Thinking about 2x30's or 3 24's

joshman211

n00b
As the title suggests im interested in who has the 30's and what they think of running two of them. Right now I have 2 Acer X233H's and honestly im not too impressed with them. I came into some money recently and would like to get a couple of new dells. A few years ago I had a Dell Ultrasharp 24 and it was probably the best monitor I ever had even 4/5 years later it looks fantastic but its relegated to my sons setup. My other option would be the 24" ultrasharps and get 3 of them. Which would still be cheaper then 2 30's. If you guys had the option what setup would you go with?

Are you looking into eyefinity gaming or are your a day trader? There was a deal on dell where you can pick up a samsung 24" for $165 shipped. I would definitely go that route since there isn't much space on my desk to fit anything else...

Are you looking into eyefinity gaming or are your a day trader? There was a deal on dell where you can pick up a samsung 24" for $165 shipped. I would definitely go that route since there isn't much space on my desk to fit anything else...

Neither although I do have a 5870 but im not sure if 5870 can push an eyefinity on 2 30's at the resoution it will be at. But im not sure. I just like alot of desktop space. I do some occasional programming. Im tempted on the 30's because i probably wont be able to spend the money again for quite a while so im thinking of getting the best possible setup i can get right now and i love the arm on the 3008. Do the 24's have the same arm's?

Eyefinity setup with 2 monitors is not recommended. Having the bezels in the middle of the screen is too annoying for most. IMO, 3x24's is the way to go.

Eyefinity setup with 2 monitors is not recommended. Having the bezels in the middle of the screen is too annoying for most. IMO, 3x24's is the way to go.

i have three of the zr24w monitors from HP in eyefinity and i love it.

the only thing i dont like about them is the lack of inputs but displayport is going to be the future hookup as far as i have seen and it has that =)

i really like them.

If money is not an issue i would go with 30" setup. 30" might seem a bit overkill let alone two but i guess it's similar to 27", you'll get used to it in no time & it will be hard to ever look back... :)

Pardon me for asking but do you game at all? A 5870 seems a rather strange waste of money then tbh if not..

Here's a review on the performance of the 5870 running three 30-in monitors, each running at 2560x1600 resolution: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=793

Last edited:
a 30" @2560x1600 + 2 20' monitors in portrait is the way to go.

Just make sure you get 20" monitors with a 1600x1200 resolution

a 30" @2560x1600 + 2 20' monitors in portrait is the way to go.

Yeah, but Eyefinity only supports setup using monitors with the exact same resolution.

I know i mentioned Dell's but how do the samsung 30's stack up against these things? Are dells the best 30's out there right now?

Yeah, but Eyefinity only supports setup using monitors with the exact same resolution.

Given that he seems more interested in desktop space (i.e. general use, occasional programming, etc etc), I don't think eyefinity is your best option. I was using 2 x 3008WFPs for a while and they are excellent. I decided not to go 3 x 24" primarily due to the limited height and excessive width (in landscape) of this set-up. Seemed too wide for me. The 2 x 30" set-up is certainly impressive and I often divide each 30" up again into two sections vertically (easy with Windows 7) to give me even more space. Based upon what you are using it for, I would lean toward 2 x 30". However, I am going to move toward the 20" x 30" x 20" set-up at some point. If you are not planning on eyefinity (although they may support different resolutions at some point down the road), then it may be worth checking out that set-up. Certainly much cheaper than the 2 x 30" and maybe more practical.

Actually it can be done, it just requires a bit of tinkering. Someone posted a link in another thread. As soon as this gets natively supported, I may just have to sell my 24's and get a 20 x 30 x 20 setup myself. IMO it is the perfect setup. Are you listening ATI???????????

I know i mentioned Dell's but how do the samsung 30's stack up against these things? Are dells the best 30's out there right now?

If you dig arround, you will find complaints about Samsungs poor warranty coverage on their 30 inch displays. That and they are PVA, which means they have more lag.

It is a drag, because PVA panels do not have issues with AG coating.

Dave

If you dig arround, you will find complaints about Samsungs poor warranty coverage on their 30 inch displays. That and they are PVA, which means they have more lag.

It is a drag, because PVA panels do not have issues with AG coating.

Dave

Ty for the info dave. Im like the Dell warranty so im gonna go that route. Not sure if i will have any luck getting them under 1500 a pop but oh well tis life. You want the best your gonna pay for it. But id imagine these things will last me a while. So 2 Dell 30's it is.

Ty for the info dave. Im like the Dell warranty so im gonna go that route. Not sure if i will have any luck getting them under 1500 a pop but oh well tis life. You want the best your gonna pay for it. But id imagine these things will last me a while. So 2 Dell 30's it is.

You might want to check out this thread. They are via ebay and classified as refurb, but a) I have received a couple of new monitors rather than refurbs, and b) they come with warranties (lengths vary).

Back