Thinking about buying Vista

Alpha736

Limp Gawd
Once I have the cash, and I am out of my current financial trench I am considering upgrading from my WinXP Pro and buying Vista. I have a system that can certainly handle Vista, even for gaming, and I'd probably install the 64bit version.

The biggest question I have remaining is which version? Retail or OEM? Ultimate or Home Premium? I like retail because I'll be able to install it as many times as I want, but I heard there was a legal trick to doing this with the OEM.

I'm thinking I want the Ultimate edition, but not completely certain of what benefits I get over Home Premium. As far as Full or Upgrade, I think I want full because installing it will be easier, among other things.

Is there anything else I need to know? What else should I be considering when making this choice?

Thanks in advance!

if you want to be able to install it on newer PCs without being tied down to your MB thne you gotta get retail

The difference between oem vs retail is that microsoft doesn't allow you to transfer your license to new hardware for the oem versions, while the retail version can be moved freely.

Whether or not that can be circumvented is another matter entirely.

Sorry, but that link doesn't answer all my questions. Also, aren't there more differences between Ultimate and Home Premium than what this page shows?

I don't think the Microsoft site is the greatest at describing the differences.. off the top of my head, over Home Premium:
  • Can join a domain
  • Group Policy
  • Remote Desktop host
  • Complete PC Backup and Previous Versions (I think third-party software can replace the latter?)
  • BitLocker
  • Windows Ultimate Extras - DreamScene, language packs, sound themes, a poker game, BitLocker and EFS enhancements
Most aren't that useful in a home environment, and the Ultimate Extras aren't very hot. Remote Desktop can be useful - VNC or such can mostly replace it, although tends to be slower.

Another big difference between Home Premium OEM and Retail is that if you want both 32bit and 64bit you have to buy both versions separately with OEM. With retail you just pay the price of shipping from Microsoft to get 64bit version. Ultimate comes with both versions in the box. Quite often I see people who bought OEM 32bit wanting to change to 64bit and they would have been much better off if they had just spent the few extra bucks for Retail Upgrade version in the first place.

Okay, so I'm going with Ultimate x64, should I get OEM or Retail?

OEM licensing requires you to purchase it with the core components of a computer system. It's designed to be sold bundled with a barebones or higher new PC. Some vendors allow you to do this if you purchase a combination of RAM, motherboard, hard drive, etc. Some other allow you to sneak past it with just purchasing a drive. Others..if you can purchase it outright...that's between you, the vendor, and the Microsoft police.

Back