Thinking of buying Diablo 3, or should I not? Need help!

I hope Hell gets harder than Nightmare as Nightmare is so easy that I'm getting bored on my Demon Hunter. So if I join a public group do you think Nightmare might become more of a challenge? The one time I joined a group everyone else was just blinking across my screen so badly I got a headache and I haven't tried again since. My latency is 400 - 2,000 on American servers and 258ms on Asian servers. I live in North Carolina. Last night in Nightmare solo mode I was so laggy that the mobs couldn't hit me. I cut the game off because that was just retarded.

:)

I am loving this game right now! I'm playing as a Wizard and it's not too tedius at all. I have to plan my attacks but not to the point of micro-managing and potion drinking.

Okay I'll bite and be that guy. The game for me is a disappointment. Sure, go to the diablo thread and they talk about the game but deep down many know it is mediocre. Mediocre games can be fun for many, many people. That doesn't stop them from being mediocre. MW3 is enjoyed by tons of people but I would call it a mediocre game that got rubberstamped 9/10 reviews.

So, Diablo 3 where shall we start? No dynamic shadows on your character. So you run past torches and your shadow never moves. How lazy can you possibly be to design a modern game like that. Is it a nitpick? Yes. Is it an example of the game lacking polish? Yes. The graphics are subpar and the spell effects are pulled from WoW (queue Blizzard apologists claiming Blizzard games aren't about graphics but about playing experience). I don't see what is so hard about adding more graphics options for higher end machines. Maybe I am spoiled by the beauty of Skyrim and BF3 but this game feels like a step back. What about the great gaming experience? Boss fights feel like WoW. Sorry, they just do. The game feels rushed which is surprising as it was being developed for a decade. Act III and on are worthless and go by extremely quickly. Level design is much more linear. No character customization (what the fuck?) No PvP but they claim they will patch it in later. Auction house makes playing to find loot a joke. You sell everything for gold and buy something better than you will ever find. Woo... fun. So you can ignore the auction house I guess. That is like telling someone complained about too many magic drops to just not pick them up.

4 Player max and NO LAN, nuff said. No way to kick someone if they join your game if it is just two of you. (This can be avoided but it is a nuisance). Monster leveling for when someone joins the game IMO makes it overly hard. It is MUCH easier to simply play solo. The skill page UI is honestly complete crap. Shared magic find: stupid. WHY would they make the game give separate loot but average the magic find? So I can roll 80% magic find while 3 randoms roll nothing and my actual magic find % is 20%. Awesome.

Look, the game is decently fun but by no means do I think it deserves the accolades people have been throwing at it. I'd give in a 7/10 without considering the sloppy launch problems. Fastest selling game means NOTHING. CoD and other franchises sell millions and millions of games but that doesn't make them GOOD!

I am loving this game right now! I'm playing as a Wizard and it's not too tedius at all. I have to plan my attacks but not to the point of micro-managing and potion drinking.

Really?

I run around spraying my laser at everything

You'll definitely be microing in Inferno. Pretty much every Rare/Champ pack I ran into required it. The hardest encounters are anti-micro though (Wallers, Jailers, Fast, etc.) so I either have a much tougher time, die a lot or skip them entirely. Also, invincible minions is just plain obnoxious!

I also found myself clearing large sections of an area just so I can kite without distractions.

Seems like the devs are kinda butthurt the community isn't really embracing the changes...but what did they expect.

But, what changes? Are they really surprised people are not embracing a simplified item system? The biggest problem is the itemization. Only 4 gem types. The same boring stats on all the loot. NO unique loot for certain bosses or zones... there's no reason to go kill X for ___ drop, because EVERY single item is a world drop... imo, the dumbest thing they could have done.

Zarathustra[H];1038758537 said:
If you value the lifespan of your mouse, I'd advise against it :p

I hope no one is actually click-spamming their mouse. Hold shift. Hold left click. That's all you gotta do.

I hope no one is actually click-spamming their mouse. Hold shift. Hold left click. That's all you gotta do.

Thats what i keep telling the wife. Her G5 is my old one, its the original from way back when. Its survived a lot but this may be pushing it. Says a lot for the durability of mice. I expect to see legions of QQ over all the shody razer mice that D3 will chew up and spit out.

Thats what i keep telling the wife. Her G5 is my old one, its the original from way back when. Its survived a lot but this may be pushing it. Says a lot for the durability of mice. I expect to see legions of QQ over all the shody razer mice that D3 will chew up and spit out.

Breaking a mouse because of bad habits isn't a good excuse to get a new mouse! :eek:

Ive heard mixed reviews about it. So couldnt tell you as I dont own it yet.

Seriously the best game I have ever played. I am a FPS gamer that got into WoW. This game has got me hooked. I play with about 6 of my friends every day for hours since release. Its a BLAST,

Okay I'll bite and be that guy. The game for me is a disappointment. Sure, go to the diablo thread and they talk about the game but deep down many know it is mediocre. Mediocre games can be fun for many, many people. That doesn't stop them from being mediocre. MW3 is enjoyed by tons of people but I would call it a mediocre game that got rubberstamped 9/10 reviews.

