Thinking about 8700k -> 5900x

Is there anything substantially better around the same price range ($500) coming out soon? I think I can just re-use my current ram also since it's DDR4.

Is there anything substantially better around the same price range ($500) coming out soon? I think I can just re-use my current ram also since it's DDR4.
Nothing concrete. Intel has Alder Lake coming out but nobody knows what kind of performance or pricing were looking at. Then there's rumors that Amd may be refreshing but they are just rumors. So basically if your feeling the need for speed, hit the the gas pedal!
What speed is your current memory? Ideally you want to pair your 5900 up with something in the 3600 range or oc what you have to that speed(or better) to get the best performance.

For gaming? Heck no, I honestly don't even notice a difference between a 5900X and my old 8700K. Definitely wait for next gen from both Intel/AMD unless you really have the upgrade itch just to upgrade for fun.

The 8700K was literally the best CPU released a few months after Ryzen first generation came out; I had both systems to compare (Ryzen 1600 vs 8700K) and the difference in price between both was like $200-250 for CPU/MOBO/MEMORY and the 8700K absolutely smoked my Ryzen 1600 in gaming and it still does today. I can barely tell any difference between the 8700K and 5900X today for gaming performance.

The 8700k has 6 cores and 12 threads which is just about enough for modern games. The issue is mainly with 4 core, 8 threads CPUs or if you crave maximum FPS in MP games. If you are OK with missing out on a bit of frames in MP games then the 8700k should last at least 1-2 more years. Ideal time for upgrade will probably be sometime in 2023 when DDR5 has matured and the new sockets are on their second gen CPUs.

If all your doing is gaming then no need for an upgrade right now. I would wait till the next gen of CPU's are released. If your into content creation then a 5900x would be a great upgrade. I was on a 3700k for 8 years till I upgraded to a 9900K a couple years ago.

For gaming? Heck no, I honestly don't even notice a difference between a 5900X and my old 8700K. Definitely wait for next gen from both Intel/AMD unless you really have the upgrade itch just to upgrade for fun.

The 8700K was literally the best CPU released a few months after Ryzen first generation came out; I had both systems to compare (Ryzen 1600 vs 8700K) and the difference in price between both was like $200-250 for CPU/MOBO/MEMORY and the 8700K absolutely smoked my Ryzen 1600 in gaming and it still does today. I can barely tell any difference between the 8700K and 5900X today for gaming performance.
Really? The 5900x seems to be 1.25x better on single core and atleast 2-3x better on multi-core benchmarks.

Is it purely for gaming ? We often see NVidia 3090 or 6900xt benchmark use for comparing those type of cpu where you can see interesting gap between them, on a 2080ti, depending on your target resolution-frame rate, if those value are accurate:

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare-ga...yzen-9-5900x/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/ultra

Many game are virtually the same average fps wise at 1440p.

Would be good money-trouble for a small bump, depending how much you get back from the 8700K-mobo combo, those historically keep good value. But then again we cannot say money would be better use upgrading your GPU with it now and waiting for DDR5 to upgrade platform, because that not necessarily an option.

If you do anything with good parallelism, the jump would be massive, some work stuff I do are 2x, 2.2x time faster than before from a 2600 to a 3900x (a bit better cooling and bit faster ram has well), depend a lot on your workload.

Last edited:
Really? The 5900x seems to be 1.25x better on single core and atleast 2-3x better on multi-core benchmarks.

For purely gaming at 1440P on a RTX 3080? I don't notice a difference at all. Now if you're talking about non-gaming stuff then yes the 5900X is much faster due to more cores and slightly faster IPC.

The 5900x is a heck of a lot faster by most metrics. The 8700k isn’t a bad cpu but it’s old tech for sure.

I have a 5900x, and wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade if I had a older 8700k setup.

Yes what LukeTbk said is correct.. although I love these videos on YouTube where they show you a side-by-side gameplay along with your desired video-card if you can't find a written review comparing certain combinations. (The 8700K is overclocked and 5900X is stock btw)

I guess you can decide if those numbers are worth the upgrade FOR GAMING but like I said, in real-world playing games without staring at the FPS counter I don't notice the difference.

Is the 10700k out of reach? In my opinion right now I would reach for the 8core vs the 6core if the price difference isn't a deal breaker. Not familiar with the AMD chips but no 8 core alternative?

Is the 10700k out of reach? In my opinion right now I would reach for the 8core vs the 6core if the price difference isn't a deal breaker. Not familiar with the AMD chips but no 8 core alternative?

You have 6 and 8 core (5600x-5800x) options

Right now on amazon the 5600x at $289, 5800 x is at $393, 5900x at $550

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-56...child=1&keywords=5900xt&qid=1629136687&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-58...dchild=1&keywords=5800x&qid=1629136681&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-59...child=1&keywords=5900xt&qid=1629136687&sr=8-1

At first the 5800x had the least interesting price point but now they seem to cost virtually the same by core, making it a more straight forward decision process.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I went from an 8700K to a 5800X. It made zero difference with anything I've tried it with, especially since I'm gaming at 4K. That basically puts almost all the weight on your GPU instead. My wife was in need of an upgrade (aka. the 8700K), so it was mainly for her. If you aren't in a similar situation, I wouldn't advise it. Even with the 5900X having a little more juice than mine, it's not going to be noticeable unless you're gaming at lower resolutions.

I would wait for the Zen 3 refresh with the extra cache. Its supposed to be out December/January. That should be a fair bit faster in gaming, than regular Zen 3. Which would make it fairly substantially faster than an 8700k.

Current CPUs are faster for gaming. But I wouldn't say substantially faster, except for a few edge cases. (certain games do love extra cores. And in general, 8+ cores will help you keep higher minimums, especially at high refresh rates).

Also, with a 2080ti at 1440p, the differences are going to be pretty small, anyway. and almost no difference at 4K.

Probably not a huge upgrade for gaming, and even with small gains not worth new mobo and the hassle of a rebuild.

I did it, my old PC was a 8700K and at first I was going to do few upgrades until it eventually became a whole new computer. I wanted the 5900X but Amazon sent me the 5950X and I'm not one to say no to that.

Also got a 6800 XT and got rid of the old parts (and sold what I could). My main reason was to support AMD and also get better Linux support, which did work out eventually. However pure gaming performance is about the same.

Not that my performance was bad before, but after spending all that money it does make you wonder when you get the same FPS, was it worth it? I don't know. I am happy to have built a new computer for the hobby aspect, and get into Linux, and support AMD.

But the 8700K rig worked, and it would have been fine for at least another 2 years no problem. I'm not upset, I made the call and overall I do like the new computer better. My last machine had been upgraded so many times, the original shell was from 2014, so I held onto it for long enough.

Also, if you do work on the computer, then that changes things. The new Ryzens will destroy the older Intels in like compiling code, certain types of rendering and encoding, etc. It could pay for itself if you do any of this. That was a big selling point for me.

I would wait for the Zen 3 refresh with the extra cache. Its supposed to be out December/January. That should be a fair bit faster in gaming, than regular Zen 3. Which would make it fairly substantially faster than an 8700k.

Current CPUs are faster for gaming. But I wouldn't say substantially faster, except for a few edge cases. (certain games do love extra cores. And in general, 8+ cores will help you keep higher minimums, especially at high refresh rates).

Also, with a 2080ti at 1440p, the differences are going to be pretty small, anyway. and almost no difference at 4K.
Thanks I will wait for this!

Back