Thinking of buying a PS4

Discussion in 'Console Gaming & Acc.' started by ng4ever, May 8, 2019.

1. ng4ever

ng4ever Flaccid 4Evar

Should I? Which one if so ?

Mainly to play Days Gone!

2. wikidlad

wikidlad Limp Gawd

Ha, me too. Love the open world theme and the idea of zombies and taking out outposts with stealth like far cry seems like my type of game

ng4ever likes this.
  3. ng4ever

ng4ever Flaccid 4Evar

So should I ?

4. wikidlad

wikidlad Limp Gawd

Yes. Get a pro. Best Buy has a refurb on sale for $349. And it’s refurb by Sony so no cheap clean job.

ng4ever and Armenius like this.
  5. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

PS4 has the best and most extensive list of exclusives, so go for it. I echo the Pro idea. I heard that Days Gone runs horribly on the standard PS4. If you don't want a refurbished console Walmart looks to have new ones the cheapest at $389.

T4rd, DrezKill, Kinsaras and 2 others like this.
  6. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

100% get the PS4 if you're considering playing the exclusives. Between Days Gone, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spider-Man, just to name a few, the investment is well worth it if you enjoy games. I'd also recommend going the Pro route.

7. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Don't forget Last of Us 2!

scojer and BiH115 like this.
  8. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

I hear you, but if we're talking games that are still a ways off, we have to also include Ghost of Tsushima as well!

Armenius and Kinsaras like this.
  9. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I definitely wouldn't buy it just for Days Gone, given the general critical response to that game.

However, there are a ton of other great titles that make it definitely worthwhile. I would go for the Pro version, as well.

10. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

Sony's exclusives are phenomenal.

All you need is a PS4 and PC today if you're into great singleplayer games. They have quite a few sales in their store too that at times, rival Steam sales.

Armenius, Kinsaras and BiH115 like this.
  11. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

I keep thinking about picking one up, but I'd want a decent TV for it. Right now we don't have any TV so it sort of kills the deal financially.

12. Armenius

You can connect it to a monitor ;). Can also stream to another device.

13. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

My monitors are five year old 24" 1080 60hz. Not exactly something I brag about.

14. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

The only thing I don't like about PS4 is no HD 4K BluRay. That being said, I don't exactly buy a lot of physical media any longer, so meh -- it's in the "It would have been nice" category. XB can also support VRR if you have specific TVs, but I am not convinced that's all that big of a deal. And the XB1X is technically faster, for what it's worth...

The storage options out of the box are also anemic, especially since even physical discs will side load onto internal storage. The older 500G version would be full after 5-6 games. 1TB is better, but still cramped. But that can be easily remedied if you need to - either replacement of internal drive or by adding external storage.

The PS4 is a nice box overall and I enjoy mine. HDR gaming, in my opinion, is phenomenal and made a much bigger impact on me than any resolution bump above 1080 has. And the exclusives are good, H:ZD was an amazing game. I did upgrade to a Pro eventually (after I got my OLED) - I didn't notice a huge change in visuals to be honest (at least from the PS4 to Pro - the OLED HDR made an ~amazing~ jump), but the Pro did come with more storage out of the box and is in general snappier and more responsive.

15. Armenius

I played my console games on a 24" 1080p monitor for years until I started making enough money to buy the good stuff.

BiH115 and Nolan7689 like this.
  16. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

Just bought the PS4 Pro. Can’t wait for it to show up. This ought to be good.

DF-1, MavericK, BiH115 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

Yea, and that's where I'm at. I would feel like I'm doing a disservice to myself for playing PS4 on a lousy monitor setup. Like a Ferrari with a Maaco paint job.

18. Snappshoota

Snappshoota [H]ard|Gawd

Recently traded a spare gaming rig for a PS4, VR, and games. Have an Xbox one, that was our primary console. But once the PS4 showed up, the xbox is literally sitting there collecting dust. Ive always been a fanboy to the xbox, but man the PS4 just works..

So yes, get a PS4, and listen to everyone and get a Pro!

DrDoU and Armenius like this.
  19. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

No you shouldn't.

20. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Don't listen to this guy.

21. Shooter308

Shooter308 Gawd

If you're getting a PS4, definitely get the Pro model. My wife loves playing Fallout 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 on her PS4.

Armenius and BiH115 like this.
  22. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

OP end up getting the PS4 or what? ng4ever

source.gif

23. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

They're too distracted now, you guys did a good job...

Untitled-1.jpg

24. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

PS4 exclusives are mostly what I've played the past couple years, as I've shifted from online FPS games to single-player story oriented games, which Sony has the best in that genre these days hands down.

exlink, scojer and BiH115 like this.
  25. twonunpackmule

twonunpackmule [H]ard|Gawd

Honestly, I'd just save the cash and buy the PS5. It's most likely going to be backwards compatible and it'll net you hardware bonuses similar to PS4 Pro. All those exclusives will be dirt cheap when that comes out. And, you'll get the better experience then. You'll then have the current hardware and can play new releases too.

