Thinking about switching back to an iPhone, am I the only one?

I'm the opposite.

I got the original iPhone in 2007. I don't regret it.

I got the iPhone 3G in 2008, I don't regret it.

I got the iPhone 4 in 2010. I kind of regret this.

The way I see it, in 2007 and 2008, there was no real competition to the iPhone.

Sure Android was released in late 2008, but in its initial releases it was nowhere near as usable as the iPhone, and its browser stunk in comparison.

By the time the Phone 4 was out, Android had caught up - and IMHO - surpassed the iPhone. Getting the iPhone 4 was a mistake IMHO, and so would getting a 4s be today.

My plan? I am eligible for an upgrade since November, but I am waiting for my contract to expire, then I am getting a Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy Note or something like these on Verizon.

Blah, I keep switching phones

Anyways here is my personal rankings

Galaxy Nexus > Jailbroken iphone 4s >>> Jailbroken iphone 4 = LG G2x >>>>>>> iphone 4s >>> iphone 4 >> HD7

Galaxy Nexus > Jailbroken iphone 4s >>> Jailbroken iphone 4 = LG G2x >>>>>>> iphone 4s >>> iphone 4 >> HD7

HD2 has to be near the top of that list for just being able to run every current mobile OS outside of iOS...

I'm curious why you rank the 4s so much higher than the 4.

From my limited time with the 4s, its pretty much identical to my 4, just with the addition of that useless Siri app.

Yes, the 4s has EXACTLY the same hardware as the 4.

The software is the same, yes(who cares about Siri), the hardware, no.

Yes, the 4s has EXACTLY the same hardware as the 4.

The software is the same, yes(who cares about Siri), the hardware, no.

As i recall, the CPU on the 4s is a little faster than the 4, but I didn't feel an appreciable difference when testing the 4s.

Zarathustra[H];1038364019 said:

From my limited time with the 4s, its pretty much identical to my 4, just with the addition of that useless Siri app.

For basic stuff like navigating the OS or browsing the web, you wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the 4 and 4s. When you start getting into demanding applications and games when you really start to notice a difference between the two.

check this out. The 4s is not only faster than the 4, but outclasses just about anything else that was benchmarked against it.

For basic stuff like navigating the OS or browsing the web, you wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the 4 and 4s. When you start getting into demanding applications and games when you really start to notice a difference between the two.

check this out. The 4s is not only faster than the 4, but outclasses just about anything else that was benchmarked against it.

Fair enough.

I mostly use my phone for calls, email, web and maps. I do have a few apps, but nothing I would think was particularly heavy.

I've never put a game on my phone.

Re-read that, the poster said HD7, not HD2, I agree the HD2 would need to be ranked higher, but it does have some design flaws (mainly the touch part due to it using early touch tech on the size)

HD2 has to be near the top of that list for just being able to run every current mobile OS outside of iOS...

Also,

this seems to suggest that phones that get the ICS upgrade will get a nice performance boost.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5133/galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-initial-performance

Interesting considering the same CPU is in the Galaxy S2, and it performs MUCH worse. The biggest difference seems to be the OS.

I wonder how an Android update can cause that much of a performance difference.

Zarathustra[H];1038364410 said:
Also,

this seems to suggest that phones that get the ICS upgrade will get a nice performance boost.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5133/galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-initial-performance

Interesting considering the same CPU is in the Galaxy S2, and it performs MUCH worse. The biggest difference seems to be the OS.

enhancements and optimizations to the browser it seems. iOS5 did the same for iOS devices... if you look a pre-ios5 to post-ios5 browser/java benchmarks, the difference is night and day. It was pretty sad in iOS3 & 4

Zarathustra[H];1038364410 said:
Also,

Webkit versions for mobile browsers (if that's what the link is about).
At any rate, the CPU in the iPhone 4S isn't the fastest (of all modern dual core phones, it's actually the slowest at 800MHz per core), however, the GPU is. For me, it was enough of a consideration to spend 100usd more for the 4S over the 4 (though I still think the flat back makes typing harder vs the old 3G/3GS design - just from comparing to an old 3GS someone I know has).

Re-read that, the poster said HD7, not HD2, I agree the HD2 would need to be ranked higher, but it does have some design flaws (mainly the touch part due to it using early touch tech on the size)

re-read what I said I said the HD2 should be near the top of that list for being able to run every OS outside of iOS.

