Thinking of buying a Microsoft Surface

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Should I ?

I want something that is more powerful and not limited as a iPad toy.

Should you? yes, because I know nothing of what you want to do with it.

I have a Surface Pro (5? non5?), the one that came after the 4, its pretty swanky it is AWESOME. But there are cheaper OEM alternatives out there that compete pretty well. They will come with bloat, the screen may not be nearly as nice and the touch sensitivity most likely lags behind. The entire land scape right now for ultra portables is pretty nice and the premiums on some of them aren't really that much higher than a slim laptop.

I use mine to run simple simulation software and watch Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

Should you? yes, because I know nothing of what you want to do with it.

I have a Surface Pro (5? non5?), the one that came after the 4, its pretty swanky it is AWESOME. But there are cheaper OEM alternatives out there that compete pretty well. They will come with bloat, the screen may not be nearly as nice and the touch sensitivity most likely lags behind. The entire land scape right now for ultra portables is pretty nice and the premiums on some of them aren't really that much higher than a slim laptop.

I use mine to run simple simulation software and watch Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

Would use it for work, netflix, surfing the web, and very light gaming not like battlefield 5 though.

8gb/256gb, for Netflix/web surfing the Pro would be massively overkill, unless you wanted to watch your streams on a super nice screen.

the 16gb required me to opt for the i7 which was another $400 or something and the 512 was fairly excessive. I don't store files on mine so my 256gb drive only has 70gb's on it right now.

I do how ever want the 16gb version, BUT for what I needed it for and the additional costs it wasn't worth it.

I would recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 right now because of Thunderbolt 3 support. Surface Pro 6's omission of TB3 gets no recommendation from me, especially if you want to do gaming on the tablet. If you get an external gpu box, your tablet could last you a long time. It'll give you the option to do heavier gaming if you want.

Should I ?

I want something that is more powerful and not limited as a iPad toy.

There's a general rule for these things:

You get a Surface if you want a PC that occasionally doubles as a tablet. You get an iPad if you want a tablet that occasionally serves as a PC. Decide what your priorities are and buy accordingly!

The main thing to ask: what does your work involve? If it's standard MS Office / Google Docs fare, an iPad will do fine, but if it's more specialized software, you'll probably want the Surface.

Back