Thinking of Buying 1080 Mining Card

AP514

Limp Gawd
Like the Title says I am thinking of buying a used 1080 that was used for mining
Card was used 6 month or so from what they say...
Not OC
Not Ovolt
Not over 1 year old...

Looking for some input on what the Down Sides of buying this card could be ? up side too..I guess

If you can verify with reasonable certainty that the card was taken good care of (dusted out regularly, ran in a climate controlled area, etc etc) then chances are good that you'll get a card in perfectly serviceable condition with 15 years of life left in it instead of 17.

If you can't be sure that the card way taken care of, buy at your own risk. Way too many miners were tech-ignorant opportunists who set their rigs up in their uninsulated garages and let them run all summer with never even a dusting.

Downside? It doesn't work; it works for a time and dies; some variation of the two scenarios...

Upside? It works and you got it for 'cheap'. See if you can score one with a transferable warranty left (generally look for an EVGA if going used).

i'd like a 1080 Ti FE mining card for cheap... i saw a non-mining card on here for 585, but i think the seller quickly wisened up and listed her on eBay and it's arleady bidding beyond his ask here

hum...interesting thoughts...thanks
As far as transferable........ I think it would be as long as the card is still under the 3 years warranty ? ?

keep them thoughts coming......

Reactions: erek
like this
As the mining farmers small and big are closed down, allot of that inventory of unused cards will hit the market more and more. I expect a large amount of cards at increasing rates will be available in the next several months. Hurting Nvidia as well as AMD new card sells. I expect much better deals in the future.

I sold a Gigabyte G1 1070 for $225 to a coworker/friend who uses it for VR daily - that card mined 8 months virtually 24/7. Really underclocked and undervolted, A/C cooled room. He is very happy with it for the last 3 months or so. For Nvidia cards it was much more worth it to undervolt the cards and clocks except for the memory. Most algorithms the memory would be OC except for something like RVN where you put the memory slider all the way down, undervolt as well as reduce core clocks. Just ask the seller if it is a mining card what coin or coins it mined - that can tell you much in how the card was configured if only a few coins.

As the mining farmers small and big are closed down, allot of that inventory of unused cards will hit the market more and more. I expect a large amount of cards at increasing rates will be available in the next several months. Hurting Nvidia as well as AMD new card sells. I expect much better deals in the future.

Nail on the head. This crypto bust has just started, there's a lot more fallout of cheap GPUs and PSUs to come. Especially if AMD releases something that competes in the 2080/1080ti bracket. Keep an eye out on craigslist.

I'd say any miner who is selling their card and explicetly stating it was mined on, is likely safe to buy from.

I have 57 cards in action right now, all under strict TDP / fan limits...and they are in premium shape because I consider my farm an investment. A 35k investment.

When it is time to flip them, I'll have no issues declaring them as farm cards. I'll also have no problem getting non-firesale prices either ;)

I'd say any miner who is selling their card and explicetly stating it was mined on, is likely safe to buy from.

Got the card (MSI-1080 Armor)from a Member here that had some listed in the Buy/Sell section...should show up from California next week or so....

I guess it is time to start a Thread on Builds in the General HW section....

Like the Title says I am thinking of buying a used 1080 that was used for mining
Not OC
Not Ovolt
Not over 1 year old...

Looking for some input on what the Down Sides of buying this card could be ? up side too..I guess
Enriching your electric company. :LOL:
Mining on GPU is not the most effective way to mine anymore. Wasting your time and money.

I didn't..(you have to fully read to understand)....still awaiting my Planteks P350x case to arrive so I can test the card out---- FOR GAMING

so in the mean time I built a rig to put in the case..

Arorus pro Z390-MOBO
EVGA CPU CLC 280-AIO
970 EVO 1TB- NVMe M.2
EVGA 750 G3 -PSU
WIN 10 Pro (still need to buy)
Already have a old 27" 1440 x 2560 IPS Crossover-60Hrz

I guess I could have gone 9700K with a regular SSD(Same budget)..but I think I will still have a great gaming rig.

I've seen both sides of it. I have a friend who got a 1080ti that was a mining card that has worked wonderfully with no issues. On the other hand, I had another friend who bought a 1080ti mining card that had an improperly flashed bios and wouldn't run proper clocks, ended up having to file a claim with eBay because Gigabyte wouldn't replace it even though it was still under warranty.