In a way, it was never going to be more than a disappointment for many players.

Back when the original and D2 came were out they were a lot more in keeping with the games of their time. Translating this concept to a 3rd game 10 years later, when the game industry has evolved as much as it has was always going to find many disappointed.

I played Diablo II for a semester back in college, until I grew tired of it. For me the whole RPG, leveling thing was new to me, and it made it interesting, but that wore off after a while. I was curious about Diablo III based on that, but I never thought it was going to be anything more than a fun modernized throwback to a simpler gaming time.

I haven't even bothered reading about, testing, or looking at videos of Diablo III for this very reason.

U haef SOJ?

Level 43 Nightmare level Monk here...

it's fun, but I'm a bit sad I paid 65 (with tax) for this game. I'm having an okay time, but it's not the pure magic of D2. Maybe I like the punishment but in D2 when you had a few skill points, part of the fun was thinking carefully about how to spend them. here its just a free for all.

so with the 5 classes I'm supposed to play through the game 20 times? That's a bit much to expect a user to run through the same story, the same content 20 times just to "play it all"

Even as a huge fan this game really is only worth 40 dollars at most. I too predict there will be a huge exodus after a few months.

I can easily see myself getting back into BF3 (even after 200+ hours invested in it) At least I can get into a game and NOT know how it's going to end up.

But, what changes? Are they really surprised people are not embracing a simplified item system? The biggest problem is the itemization. Only 4 gem types. The same boring stats on all the loot. NO unique loot for certain bosses or zones... there's no reason to go kill X for ___ drop, because EVERY single item is a world drop... imo, the dumbest thing they could have done.

They specifically wanted to avoid people farming for the best items. Also the I'm sure the first expansion will offer up much more on the gem front.

They specifically wanted to avoid people farming for the best items.

Yea i understand their goal with that, but now it's like farming for WoW world drops, which is the dumbest thing you could ever do in WoW =P (I know, i tried once and wasted many many hours for no magical item lol)

I think it's a crucial mechanic they overlooked, the hope for getting a drop. Now, you can't hope for any drop because it's all strictly random. Have you seen shawshank redemption? Hope is important ;)
Also the I'm sure the first expansion will offer up much more on the gem front.
I'm sure of this too. We'll get another class or two, more gems, another act, and hopefully they'll put charms back in :drool:

You never know. There will likely be a large drop-off in about 1 month.

This is not a subscription based game. A drop off doesn't matter. And I don't think it's likely.

The game has been out for a little over a week and has already sold 6 million copies. It's not going to drop in price any time soon.

This is not a subscription based game. A drop off doesn't matter. And I don't think it's likely.

The game has been out for a little over a week and has already sold 6 million copies. It's not going to drop in price any time soon.

You don't think they'll lower the price is half the people stop playing as much in a couple months? As you said, it's not subscription, but i'd think since they already got their 6 million @ $60, they'd want to get some more people playing at $50 or $40.

I can't help but think that continued interest in a title is part of their equation. They're releasing 2 expansions, so they want as many people still interested in the game as possible so they'll get more people buying expansions.

You don't think they'll lower the price is half the people stop playing as much in a couple months? As you said, it's not subscription, but i'd think since they already got their 6 million @ $60, they'd want to get some more people playing at $50 or $40.

I can't help but think that continued interest in a title is part of their equation. They're releasing 2 expansions, so they want as many people still interested in the game as possible so they'll get more people buying expansions.

Its blizzard look at their track record. They dont lower prices on games for a long time. Thats not to say there wont be some sales here and there but the MSRP is going to stick for a while. They will get everyone they possibly can in at $60 then drop the price.

Its blizzard look at their track record. They dont lower prices on games for a long time. Thats not to say there wont be some sales here and there but the MSRP is going to stick for a while. They will get everyone they possibly can in at $60 then drop the price.

Exactly. I was looking to buy SC2 a bit ago but saw the price was still full retail, I suspect it will be the same with this.

buy and play HARDCORE!!!!!! you will never get bored or fall asleep

I do plan on making some hardcore characters eventually, but i reckon it'll go like this... Beat normal, feeling badass.

Die in act 1 nightmare--WTF!?!??!

/quit

UPDATE!..... As I am the OP it's only fair I let everyone know my decision. A friend of mine was nice enough to loan me his Battlenet account, he had a digital copy with no demo key, so I finally got to test it out after all. I had enough fun to go out and get my own copy. Is it a true successor to D2? ...Not really, but I now have a level 43 Barb in nightmare act 2 with no plans on slowing down.

My thoughts, as I take the time to address all of my original concerns and even some of the concerns of others, on the game :

1) It is true that using the auction house completely negates the wasting of any time/gold on crafting equipment, but the jeweler is still viable. That said, the AH is fun to play with in its own right, especially when not-so-savvy people are posting 20k to 50k gear for only 5k all the time ;). One could even make a meta game out of buying low and selling high if you're into that sort of thing.