26. arr4ws

arr4ws [H]ardness Supreme

yeah he could play in a year and a half.

buy a ps4 and have fun , many game to enjoy

T4rd, vegeta535, DrDoU and 1 other person like this.
  27. Rattle

Rattle 2[H]4U

My sig rig is still current. I played nothing but shooters online for years. Until they killed it with P2W crap and loot boxes disgusting lobbies and client side detection. I bought a PS4 pro march 2016 ? never looked back. I only really like good SP games now though. Horizon, Bloodborne alone make it worth it. I actually played Sekiro and Neir automata on ps4 and rise of the tomb raider instead of pc. Waiting for deals on god of war and need to play shadow of colossus. Rock star games suck on anything ! sorry about that last part...

T4rd likes this.
  28. wikidlad

wikidlad Limp Gawd

Was a staunch pc gamer up until about 6 months ago...got an Xbox x and enjoyed wildlands on that much more than pc, after I got used to the controls with a game pad. Just got a ps pro and I’m trying to get used to playing days gone but the controls seem too sensitive. I don’t think I will like FPS using a controller though.

29. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Gawd

Picked up MK11 on PS4 last week. Been a pretty big fan of the MK series since the 1st one and this latest installment is a lot of fun. Most of my gaming is on the PC but there are a few titles and genres I prefer on a console.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  30. TwistedMetalGear

TwistedMetalGear [H]ard|Gawd

Days Gone is great. It's sitting at 8.1 user score on metacritic and the subreddit is full of positivity. Yes there are lots of bugs but they lend to the game's charm. It's kind of a diamond in the rough. The developer's have been doing a fantastic job of correcting things. There's been 10 patches since release.

Armenius, BiH115 and wikidlad like this.
  31. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

32. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm waiting for Bloodborne 2 to be announced before getting a PlayStation...I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne 1 but sold it a year later...

33. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Death Stranding looks to be a PS4 exclusive, so...there's that.

34. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

Most likely. We shall see. I don't mind either way, but perhaps in a few years we could see it on PC (some speculation online about that).

35. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

In my opinion (and many others), the PS4 is absolutely worth the price for the exclusives alone.

I'm primarily a PC gamer but Bloodborne, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Until Dawn, Spider-Man, and Uncharted 4 were some of my favorite experiences thus far this generation. I'm also really looking forward to Death Stranding and TLOU Part II.

T4rd, Armenius, Viper16 and 4 others like this.
  36. mazeroth

mazeroth Limp Gawd

Been a PC gamer for almost 30 years. Picked up a PS4 Pro about 2 years ago and have zero regrets. I absolutely love the exclusives for it. Also, please do yourself a favor and buy the Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted 1-3) for the PS4. Those games are fantastic. Then, after you've played through them, play Uncharted 4. It's an incredible experience.

T4rd, Armenius and Kinsaras like this.
  37. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Really hoping they show some Ghost of Tsushima at E3 next week. Another PS4 exclusive that looks amazing.

BiH115 and Armenius like this.
  38. TheGardenTool

TheGardenTool 2[H]4U

If I could do it all again I would have bought a PS4 instead of an Xbox this generation or at least early in it. Then pickup an Xbox One later. I did it backwards though and got a Pro about 18 months ago. Bought the Xbox One right when the original 1TB systems came out.

Will say it looks good on even a cheap Vizio 4k with HDR. Xbox 1 is mostly used as a media player since it was bought and now the 8 year old plays some games on it. I haven’t sat and played through much on it in years.

The only negative thing I can say about the Pro is the fan noise is real. It’s not all the time and it’s annoying when it happens and the TV volume isn’t up very loud. But I had just got the 4k TV right before hand so of course I wanted the 4k capable system. Otherwise a slim is much cheaper, supposedly quiet, and gameplay should still be respectable most of the time.

39. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

My only gripe with the PS4 pro is the fan. It gets too loud when gaming and continues to run even in rest mode. It is not loud when in rest mode but when trying to sleep in the same room it irritates me and have to completely shut it down. Just too much power squeezed into a tiny space.

40. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

Your PS4 needs to be cleaned or have its thermal paste replaced then. My Pro definitely doesn't run the fan (at least audibly) in rest mode and I'm pretty sure it's the first revision of the Pro. It def can spin up loudly during certain Pro-enhanced games, notably I remember God of War stressing it more than anything else. But playing non-enhanced games, it stays relatively quiet, which is significantly quieter than the original PS4 it replaced.

Armenius and BiH115 like this.