Thinking about getting the Intel NUC 9 Extreme Kit, but have questions?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking at getting a Intel NUC 9 Extreme Kit but I am a little behind on the tech it uses. It says it uses Intel Optane memory, but I have no idea what that is and what to look for to buy it. I think I want 32gigs. Is this what I need Intel Optane Memory M.2 2280 32GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x 2 (MEMPEK1W032GAXT)? and is it the best option or should I just just go for a couple Sodimms?
What about the Intel Optane SSD? is it better than a NVME SSD? Is this what I need, Intel Optane H10 512 GB Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 Internal?

Just trying to educate myself on the Intel Optane technology.

Also anyone know of a RTX2060 that will fit into this unit?

You need standard memory for the system to function.
Optane memory is for storage acceleration, so it isn't required and will likely not benefit your workloads. I would pick 16-32GB of DDR4 2666 or XMP 3200, and then also go with a 512-1TB NVME ssd. For the RTX 2060 there are a few models but they may be difficult to find including the Gigabyte RTX mini and Asus RTX 2060 mini.

You need standard memory for the system to function.
Optane memory is for storage acceleration, so it isn't required and will likely not benefit your workloads. I would pick 16-32GB of DDR4 2666 or XMP 3200, and then also go with a 512-1TB NVME ssd. For the RTX 2060 there are a few models but they may be difficult to find including the Gigabyte RTX mini and Asus RTX 2060 mini.
Thank you.

The NUC 11 Extreme Beast Canyon is out, why invest in this one that's 2 gens behind?

It's also twice the price. Put's it out of my budget.

MSRP is $1150 for the i7, hardly twice the price of the $899 you're already going to pay for the 9 and you get an 8 core over a 6 core processor.

MSRP is $1150 for the i7, hardly twice the price of the $899 you're already going to pay for the 9 and you get an 8 core over a 6 core processor.
I only seen NUC 11 Extreme Beast Canyon at $1769, you got a link to the i7 I can only find i9s?

[Edit] Was browsing around on the net and found this, Intel NUC11 NUC11PHKi7CAA1 Gaming Computer. I know it's not as fast as the Extreme Beast Canyon but at the same price as the one I found it's otherwise complete and should be faster then my laptop, which I am very happy with it's performance.

Last edited:
I only seen NUC 11 Extreme Beast Canyon at $1769, you got a link to the i7 I can only find i9s?

[Edit] Was browsing around on the net and found this, Intel NUC11 NUC11PHKi7CAA1 Gaming Computer. I know it's not as fast as the Extreme Beast Canyon but at the same price as the one I found it's otherwise complete and should be faster then my laptop, which I am very happy with it's performance.

SimplyNUC has them but force you to buy their year of support, ram and ssd for $1399: https://simplynuc.com/nuc11btmi7-full/ Once they have more stock they'll likely start selling the kits at MSRP like they do for the other models.

Back