2) Good loot drops are not too low like I originally speculated, but they are definitely geared, sorry for the pun, towards the use of the AH. This is not such a bad thing IMHO, see above. I must say that I am worried how the economy may change after the RMAH comes online, though, as I will not be using it.

3) Character skill customization has been overly simplified. Gone is the thrill of leveling and getting to pick out a cool new skill to play with, then again, gone is the frustration of picking that skill only to find out you've completely gimped yourself days later with no other recourse but to start over and use some cookie cuter template you've read online. I guess it sort of balances out, but alas, they had plenty of time and money to make something more complex and rewarding. Point off!

4) The graphics are just as I expected from a Blizzard game and are a welcome upgrade from D2, though, they could have made them scale higher. Looks nice on my 46" Sony Brava.

5) If you don't want normal mode to be too easy stick with crafting early on and stay away from the AH till nightmare. Small gripe here.

6) The always online DRM is very annoying and during peak hours can spike a bit often to 500 or 800 ms. One day I had to quit playing for a few hours till the servers thinned out. Two points off!

7) People are claiming they are getting hacked during public game sessions even though they logged on with authenticators. For now I stay out of public games. Blizzard denies that their servers have been compromised while at the same time postponing the RMAH indefinitely. They claim to be doing this to work more on server stability. I call BS! I think the only reason they would put this potential cash cow off indefinitely is for security reasons and security reasons alone. Both the RMAH, and the AH, are housed on separate servers from the game. They must do this because the higher scrutiny required on the RMAH would cause a lot of lag and be detrimental to gameplay. This is why you must leave the game to access it. They will NEVER tell us otherwise as confidence in security is a must or they can flush their precious little RMAH down the drain.

I think a 7 out of 10 is the right score, however, if the lag was much more for me I'd say 6. Hope this helps someone else make their own decision and thanks for all the help guys!

Well you're playing a melee class that's going to get hit by stuff regardless so I suppose latency doesn't matter as much. I'm playing a ranged Demon Hunter and I was thinking the game deserved a 95 / 100 because of the lack of drops for your class and having to farm the AH. Otherwise it would have been perfect! But after getting to the end of Act IV on Nightmare and realizing that there isn't a way I can beat Diablo with 400ms I gave up.

With the latency issues I've encountered there's no way the game can garner a score above 45 / 100 as it's impossible to avoid boss damage when you're getting warped back into it. Four times in a row on the Diablo fight I was instantly killed before I could move at the cinematic before the fight starts. On the second phase I will be tumbling out of the way and suddenly just fall over dead when I had 100% health. Then suddenly Diablo appears after I'm dead I get a replay of him killing me. So much fun! :(

Hopefully with your Barbarian you'll have a much better experience. All I'm getting is frustration. I kicked some cash to the game Path of Exile as I have much better latency over there. I even bought my nephews Beta keys for it. Too bad Diablo is unplayable for me at this time.

People thinking there will be a large "drop off" of Diablo 3 players in a month .. all I have to say to you is "lawlz" :p

If anything in a month there will be MORE players , A LOT more in fact. Diablo is a HUGE gaming franchise and has legions of fans. Every dungeon crawling game is referenced against the Diablo franchise .. there is a reason for that.

Even despite Diablo 3's flaws (one of which I can not forgive Blizzard for) its still gameplay wise the best horse in the race , just as it has been for decades. D3 retains its classic feel and that's what most people care about. They don't mind the graphics , they don't mind the character structure differences , they don't care about it being forced DRM online .. they will play and it will continue to grow.

Diablo 3's growth will likely not start "shrinking" at least for a year or two. That's just how popular it is around the world. Blizzard games are appreciated in a way that many game companies would love , Blizzard has yet to release a game that has substandard gameplay and that's important for staying power.

People thinking there will be a large "drop off" of Diablo 3 players in a month .. all I have to say to you is "lawlz" :p

If anything in a month there will be MORE players , A LOT more in fact. Diablo is a HUGE gaming franchise and has legions of fans. Every dungeon crawling game is referenced against the Diablo franchise .. there is a reason for that.

Even despite Diablo 3's flaws (one of which I can not forgive Blizzard for) its still gameplay wise the best horse in the race , just as it has been for decades. D3 retains its classic feel and that's what most people care about. They don't mind the graphics , they don't mind the character structure differences , they don't care about it being forced DRM online .. they will play and it will continue to grow.

Diablo 3's growth will likely not start "shrinking" at least for a year or two. That's just how popular it is around the world. Blizzard games are appreciated in a way that many game companies would love , Blizzard has yet to release a game that has substandard gameplay and that's important for staying power.

This. I've played WoW for 5 years and, despite apocalyptic class balance changes and constant patches, the WoW fanbase has started to go down in numbers "only" after Cataclysm, which is the 3rd expansion after Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. And it actually took a pretty bad expansion to have Blizzard lose significant numbers, even though Burning Crusade changed vanilla WoW a lot.

I've been playing Blizzard games over the years and will still play them. I'm not a hardcore fanboy, I can see Diablo III has many flaws but I still play and find the game fun enough to go on.

dont bother yet, considering you cant even log into the game right now... did they not take any advice and experience from WoW....

Back