I've seen both sides of it. I have a friend who got a 1080ti that was a mining card that has worked wonderfully with no issues. On the other hand, I had another friend who bought a 1080ti mining card that had an improperly flashed bios and wouldn't run proper clocks, ended up having to file a claim with eBay because Gigabyte wouldn't replace it even though it was still under warranty.

Show me somebody that has flashed a custom bios onto a 1080ti and i'll show you liar.

Reactions: Parja
like this
Not OC
Not Ovolt
Not over 1 year old...

You should be completely fine. Make sure the fans are in good shape as that's typically the only fail point on a mined card.

He could not reflash the GPU ?

We tried reflashing several times with no luck. The memory clocks stayed locked at 450mhz for some reason. Maybe it wasn't a flashing issue, and maybe just hardware. Either way, it wouldn't work and gigabyte said they couldn't find issues and wouldn't replace it. Luckily he was able to return it to the seller.

Not OC
Not Ovolt
Not over 1 year old...

I mined forever so....

I'd take a mining card over a card a "gamer" had

what sounds better, a card that's been set to run much lower voltages and sip power while running at %40 fan

or

card pushed it to its thermal and power limit for 6 hours a day running at %100 Fan

I also monitored my mining card a lot, making sure temps and power were low etc.

Or the short version:

I took my card out of my gaming rig...absolutely dirty and I haven't kept and eye on it at all, just OC to the max and go. I sold 4 titan Xp (SW Editions), 3 were used for mining other was in my gaming rig... one of them died on the guy shortly after, was the one in my gaming rig I OC'ed to the max.

I wouldn't give a dime to a miner.

Cause me selling cards to kids/ low income people for a deep discount is so horrible, they have my # and are even told let me know if you have any problems. Obviously not the titan xps, but I RMA'ed the card for the guy since Nvidia warranty is purchaser only.

card that's been set to run much lower voltages and sip power while running at %40 fan
I think you're making a pretty generous assumption that all miners are as savvy and fastidious as yourself.

I will (and did!) buy a mining card that's taken care of like you take care of yours, but for every knowledgeable miner seeking peak profitability and component life there's 20 opportunistic dolts looking for a get-rich-quick scheme, throwing their stock cards in an uninsulated shed and torturing them for months on end.

Nah ...I got the Card from a "HARD" member here..so far it looks Great.
Had some dust on backside of fans but not bad. Was easily cleaned.

as far as not giv'n money for a miner card well that is your loss..Or maybe you did lose that is why your so Jaded;)

ok I got the card and all seems good....Temps running in the Low 70's when stressing it out.(mid 60's gaming for long periods)

But I was wondering about why the areas in afterburner are Grayed out ? is it due to Bios not being set to unlock those shaders and Core Voltage.

I also checked the GPU bios and it was a good Bios from late 2017

1080 Armor card-Afterburner.PNG

I bought a GTX1080 Duke for 309.00 that I suspect was a mining card but never asked. Worked like a charm with a slight OC.
Very pleased with it for the money.

Robert Jordan
Winnsboro Texas

So am I..I just wanted to know about the above Picture....Is that WAD ?

So am I..I just wanted to know about the above Picture....Is that WAD ?
The voltage controls in Afterburner are locked by default, but it's a software thing. You just need to go into the Afterburner options and unlock voltage control.

Most of the miner overclocks there GPU to mine as much as they can. So a miner hadn't overclocked there GPU it's like a myth. But if you are getting a good deal then you can definitely consider it but check it properly before buying

Most of the miner overclocks there GPU to mine as much as they can. So a miner hadn't overclocked there GPU it's like a myth. But if you are getting a good deal then you can definitely consider it but check it properly before buying
I'm sorry but that's malarkey. Miners tune their cards to mine as much as they can while using as little power as possible. Electricity costs money, so a miner's power usage is overhead. A card that is underclocked and undervolted will mine 90% of what a stock card would, while only using 75% of the juice (numbers pulled from my ass to make an easy example). Miners don't want max performance, they want max efficiency - that translates to the max profit for them.

Chances are if the miner was savvy enough to run their card non-stock, they underclocked it, not overclocked it.

I am going with Van on this one you need to do a little research before making that Statement(From left field-a SWING and a BIG MISS)

By the way got the Card from a HARD Member and It is running Great. Althought the MSI Armor is known to run a bit hot due to the 1070 Fans on it...

my temps are in the upper 60's after gaming for long periods..So, I am good with that..if and when the fans start making noise I will go the G12 and H55 route...

Reactions: Azrak
like this
Back