Thinking about grabbing a Dell U2412

DemonDiablo

[H]ard|Gawd
Was actually thinking about grabbing a second HP zr24w when I ran across the u2412 and started looking at that. So that really begs me to ask two questions.

Whats the cliff nots on the +- on the u2412 and is it a better choice over getting a matching zr24w? I know theres a "useful" 80 page thread on the u2412 but thats a lot of reading for someone who gots the itch here and now.

Thanks for any help you guys send my way in advance.

zr24 is better for games.

zr24w is the best 24" IPS monitor for games. Little ghosting and low input lag.

lol yes the 80pg thread that I'm sure has an answer buried deep deep deep somewhere inside of it. I'm liking the gaming response and I'll take a look at youtube when I get home. Thanks for the responses.

lol yes the 80pg thread that I'm sure has an answer buried deep deep deep somewhere inside of it. I'm liking the gaming response and I'll take a look at youtube when I get home. Thanks for the responses.

The U2412M is good for gaming.

Low input lag in the 8-10 ms range and good pixel response. For PC gaming you can't go wrong with it.

Its good to hear that its good for gaming as well. Through my "brief" reading of the u2412 over the past few hours I keep on reading comments in regard to bleeding. Is it really that bad or are people over reacting? Am I looking at a negligible difference between the dell and the hp as far as usual ips glare?

Its good to hear that its good for gaming as well. Through my "brief" reading of the u2412 over the past few hours I keep on reading comments in regard to bleeding. Is it really that bad or are people over reacting? Am I looking at a negligible difference between the dell and the hp as far as usual ips glare?

Check my photo on this post, where I took a realistic picture of my unit:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037563158&postcount=207

Bleeding is not an issue on these screen, definitely not any more than any other 24: IPS-based screen. In fact, it's probably on the low side.

Thanks for the replies, I was actually following some of your posts in other threads (your posts tend to stick out lol), you seem to be a fan of the dell. Any buyers remorse or has there been no looking back since purchase? I'm going to go ahead and assume this puppy has no issues with watching movies on, no more so than anyother ips monitor anyways.

The main thing is that opinions are pretty much relative and people have their own preferences. The balance of the 80-page thread was pretty positive, and swayed me into getting a U2412M to see how I liked it compared with the Dell 2408WFP I've been using the past several years (and before that a Sony 19" CPD-G400). I ended up getting a second U2412M and replacing the 2408WFP.

I haven't seen nor tried the HP ZR24W. But there are numerous discussions of one versus the other on Google, and only opinions either way rather than a firm consensus - other than that people are generally happy with whichever one of the two that they bought. Some negative comments strongly recommend pursuing something like a U2410. But then when you investigate the U2410 (or try one out as I have) some people haven't liked the heavy anti-glare coating effect. For others, it hasn't been a problem. And in my case with a refurbished U2410, it apparently hadn't been refurbished quite well enough as it had a huge ugly red blotch in the center of a black screen. On the other hand, with the highly customizable nature of its endless color settings it might have been possible to eradicate it. But then, I was happier with the U2412M right out of the box.

TFT Central has reviewed both monitors and finds their own pros and cons for both:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

My opinion only - having come from previously a Dell 2408WFP and before that a Sony CPD-G400 (and I also have a couple Asus VW246H TN 24" monitors on two other computers - nice blacks, but the color and clarity I don't think matches either of the Dells): I'm happy with the U2412M. And I already like it better than the 2408WFP which cost me twice as much several years ago and used to be one of the better recommended of the S-PVA monitors ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/2518/1 ). But like all S-PVA monitors, input lag was its weakness ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/2518/12 ). That, and price compared to TN monitors.

What I like about it:

* Nice blacks
* Anti-glare is as unobtrusive as it was on the 2408WFP
* Crisp text and great clarity, and when I put on "Landscapes Volume 2" ( http://vimeo.com/29950141?utm_sourc...:+hakandahlstrom+(Håkan+Dahlström+Lifestream) ) I was very impressed.

