Thinkin about giving up gaming for awhile...

markt435

Supreme [H]ardness
Prolly gonna sell the rig in my sig eventually, but I figured I'd ask around for some opinions. I've found some decent old ultraportables for the same price of the EeePC on ebay. Problem is of course, no warranty of any kind with them, and they're used as well. With an Eee PC i'd be able to just throw it in my backpack and pretty much forget about it. I'm just doubting battery life on those old notebooks I guess as well.

So should I go with an EeePC or step up to something I can do more stuff with, even though all I need is something to type up papers, do web surfing, and thats about it? lol

It all depends on what you want. About a year ago I watched ebay and picked up a used thinkpad x20 for ~$120, added a battery for ~$50. I want to say it is around 600Mhz with 384Mb of RAM but works great for basic stuff and can still get 2-3 hours of battery life. It also is nice to be able to not worry about damaging the laptop since it was so cheap.

The EeePc's look nice (I guess..) but it may be worth checking out just how fast you need and looking at the price for an old X series thinkpad or some other small laptop. For the price difference you could get 2 instead of 1 of the other :)

i've found a couple P-4m systems with some decent specs. they also happen to be 12.1" ultraportables. one of them even costs less than an EeePC.

P4-m + ultraportable 12.1"? Does not compute!

I mean, I'm sure they made them...but god....nothing P4-m makes me feel comfortable with 12.1"

P3 or P-m, yes. Turion, sure. but a P4, even if an -M...that's interesting.

P4-m + ultraportable 12.1"? Does not compute!

I mean, I'm sure they made them...but god....nothing P4-m makes me feel comfortable with 12.1"

P3 or P-m, yes. Turion, sure. but a P4, even if an -M...that's interesting.

well the product description on an HP nc4010 was a P-M, but the actual pics he had of the machine had a P4-M sticker on it. so i got confused. even the review i looked up said a P-M so i don't know why it had the older sticker. an old previous laptop i had was a 1.5 P4-M, but it was an inspiron 8200. i used to play RTCW on it. managed to get a geforce 4 440 go which ran pretty decent after i overclocked it :)

so are these HP nc4010s good machines? i read that the battery life sucked compared to other similar ultraportables but performance was better.

see for yourself:
hpcompaqnc4010003lt9.jpg

Interesting.

I'm getting an NC4000 from icthus13 in trade for some parts, it's a 1.4ghz Pentium M.
The NC4010 should be the upgrade to the NC4000. It looks like it's Dothan to my Banias, which would mean you'd have the wrong sticker on that system (or, someone {mistakenly} wished they had a P4-m not realizing that what they had was better)

If you can, run CPU-Z, I'll bet it's a P-m.

Back