Think its time to RMA :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
VanFanel89 said:
Any agent with half a brain would deny his RMA.
Like I said, "What's it going to hurt".

Worse case scenario: He's out shipping costs and processor still doesn't work correctly.
Best case scenario: He's getting a new processor and typing up the "Kiss My Ass" response to all of you who doubted him.

Either way, I would try it. I've done worse things and gotten a replacement out of the deal...

For example: Purchased a Geforce 3 TI500 a couple years back which had a damaged BGA (VGA core) from previous user trying to remove the heatsink. I then purchased a "lot" of bad cards off EBAY which happened to be Geforce 3 TI 500's. Since I used to be in rework and repair for 7-8 years, I used our machinery to create a thermal profile for removal of the damaged BGA. Removed "good" BGA from one of the bad cards and reballed and refowed new solder balls underneath. Replaced good BGA onto original card and replaced GPU fan with a $5.00 special from local computer store. After this I filled out an RMA form with Visiontek (who has lifetime warranties) and fudged in where I actually bought the card. 2 weeks later I had a brand new card unopened in a retail box.

What's funny is whe I replaced the BGA, a couple of the contacts shorted. (This was verified through an X-Ray machine we have) Since I only cared about the physical characteristics of the card rather than the functionality of it, I sent back anyways. Being involved with our intrnal RMA group, I know once something like that is sent back it is more cost effective to simply replace it rather than have a staff of technicians trying to figure out if it was operator error or not. Basically what happened is Visiontek got my card, tested it, found it didn't work and trashed it. It's all about the cost of the issue at hand, and if you are in the industry, you should know how much upper management watches their costs...

Just an FYI and thought I would share my story... and like I said before, what's it going to hurt to try....

Smoove910 said:

Worse case scenario: He's out shipping costs and processor still doesn't work correctly.
Best case scenario: He's getting a new processor and typing up the "Kiss My Ass" response to all of you who doubted him.

Either way, I would try it. I've done worse things and gotten a replacement out of the deal...

For example: Purchased a Geforce 3 TI500 a couple years back which had a damaged BGA (VGA core) from previous user trying to remove the heatsink. I then purchased a "lot" of bad cards off EBAY which happened to be Geforce 3 TI 500's. Since I used to be in rework and repair for 7-8 years, I used our machinery to create a thermal profile for removal of the damaged BGA. Removed "good" BGA from one of the bad cards and reballed and refowed new solder balls underneath. Replaced good BGA onto original card and replaced GPU fan with a $5.00 special from local computer store. After this I filled out an RMA form with Visiontek (who has lifetime warranties) and fudged in where I actually bought the card. 2 weeks later I had a brand new card unopened in a retail box.

What's funny is whe I replaced the BGA, a couple of the contacts shorted. (This was verified through an X-Ray machine we have) Since I only cared about the physical characteristics of the card rather than the functionality of it, I sent back anyways. Being involved with our intrnal RMA group, I know once something like that is sent back it is more cost effective to simply replace it rather than have a staff of technicians trying to figure out if it was operator error or not. Basically what happened is Visiontek got my card, tested it, found it didn't work and trashed it. It's all about the cost of the issue at hand, and if you are in the industry, you should know how much upper management watches their costs...

Just an FYI and thought I would share my story... and like I said before, what's it going to hurt to try....

I know how RMAs work, I handle RMAs on a daily basis. Sure, it may be cost effective for BFG to replace a Video card, but in this specific case, it's a lesson that teaches people that if they void their warranties knowingly, they are not gonna get any mercy for anyone for their mistakes.

Not to be rude or anything but how are they gonna prove I was overclocking it? overclocking did not cause the problem. It isn't damaged in any way, not even by voltage. How are they going to tell it was overclocked if the overclocking didnt damage it? Kinda like saying the insurance company can deny a claim about a crack in my windshield because I was going too fast when it happened. If I had crashed they could tell, but not when there are no problems related to the going too fast. You guys on the otherhand are saying ! no! dont make a claim! you drove to fast! its your fault there is a crack! if you werent going so fast the rock wouldn't of been kicked up by the truck infront of you! Meanwhile im thinking.... derr.... I have no control over memory controller failure, therefore I shouldnt have to pay for it. I didnt cause it. Which is what insurance and RMAs are both for.

Jakalwarrior said:
Meanwhile im thinking.... derr.... I have no control over memory controller failure, therefore I shouldnt have to pay for it. I didnt cause it. Which is what insurance and RMAs are both for.

You OVERCLOCKED it, therefore, you MAY have caused the mem controller to fail....and you are making the cost higher to US the end users because I guarantee you those losses get passed back to US. In the form of higher chip prices.

If it had been left at stock speeds, voltages, mem speeds, etc., most likely it would not have failed. Chances are your overclocking is what damaged it. Live with it. Now, you can kiss my ass. Loser.

TheRapture said:
Now, you can kiss my ass. Loser.
I find the responses on here comical, almost on the verge of personal... especially the guy above me. You can guarantee if the roles were reversed and he was in the same situation, he would be thinking RMA as well.

Smoove910 said:

So what you're saying is that you ripped off Visontek.