But again, some people love the U2410 for their uses or preference, or the HP ZR24W, or even various TN panels.

Last edited:

I find worse bleed on both of my Asus VW246H TN panels. On those, it comes from the bottom in a wave that extends almost to the middle of the screen. The U2412M has slight corner glow but I haven't found it as noticeable unless I lean close to the monitor or view from an angle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I was actually following some of your posts in other threads (your posts tend to stick out lol), you seem to be a fan of the dell. Any buyers remorse or has there been no looking back since purchase? I'm going to go ahead and assume this puppy has no issues with watching movies on, no more so than anyother ips monitor anyways.

I've never had buyer's remorse on this purchase and I paid $399.99 for it, which is a King's Ransom compared to the deep discounts others have paid.

I've watched movies on it, played games on it, and used it for work and web tasks without issue.

Opinions are what I'm looking for so yea. I always take opinions with a grain of salt, people are biased by nature, most more so than other. So that angles always got to be taken into consideration.

Unfortunately over here in CT the idea of viewing high-end tech parts is a blasphemous idea! So I'm stuck with buying and crossing my fingers and wishing for the best. I'm cool with glare or no glare. My LG sitting next to my HP has glare out of the yazoo so no biggie. I'm sure if I get this dell, should I chose to accept, that'll end up getting replaced by another dell or hp down the road anyways.

Thanks for the input and links on everything else. I'll definitely take a look at some youtube research when I get home.

10e said:

lol well gee I wonder what I should buy after that endoresment. I think HP should be giving you a commission or something :p

Thanks for all the input both, I feel like I can make an educated decision by the end of the week with these helpful pointers.

Opinions are what I'm looking for so yea. I always take opinions with a grain of salt, people are biased by nature, most more so than other. So that angles always got to be taken into consideration.

Unfortunately over here in CT the idea of viewing high-end tech parts is a blasphemous idea! So I'm stuck with buying and crossing my fingers and wishing for the best. I'm cool with glare or no glare. My LG sitting next to my HP has glare out of the yazoo so no biggie. I'm sure if I get this dell, should I chose to accept, that'll end up getting replaced by another dell or hp down the road anyways.

Thanks for the input and links on everything else. I'll definitely take a look at some youtube research when I get home.

It's actually an anti-glare coating (not sure if that's what you also meant about your LG, but I wanted to make sure I clarified). Apparently many of the IPS monitors have a fairly aggressive anti-glare film that has created its own controversy. The U2410 is one such. There have been tutorials on dismantling such monitors in an attempt to physically remove the film, but apparently results have been problematic with such an approach.

Having briefly had a U2410, I wasn't keen on its anti-glare as compared with my 2408WFP. The screen seemed sparkly and looking at text wasn't ideal. With that said, the monitor has many very enthusiastic proponents, and it isn't a problem for them. Everyone has their own things they look for in monitors.

The U2412M first caught my attention when I read that its anti-glare was less aggressive. When I turned on both of the U2412M monitors and compared them to my 2408WFP, I didn't have a problem with anti-glare or text readability. And to be honest, text and clarity seem improved over the 2408WFP.

lol well gee I wonder what I should buy after that endoresment. I think HP should be giving you a commission or something :p

Thanks for all the input both, I feel like I can make an educated decision by the end of the week with these helpful pointers.

You mean Dell should be giving me commission :D

But, this being a business monitor, their revenue coming from corporate clients far outweighs us enthusiasts, so they don't need us loving this product in particular.

Bang-for-buck this monitor is very good, and if the Samsung S24A850DW were cheaper by $100.00 and had fewer back-light bleed problems, I'd probably give it equal billing.

As it stands, until the ZR2440W is "in the wild" in higher numbers for us to get a sample size for quality, this is the 24", 16:10 aspect ratio screen to get for economical IPS gaming.

Enough enough its done. Dell will be sending you both a check in the mail later this week. Thanks for the help you two. Probably outta start doing some Christmas shopping for others though now huh... hmmm

Back