Thinking about making my own Ultra X-Connect

WillowHawk

Gawd
Well, i saw the Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU at frozen cpu, and i instantly fell inlove with its design, ive always hated a tangle of wires in my case, and even after i clean em up, its still agravating sometimes. i got this 500 W psu (dont ask me what it was, peeled the sticker off to paint/mod it and lost it) and i painted it, and i mutilated it.....chopped off 1 of its 3 foot lines, soldered another molex connector to it (too stingy to buy a kit), and sleeved the whole thing, not to mention putting 4 blue leds in each of the 3 fans in there and fan grills and that speaker mesh that i canabalized.....i'm rambling...ANYWAY, i wanted to know if any of you guys out there have any tips on making my own modular connection thingamajig. i hate having extra stuff around as they clutter things up a bit. if i can manage to get a goo enough cam, i'll take some pics.
think i can pull it off?

well those molded cables would be damn hard to recreate
but there are plenty of ready made power connectors available from Molex
while Im sure you can mod something quite close, \Id be more than a little concerned about investing that kind of time and money into an unknown PSU that could easily fry stuff

a few points to consider
Adding interfaces adds resistance
Interference can be a factor
there is no substitute for high quality components

and actual testing before you turn it loose on a thousand or two dollars worth of extremely sensitive components

examples of testing done the right way
SPCR
pcperspective
xbitlabs
systemcooling.com
amdmb

of course if caution always prevailed, there wouldnt be much modding done :p
I just think youd be better off, with known good components to start with
When those first came out I breifly considered gutting one and installing a PCP&C Turbo Cool
but the cable lengths where all wrong for a rackmount

If your actually goint to build such an animal, it would provide you the opportunity to improve the sheilding of the PSU case and cables, but those molded ends would be quite a trick to pull off

thanks for the advice dude!, well, i already decided that i was too lazy to do all that work, but i had planned to just slice and dice the wires coming from the psu circuit board and use a bunch of female molex connectors, some plexi, expoxy, and a dremmel. i figure it coulndt be too hard to do on a, say, 300W. i would leave the mobo and the p4 cables alone (sleeved ofcourse), but have custom made molex lines. meh, i was just curious, thought i could save me all that money...but DAMN that Ultra looks sweet :D

Back