I want something that just works, especially if it is my phone. Mainly I want to get phone calls, email and get online. Music and apps are a huge plus. I bought an Android tablet and played with it for a few weeks, now it's just sitting collecting dust (when I have the time I will sell it) it was just too buggy and I didn't like that it practically forces you to sync all your data with Google. Fragmentation is a major problem, I had to hack Netflix to even install. Tried to hack HBO go on it and it installed but wouldn't run.

I bought an iPhone for my mother and seriously she asks me for help with her computer all the time (I worked with her for 3 hours to make a 2 page phone directory in Excel). For the iPhone the only thing I had to do is help her reset the iTunes account password! I think if my mother can use an iPhone, text like crazy, take pictures, buy and download music, etc, etc without asking for help, Apple has done a fine job from a usability perspective.

I didn't like that it practically forces you to sync all your data with Google.
The first time you set up your phone it asks you if you want to sync you data with Google....all you have to do is select "No". I wouldn't call that "practically forcing".

People that say that Android phones are harder to use lose a lot of credibility with me. I've owned both and let's face it, day to day usage and first time setup is exactly the same in each phone :rolleyes:

I go to Market and it says I need to "sign in" with a Google account. And then without asking it's automatically starting to sync my Gmail and contacts. I call that "practically forcing"

I go to Market and it says I need to "sign in" with a Google account. And then without asking it's automatically starting to sync my Gmail and contacts. I call that "practically forcing"

Oh god NO....don't make me actually have to go under my settings and turn off sync after the two things 99% of the general population want synced are defaulted to on! :rolleyes:

I know people who are selling the jailbroken iPhone 4 with siri installed as iPhone 4S on Craigslist.

It's hilarious cause you basically cannot tell the difference except with the antenna bands separators (or whatever you call those lines).

No I haven't been drinking :D

I've had a Galaxy S for the past year and a half and I like it, and before that I had an iPhone 3G; however I'm seriously thinking about switching to an iPhone 4S. All I seem to see around here are people falling over themselves to get a Galaxy S2 or Nexus, so I think I'm the minority on this.

I have looked at the Galaxy Nexus in-store, and granted it looks impressive. Also ICS seems rather slick, but wow is the phone ever BIG! My wife seems sold on the Nexus and will likely get one next week, but I'm still not there.

Here is what is drawing me back to the dark side:

- Nice high quality hardware (feels solid) that is pocket size
- Higher quality apps.
- Siri - seems like a useful feature, and Android doesn't seem to have anything comparable yet (Voice search doesn't count, unless it's radically better in ICS)
- Better battery life
- More/better accessories, I really miss having a desktop dock (whoever thought to put the usb port on the top of the Galaxy S needs to be dragged out into the street and shot!)
- Airplay - is there an android version of this?

Am I missing something or are these valid reasons?

I recently switched from the EVO 4G to a iPhone 4S and I must say am I happy with my decision. I had a iPhone 3GS with ATT over two years ago before I switched BACK to Sprint because of the data caps and ridiculous prices and charges of ATT's rate plans. However, it comes at a price. Here are some of my points...

Pros:
-Beautiful and solid design using excellent materials.
-Screen Resolution is insane, albeit on a smaller screen size than Evo.
-Benefits of Jailbreaking :cool:
-App Store has a LOT more stuff then when I last used it over 2 years ago on my 3GS
-Apps are a LOT better than anything i've found on Android Market. Quality is superb
-Great Camera for point and shoot
-Apple build quality (as compared to a ipod touch and Macbook Pro i've had over the years)
-Great music player
-Accessories for iPhone 4 are... anything you can think of they probably have. Insane amount of choices.
-Sprint iPhone. Unlimited Data. Enough Said.
-Siri - For those who say they don't care, or wouldn't use it... after using it for 10 days now it is amazing. WAY better than Android's voice recognition. I don't have to enunciate when I talk to get accurate voice to text, and I can literally do almost anything by talking to the phone. Just a hour ago i said very casually in my natural free-flowing voice," Siri, make a appointment for next Wednesday at 9:30am for a haircut," and boom there it was marked in my calendar. I am very impressed with it. I have been trying things to say to Siri since I got the phone. Like, sending a text message is as simple as," Send a text message to dad and say "i am looking forward to seeing you." Then siri reads it back and asks if I want her to send it and I say yes, and she sends the text. It is very very useful and very fun.

