think my receiver is dead, repair or replace?

Dome

2[H]4U
so i've got a denon avr-1909 it's about 4-5 years old. i think my recent construction might have gotten a bunch of dust into the machine or something, but it won't play anything through hdmi. i've got my 360, ps3 and cable box all fed through and nothing shows.

360 and ps3 play just fine when hooked directly to TV, cable box isn't working, but that's been kind of weird lately too.

the thing is they were all working without issue (well cable box was in and out) before i left for 5 weeks. i returned last night and this happened. i've repaired the denon before once there was an issue with some plug on the motherboard. do you guys think it's worth bringing to the repair shop again or should i start shopping new receivers?

If you filled it with dust, you probably smoked more than one component and overheated many others that now have less expected life. Might as well bite the bullet and go shopping!

I just picked up a AVR1911 for $140 brand new (2011 model). And there are cheaper options.

I would open it up and see if its anything obvious... then I would probably just buy a new one.

thanks. any simple tests you can think of that i might perform first? the thing is i use it to bridge my consoles to my tv/5.1 so if it's not doing any then i can't think of any way to test it.

btw i'm completely stupid when it comes to this sort of stuff.

yeah, open it up and see if you see anything obviously wrong like dust that you could remove. Otherwise get a new one, too much wattage and heat goes through receivers you don't want to start a fire

I'll pop it open tonight after work and see what i can see. assuming i need to replace it, how do i shop for one? this one came with my speakers.

all i need is something to communicated between my cable box/games consoles to my tv and 5.1 surround system. i don't need the dual zone features or anything else besides the ability to plug in all my devices. any recommendations?

Back