thinking about moving away from AT&T

• Thread starter Deleted member 189430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189430

As the title states, I'm on AT&T and am thinking about making a change. I've narrowed it down to Ting, T-Mobile, and Project Fi. I'm currently paying $80+ for 3 gig data. I just checked and have used .98 gigs this month. Was thinking about a Pixel, but looks like that will be at least a month or so before I would get that.

I am in the middle of making a decision, but I wanted to hear other opinions if y'all have had experience with the ones that I've listed.

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked into cricket? Uses att towers. LTE and 3gbs of data and most likely you can keep your current phone. Only 35$ a month with auto pay

Have you checked their coverage maps in your area or where you spend most of your time?

I'm on T-Mobile and pay $120 a month for 2 lines unlimited everything + tethering. I know they have throttling caps but while close some months I have not hit them.
Been very happy with them, not the best nation wide coverage but for the places that matter to me 99.9% of the time they are great.

Ting and Fi use T-Mobile towers, however you get a LOT less perks on Ting (and no roaming), and Fi gives you added Sprint towers as well.

First off, what are do you live in? Make sure T-Mobile has good service there.

Second - T-Mobile's 2/$100 unlimited plan just can't be beat. They're also giving you $375 (over 24 months) in bill credits if you bring in a Pixel, and $150 if you port your number in. Add in the weekly free stuff they give you via T-Mobile Tuesdays (free pizza, $2 movie tickets, free Vudu/FandangoNow rentals, etc) and it adds a lot of value.

It sounds like the op needs only 1 line. While I love my tmoblie service if he happy with att coverage then cricket would be a better bet imo

True, very true. Heck, you can even get AT&T prepaid for $45/month for 6gb. More than he needs, but it doesn't cap you at 8mb/s like Cricket does.

True, very true. Heck, you can even get AT&T prepaid for $45/month for 6gb. More than he needs, but it doesn't cap you at 8mb/s like Cricket does.
if he is using less then 1gb I don't think 8mb/s cap as long as he can get solid LTE coverage

I might need two lines. My son is on his mothers service and doesn't have unlimited and I'm tired of listening to her bitch about him going over. If so, I will most likely go the T-Mobile route. Even if I don't, I don't think that I will stay with AT&T or CricketAT&T. And I think my data has gone down since I got a new company vehicle and has been taking advantage of the free Sirius service.

I'm also looking for a different phone, moving away from Samsung. I don't like them thinking that I want all their crap installed and install it without my knowledge.

Project-fi will use either t-mobile or sprint depending on the area.I have been using t-mobile since 2011 when i dumped virgin mobile.Been on the original $70 truly unlimited plan which has 5gb of high speed hotspot then edge speeds after.If you are thinking of doing a line with your son give the 2 for 100$ plan a go.What phone are you also thinking of going with if you ditch samsung?

I am in the same boat. I want to move away from sprint. I currently have 4 lines on a legacy unlimited plan. Sprint is OK for work and home. However, when away, when I need it the most( google maps etc), it fails miserably. I am looking into whoever can give me the best coverage.

Google's Project Fi is an excellent solution if you are under wifi 90% of the time.

If you're the type that watches videos and streams music, maybe not. For $25 dollars you get 1gb of data. That's all fees included. Each gb after is $10 which is horrible pricing.

Our phone bills average $25 to $35 a month. Everyone else is doubled nearly. I bought a Nexus 6 in Aug 2015 for $300 which was brand new from the guy who ended up having to buy an iPhone for his job.

The phone paid for itself in the first year.

If you were to buy a Google Pixel XL for $800ish or less used. It would pay for it's self over the course of 24 months with Google Project Fi.

I'm looking at the Pixel, G6, V20, and maybe the moto g5.

Pixel, hands down. The V20 is already demonstrating bootloops (though rarely) and with that track record, I'd steer WAY clear of the G6. The moto isn't even in the same class as the Pixel.

How are you still paying that much, OP?
I have AT&T, dropped off the contract service long ago before they stopped it.