Cons:
-No swappable battery (I always carried a spare for my Evo in my wallet)
-Battery life can go pretty quick on the 4S depending on how you use it. I am a heavy user so I have a charger with me everywhere. One at home, at work, and in the car.
-No expandable memory (16gb = $199; 32gb = $299; 64gb = $399:eek:)
-Have to use iTunes to sync... YUCK. Fucking hate iTunes.
-GPS navigation (from what i've found) is nothing compared to Google Navigation unless you pay $50 for the Navigon App or something more expensive
-Smaller screen (3.5") Really? They haven't increased this in 5 years. Virtually every phone's screen is bigger now. People WANT a bigger screen. (4" = perfect)
Not as versatile as Android for doing certain things such as custom ringtones, or whatever... To get a much better experience and more versatile usage out of the phone you have to jailbreak it.

So why did I choose a iPhone? In all honesty, I dropped my Evo in the toilet and was forced to upgrade. I would have rather waited for the Galaxy Nexus or the Galaxy Note to come to Sprint, and I was stuck at the Sprint Store and was stuck between having to pick between the Motorola Photon, Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4G, and the iPhone 4S. I didn't want the smaller screen... that was my primary hitch and the Galaxy S2 had a beautiful 4.5" AMOLED Plus screen as opposed to the iPhone's 3.5" IPS Retina 640x960 display. For me, it was like going from a 55" flat screen in my living room to a 30". Not okay. So, after thinking about it and playing with the phone a LOT at the store and going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth I settled with the iPhone. I honestly have gotten used to using the iPhone now and that much larger screen is not as big of a deal to me once I gave it up. iPhone is very impressive all around. Great build quality, very thin, feels like it's a high-quality item, very impressive resolution.

However, if the iPhone had a at least 4" screen (I think a 4" screen would be the perfect size for the phone. just remove the thick bezel at the top and bottom) then it would be the one i would have not hesitated to pick going into the Sprint store.

i would say go with the iPhone just to try it out if you are already thinking about it. I went into the store undecided initially. Hey, even if you don't like it they gave me a 14 day trial period to try it out so if I don't like it I can bring it back. I'm not a subservient brand follower, but I can suggest the iPhone based on what i've experienced so far coming from Android and loving Android and my Evo. Good luck in your decision, however if you do get a iPhone 4S. Jailbreak it! you can do soooo much more with the phone by doing it.

Last edited:
Oh god NO....don't make me actually have to go under my settings and turn off sync after the two things 99% of the general population want synced are defaulted to on! :rolleyes:

When you turn it off the data that was synced is still there. And it's not like I input my google account in the setup wizard, this is when you go to the market and it asks you to "sign in"

Since my date is 2/22, I'm worried about these rumors:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/art...ary_10/?utm_medium=rss&utm_source=sectionfeed

I wish there was an end to this type of madness. I'd pay $50 extra to have a guarantee against buying tech which will be obsoleted within months of my purchase. I fully realize that new tech comes out everyday, but within the same product line? I'd say for a product line (like iPhone), I need at least 6 months of protection.

Since my date is 2/22, I'm worried about these rumors:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/art...ary_10/?utm_medium=rss&utm_source=sectionfeed

I wish there was an end to this type of madness. I'd pay $50 extra to have a guarantee against buying tech which will be obsoleted within months of my purchase. I fully realize that new tech comes out everyday, but within the same product line? I'd say for a product line (like iPhone), I need at least 6 months of protection.

No one says you HAVE to upgrade the second you are eligible.

If you are concerned the next iPhone is going to come out and make you regret any purchase you make now, then wait...

I was eligible for an upgrade back in November. Still haven't done it. I'm waiting for my contract to expire so I can ditch AT&T once and for all, and in the meantime my iPhone 4 is perfectly serviceable.

Patience, my young Padawan...

(that being said, I personally wouldn't wait for anything Apple. I am done with them permanently)

Zarathustra[H];1038372143 said:
No one says you HAVE to upgrade the second you are eligible.

If you are concerned the next iPhone is going to come out and make you regret any purchase you make now, then wait...