Smoove910 said:
I find the responses on here comical, almost on the verge of personal... especially the guy above me. You can guarantee if the roles were reversed and he was in the same situation, he would be thinking RMA as well.

Nope. I put that broken biatch to whatever speed it will run at reliably and give it to a relative or friend that just needs something for email and browsing. Or toss it into the closet...

I have not RMA'ed a single cpu, video card, or stick of ram that I broke, period. Never have, never will. That idiot is making prices higher for all of us, and anybody that cheats the system due to their own actions is a loser. If you don't like my opinion, fine, it's your right. Opinions are like assholes.... :D

So you guys think all RMA's are due to legit component failure?

Here's some examples of what we have RMA's for Motorola, one of our major customers...

1.) Desktop unit with spilled soda pop in it, resulting in a defective unit... RMA or not... Yes, we RMA'd it
2.) Cable box full of cat hair, resulting in overheating.... RMA or not... Yes, we RMA'd it
3.) MY FAVORITE, Unit full of mouseshit... RMA or not... Yes, we RMA'd it. This was all per Motorola's RMA process.

So if the OP get's an RMA, maybe you should be bitching at AMD for replacing, not the OP. Simply put... don't hate the player, hate the game!

Smoove910 said:
So if the OP get's an RMA, maybe you should be bitching at AMD for replacing, not the OP. Simply put... don't hate the player, hate the game!

Juvenile crap. Just another excuse people use to deflect responsibility.

Smoove910 said:
So you guys think all RMA's are due to legit component failure?

Here's some examples of what we have RMA's for Motorola, one of our major customers...

1.) Desktop unit with spilled soda pop in it, resulting in a defective unit... RMA or not... Yes, we RMA'd it
2.) Cable box full of cat hair, resulting in overheating.... RMA or not... Yes, we RMA'd it
3.) MY FAVORITE, Unit full of mouseshit... RMA or not... Yes, we RMA'd it. This was all per Motorola's RMA process.

Mouse...shit? What the fuck. :rolleyes:

Jakalwarrior said:
Not to be rude or anything but how are they gonna prove I was overclocking it? overclocking did not cause the problem. It isn't damaged in any way, not even by voltage. How are they going to tell it was overclocked if the overclocking didnt damage it? Kinda like saying the insurance company can deny a claim about a crack in my windshield because I was going too fast when it happened. If I had crashed they could tell, but not when there are no problems related to the going too fast. You guys on the otherhand are saying ! no! dont make a claim! you drove to fast! its your fault there is a crack! if you werent going so fast the rock wouldn't of been kicked up by the truck infront of you! Meanwhile im thinking.... derr.... I have no control over memory controller failure, therefore I shouldnt have to pay for it. I didnt cause it. Which is what insurance and RMAs are both for.

There are ways to find; believe me.

Karma Killer said:
Would you please tell me wich are those ways? I´m literally dying to know :p
First post from Argentina :)
agreed. he's full of shit, and everyone over at genmay knows it anyway so just ignor him. I don't care if he overclocked it, everyone here knows as well as i do that him overclocking it didn't just manage to "break" the memory controller, especially if he didn't change voltages. If he didn't harm the CPU, then go ahead and RMA it, i'm not losing sleep over it. Its the people that spill water on there shit THEN try to RMA it that pisses me off. You should all get off your high horses.

ok...last poster - first off...it may have been defective from day one...but you know what? RIGHT IN THE TERMS OF THE WARRANTY IT STATES THAT OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES ON THE CHIP! doesn't say "oh you can increase the clock but as long as you don't change the voltage you're ok" it says plain as frickin day OVERCLOCKING AT ALL VIA ANY MEANS = NO WARRANTY...PERIOD!

what is so freakin hard to understand about this?

for all we know, the reason this chip wasn't binned as a higher chip is because of this memory controller issue...IE the chip wouldn't run at say 2.6ghz but did fine at 2.0 or whatever, so thats what the sold it at....by him overclocking it it could have stressed and/or weakened it....or brought out the problem as you will...now it won't run at stock....bottom line is since HE ALTERED THE CLOCK SPEED OF SAID CHIP, ACCORDING TO THE TERMS OF THE WARRANTY...HE HAS NONE!

so you can get off your high horse...personally, if i break it, i EAT THE LOSS...if a power supply dies and takes out all your shit...then maybe you have a case...or whatever...but RMAing after you blatantly disregard the terms of such and expect a company to then honor them? you sir, are a complete idiot....

ignitionxvi said:
agreed. he's full of shit, and everyone over at genmay knows it anyway so just ignor him. I don't care if he overclocked it, everyone here knows as well as i do that him overclocking it didn't just manage to "break" the memory controller, especially if he didn't change voltages. If he didn't harm the CPU, then go ahead and RMA it, i'm not losing sleep over it. Its the people that spill water on there shit THEN try to RMA it that pisses me off. You should all get off your high horses.

WOW, WOW, WOW, I wasn´t flaming! I really ment what I said, I wasn´t being sarcastic...

Overclocking beyond the RATED speed voids the warranty. PERIOD. End of story. No warranty. Nada. No RMA. What is so fracking hard to understand about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back