Thinking about getting a Sidewinder X8, but have a few questions...

CompuG##K

Gawd
For those that don't want to read my wall of text below, I'll put the question here.

Is there a way to program the DPI buttons on the x8 to perform keystrokes or to just be generic mouse buttons? I don't really care for on the fly DPI switching and I really want to bind those buttons in games. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it through Intellipoint, so would it be possible with a registry tweak or perhaps a mouse tweaking program?

The long version of the question:

I've been trying to find a keyboard and mouse for my new SFF pc for a few days and I think I'm close to finding what I want. I've set some guidelines on what I want to find in both a keyboard and mouse that would make them easy to carry along with the new pc when I want to take it places.

The biggest guideline is being wireless. Less wire clutter, less wound up wires, easier to transport. The second guideline is that it's going to have to hold up in gaming, which of course means nonexistent input lag. I've heard that recent wireless technology has more or less nullified that problem, is that true?

As far as the keyboard goes, I think I've found something that hopefully should suit my needs. It's one of the few wireless keyboards I've found that weren't packaged with a crappy wireless mouse. According to the reviews, it has no input lag, decent range, a decent battery life, and is all around better than some of the more expensive wireless keyboards. Anybody have any experience with this particular keyboard? Anyone have any other recommendations for a wireless keyboard?

Now, onto my main topic, the Sidewinder x8. After searching for the perfect wireless gaming mouse for quite some time, I've ended up here. I was focused on the Razer Mamba until I read about all of the problems it was having, so I continued my search. So far I don't see any discernible problems that the x8 has, so I'm close to choosing it.

My only question about it is about programmable buttons. I know that out of the box it can support programming of the thumb buttons, mouse wheel click/tilt, and the standard left and right buttons. That's not quite enough for me. I have an MX518 right now and I have both the sensitivity buttons and the document flip button programmed to do keystrokes. Is there a way to program the DPI buttons on the x8 to perform keystrokes or to just be generic mouse buttons?

Back