I found out that Parallels will actually load the boot camp image of Windows XP that I have partitioned out.

I consider myself, and am relied upon by many others as, an expert Windows user; I am learning OSX and am loving it. It just seems to make sense. I have booted into Windows XP 2 times since I installed Boot Camp, but it is there if I need it. I will probably cut the cord completely after Leopard / Office 2008 come out - as Entrouge is supposed to have the same search features. There are other programs that wrapper windows programs so that I could run my internal IM client.

I am loving it and do not regret moving over to OSX at all.

Once you switch over to OS X, you'll never be able to go back.....

yeah that's true. once you get use to the fact that every button is backwards comapred to windows, then it's awesome. But sometimes I still find windows is more 'natural' to me. Maybe it's just because I've used it for so long.

I just recently purchased a MBP (17") to replace a Dell laptop for work. I thought about what I use it for (office suite including email, a Java Windows only messenger client (Internal work item), a telnet / SSH program, DVD watching / TIVO transferring when I travel for business, and occasionally other random apps. Because it is a work laptop - I rarely install / play games on it.

I read about boot camp and decided that I would use it for must have, windows only apps, but that I would try to find Mac versions of the apps that I use. Well - in the time I ordered it, but before I received it, I installed and started loving Outlook 2007 (search is SOOOOOOO fast!!). This meant that I would use Parallels (like VM Ware) and use Outlook 2007 for work email (2nd monitor). I found out that Parallels will actually load the boot camp image of Windows XP that I have partitioned out.

I consider myself, and am relied upon by many others as, an expert Windows user; I am learning OSX and am loving it. It just seems to make sense. I have booted into Windows XP 2 times since I installed Boot Camp, but it is there if I need it. I will probably cut the cord completely after Leopard / Office 2008 come out - as Entrouge is supposed to have the same search features. There are other programs that wrapper windows programs so that I could run my internal IM client.

I am loving it and do not regret moving over to OSX at all.

You can also search your entourage 2004 emails with spotlight. Its the same type of indexed searching that Windows and Office on Windows is now just utilizing.

Back