Dropped my monthly cost to under $60/mo. Started out with 1gb data, since I hardly use any, but AT&T recently doubled it to 2gb/mo.
Cost is still only like $56/mo. Granted I do get a discount from work, but it's only like 5%.

Are you still paying the old contractual-subsidized-phone monthly price?

I'm on the 3 gig plan. There is no 2 gig plan, they have a 1 gig or 6 gig. But that is no longer the issue as I will be taking my son off his mom's plan so he can have unlimited data.

I'm on the 3 gig plan. There is no 2 gig plan, they have a 1 gig or 6 gig. But that is no longer the issue as I will be taking my son off his mom's plan so he can have unlimited data.

huh, seems they have changed plans around again.
and I actually get a 17% discount, so yeah.. that helps.

and yeah, it took me about 5 weeks to get my Pixel XL 128gb

Same boat here. I'm still on the old grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan from the iPhone 3G. That TMobile unlimited plan sounds amazing. They even toss in international data, too.

Anyone currently using them have any issues or know any catches to using them?

I want whatever the Pixel 2 ends up being, but don't want to jump on last year's model without some sort of hefty discount. Will just port my Moto X Pure over and stick with it until something I truly want comes along.

It really, really depends on where you live. In NJ/NY, I get better service on T-Mobile than my wife did with Verizon. So much so, she switched over. If you live in Racoonfucker, Nebraska or Whothefuckwouldlivehereanyways, Montana then you might have signal issues. Also, their coverage map is... Optimistic, at best. I would go on the T-Mobile subreddit (www.reddit.com/r/tmobile) and see what they say about your area. I know it should be good in most major metro areas, outside of Chicago.

Yup I live in southern California and get solid LTE everywhere with them. There will always be weakness in coverage but it's very rare for me. I have been with tmoblie for years now and will not switch.

Geez. I swapped to T-mobile yesterday I regret the hell out of my decision. It's showing LTE everywhere in Denver, but actual speeds are unbelievably inconsistent. I'll get 40/15 in one area and almost nothing a mile away. I get all but no coverage in my neighborhood and only around 4MB where I work. With ATT I don't think I got less than 10MB anywhere within 50 miles, the mountains included. 20/10 is/was the standard, which is kinda what I was hoping to keep getting.
I was very much looking forward to "free" international data with T-mobile, but this isn't cutting it. Thank god there are no more contracts. Looks like I'll probably swap to Verizon.

I need your help everyone. I can't decide whether I should choose Verizon or AT&T. I've been hearing pros and cons on both sides, but I can't decide which one to choose. I'm running a small business and I need to make calls and online transactions most of the time. Appreciate your help.

It probably depends on where you live. In a major metro area I've barely noticed any difference. One is faster one minute and the other will be faster the next. In rural areas, both tend to have better coverage than the little guys but often only one or the other will work in truly remote spots. For instance, in parts of MS and AL, there are areas where only Verizon gets service while in western CO there are plenty of spots where only AT&T works.
In terms of pricing, Verizon has the better price unless you're a DirecTV customer or you're still on the old grandfathered unlimited plan AT&T launched for the first iPhone. Even that plan is about to go up $5 and be the more expensive option, though.
Neither has particularly great international rates if that matters to you. That the one area where T-mobile shines.

I am still on AT&T, originally with 1 line. I re-evaluated my plan online. 2 lines with 3GB (AT&T tossed in a 3GB bonus; 6 GB per month) after discount and taxes, about $100. Stayed with AT&T.

After switching to Verizon (I have a single line w/ unlimited everything), I ended up saving something like $7-8 per month after AT&T's recent price hike on the old unlimited plans.
Not a huge savings, but I feel that my speed and coverage haven't changed. Thanks to the old contract structure, my wife and I have been on separate plans for a decade, but the timing works out for consolidating our plans. That could end up being a savings of $25-30 per month, which is a pretty big deal.
Even though I feel AT&T's speed/coverage was fantastic, I also grew really tired of them pushing DirecTV constantly. The last 2 phones we ended up buying from them they tried to piggy-back DirecTV accounts onto our service without asking. They just started talking about "your savings with DirecTV..." and we had to stop and tell them that we had no interest in that nonsense.

Back