I was eligible for an upgrade back in November. Still haven't done it. I'm waiting for my contract to expire so I can ditch AT&T once and for all, and in the meantime my iPhone 4 is perfectly serviceable.

Patience, my young Padawan...

(that being said, I personally wouldn't wait for anything Apple. I am done with them permanently)

I fully realize I don't have to upgrade on my date....but since my current Android phone is sucky, I'd like to be free of that. But the cycle of new products being right around the corner and with pricing never changing (why should the 4s continue to cost the same thing with a 2-year contract until a new version comes out -- it's price should be dropping as it ages as a product) it sucks to be put in the position of trying to guess what's going to happen and when. It just one more reason to HATE carriers and the way business is done regarding this tech.

I fully realize I don't have to upgrade on my date....but since my current Android phone is sucky, I'd like to be free of that. But the cycle of new products being right around the corner and with pricing never changing (why should the 4s continue to cost the same thing with a 2-year contract until a new version comes out -- it's price should be dropping as it ages as a product) it sucks to be put in the position of trying to guess what's going to happen and when. It just one more reason to HATE carriers and the way business is done regarding this tech.

You can't have it all, all the time. I didn't want to upgrade either but I did and I am happy with my decision. Honestly, it's not such a big deal. It's just a cell phone. If you are considering getting a 4S then get one. It's a good phone, and after using it for a while you might end up keeping it if you want to keep it past the trial period. I understand it's hard to be in that position of having to decide and the potential of newer phones is frustrating but it will always be like that. Even if you upgrade to say a iPhone 5 in June, the next iPhone will be out the following year and you wouldn't be able to upgrade it. So just get the phone when you need it.

My advice is to stop always being concerned with what is coming, but find something you like now if you need to upgrade. You will never be happy if you are always concerned about what is coming. If I could have waited to upgrade I would have, but i dropped my phone in the toilet and luckily I was up for a upgrade anyway so I had to but I am happy with my choice.

When you turn it off the data that was synced is still there. And it's not like I input my google account in the setup wizard, this is when you go to the market and it asks you to "sign in"

Yeah and you can manually add your account and disable anything that syncs before it syncs if you so desire. I do it all the time with multiple GMail accounts on my wife's phone.

So let me get this straight. You're pissed you can't just download apps from the market without tying them to a Google account?

You can't have it all, all the time. I didn't want to upgrade either but I did and I am happy with my decision. Honestly, it's not such a big deal. It's just a cell phone. If you are considering getting a 4S then get one. It's a good phone, and after using it for a while you might end up keeping it if you want to keep it past the trial period. I understand it's hard to be in that position of having to decide and the potential of newer phones is frustrating but it will always be like that. Even if you upgrade to say a iPhone 5 in June, the next iPhone will be out the following year and you wouldn't be able to upgrade it. So just get the phone when you need it.

My advice is to stop always being concerned with what is coming, but find something you like now if you need to upgrade. You will never be happy if you are always concerned about what is coming. If I could have waited to upgrade I would have, but i dropped my phone in the toilet and luckily I was up for a upgrade anyway so I had to but I am happy with my choice.

Yeah....dropping the phone in the can is a great reason to upgrade! :)

Seriously, products do tend to reach the end of their upgrade life. I'm sure the iphone is getting there now. Once you add 4G, some more memory, and a little bigger screen, what's left? People will get bored with phones in general before too much longer.

Last edited:
I've simply never liked Apple's software design language. Their products are wonderful to watch someone else use, but I am merely frustrated at the choices they've made that force me to use their product their way. For whatever reason, Android with all its frustrations and lack of polish doesn't bother me in that way. I *feel* I have more freedom.

That's why I won't ever use iOS in its current iteration. But I am SO GLAD it exists. Competition and all. Not having to support family members who use it is nice too. :)

I've been using a Droid Incredible since release, and been running CyanogenMod since we were trying to get root by launching ADB (or something) at JUST THE RIGHT SECOND during boot. The hardware is definitely showing its age compared to newer devices, but I get by. I'm patient. I'm waiting for the next crop of ICS phones, and hopefully a revision of the Galaxy Nexus.

