Thinking about getting an 120htz Monitor; some questions.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently, I am using a BenQ 24" monitor that I use to play my games at 1920x1200. However, I am considering getting one of those 22" 120 htz monitors for Nvidias 3D gaming. My question is, do you think going down a notch in resolution would be worth it?

Also, would I need to go through all my games and reset the res before I switched monitors so it won't freak out when I start up a game that I used to use the aforementioned res on or will it automatically change res?

IMO, I think 60hz is easier to watch than 120hz.

I have 2 LCD TVs and I compared them side by side--gaming might be different from watching movies.

You could get one of the 24" 1920x1080 120Hz monitors instead. There's two of them at the moment (the Acer and the Alienware) and lots of rumors but no release yet of others from ASUS, LG, and (NEC and/or Viewsonic?). I would let this settle out a bit because most seem to believe it could be done better than what is currently available.

I have 2 LCD TVs and I compared them side by side--gaming might be different from watching movies.

120Hz TV is different from 120Hz desktop monitor.

120Hz TV means that it has an interpolation engine of some sort that runs at 120Hz. So it takes your 24fps or 30fps input and interpolates to smooth out the motion. I quite like it for TV over all, but it doesn't work at all for games because it introduces some major lag. All it is is smoothing though, not a faster input.

120Hz computer monitors have no smoothing engine in them, they just can take and display an actual 120Hz signal. The main reason to do this is, as the original posted mentioned, 3D gaming. You need 2 images at 60Hz (one for each eye) to do it well so you need a 120Hz monitor. Also, some people like them for 2D because it produces a smoother image for some games and is potentially more responsive.

Same name, but different technologies.

depends on the type of games you're playing

in competitive fps 120hz can give you a huge edge over 60hz players
would never use anything with 60hz for that

in games like beat'em'ups with 60fps cap its mostly useless
only decreases the input lag by 8ms

the resolution should reset automatically
but better to adjust it manually because not all games can do that

Toally disagree. 120Hz is MUCH easier on my eyes and v-sync at 120Hz is just awesome on these displays in Surrond, no lag or tearing in anything I've seen. These Alienware OptXs are great other than being TN but its the only panel technology available for desktop 120Hz. As soon as a better panel technology comes out for 120Hz I'll have 3 the next day.

Back