Zarathustra[H];1038364019 said:

Its probably just ">" greater now that I think of it (after loading all my sbsubstrate mods). Initially everything seemed silky smooth thanks to the faster processor and much faster gpu; however, all of that means nothing when you start paging RAM :mad: I seriously don't understand why apple didn't bump the RAM to 1GB or at least 768MB. Now my UI is full of small hiccups when I activate something new (i.e. notification is jumpy when I first load it after a long time. Same with swiping between homescreens and opening up folders). If the iphone 4s had 1GB of RAM I would probably rank it ">>>" better than iphone 4.

For me the big drawing points of the 4S over the 4 are:
Dual core A9 based ARM
A very fast SXG543MP2
GLONASS (much faster and robust location lock)
Faster 8MP camera
1080p video

I haven't found siri to be more useful than voice search found on android devices. Basically siri just allows you to use voice only to bypass a couple touch screen inputs. This also results in increased error as you're now compounding already error prone voice recognition.

Basically I find very little extra utility of (siri "Find nearby fast food") vs (loading maps then voice search "fast food"). Also the second example faster to execute and less error prone.

Now I see siri becoming a bit more useful for scheduling calender events since setting up a calender event usually involves a lot more precise touchscreen inputs.

Last edited:
I've been using a Droid Incredible since release, and been running CyanogenMod since we were trying to get root by launching ADB (or something) at JUST THE RIGHT SECOND during boot. The hardware is definitely showing its age compared to newer devices, but I get by. I'm patient. I'm waiting for the next crop of ICS phones, and hopefully a revision of the Galaxy Nexus.

It's time I rooted my DINC. Got a suggestion on where to start reading? TIA.

It's time I rooted my DINC. Got a suggestion on where to start reading? TIA.

You'll want to head over to XDA and just read everything in the DINC subforum. That is without a doubt the best place to start.

I made the switch from Android to Apple several months ago. I do not regret it in the least.

We do exist!

The major reason for my switch was simply due to battery life. This, to me, is one of Androids major disappointments.

I know people who are selling the jailbroken iPhone 4 with siri installed as iPhone 4S on Craigslist.

It's hilarious cause you basically cannot tell the difference except with the antenna bands separators (or whatever you call those lines).

the back model number also shows a difference

Easy to spot.

If there is no black antenna band above silent switch
- Not 4S
Else if there is no sim card slot
- Not 4S
Else
- Is 4S

Easy to spot.

If there is no black antenna band above silent switch
- Not 4S
Else if there is no sim card slot
- Not 4S
Else
- Is 4S

The AT&T 4 had a sim slot, and I do believe they eventually phased in the new antenna design.

I've heard many people talk about the better battery life on iPhone and that has not been my experience. I bought my brother a ~6mo old used 3GS and the thing barely lasts a day with slight usage. Since he is outside the US, Apple refused to service it under warranty, and since battery is not replaceable we have to pay a lot for it.

On the other hand my Evo 4g had terrible battery life as stock, both with MIUI I can easily go 2 days with light use. And I have a $6 extended battery from ebay which takes 10s to swap.

Honestly bud. I would just stick to what I have. Your first impression was that you think everyone is switching, well have you seen that commercial with the samsung phone and the people waiting in line for the iphone? hahha hilarious. Keep what you have and save the money, its not something you need. Its more of something you want, and usually when its something you want, then its a pulse purchase. LOL I hope this helps your decision making. :)

- Nice high quality hardware (feels solid) that is pocket size
You don't have to buy a Galaxy Note. Dual core devices come in sizes as small as the G2X.

- Higher quality apps.
This is a variable. Granted there are a lot of developers who launch apps on iOS first, but I've seen many cases of launches on Android first too, mostly due to the Android Market being a faster method to deploy apps to end users than the App Store.

- Siri - seems like a useful feature, and Android doesn't seem to have anything comparable yet (Voice search doesn't count, unless it's radically better in ICS)
Apple's very own Steve Wozniak likes the Voice Actions implemented in the Moto Razr more than Siri, which counts for something.

- Better battery life
Razr Maxx. 4S also has less battery lifespan than the 4 even after they fixed the battery bugs from what I heard from friends who have the device.

- More/better accessories, I really miss having a desktop dock (whoever thought to put the usb port on the top of the Galaxy S needs to be dragged out into the street and shot!)
Shouldn't be a problem with popular Android devices like the SGS2 when it comes to accessories, even though they're not as prevalent as iPhone accessories.

- Airplay - is there an android version of this?
DoubleTwist?

Back