Think it may be time for a new Router...Suggestions?.

notarat

2[H]4U
I play POE and, if you've played POE you know there are times when you get disconnected from the server or lose sync.

After a couple rips I loaded up WinMTR to trace my connection and around 75% of the time the POE servers are dropping 100% of the packets....

But 25% of the time I am dropping them at my router. I see 100% packet loss before it reaches my modem...

I'm using the replacement Black Knight router from Asus they sent me to replace the one that "combusted".

So I am thinking it's time to get a new router.

Suggestions on a new one?

I do not need wireless.

I do not need some high dollar cisco or home made.

What router do you currently have? What issues are you having with it?

What, if any, wireless devices do you have?

Is you computer you play POE on connected via wire or wireless? (Wireless can suck compared to wired for online gaming).

I've already answered every one of your questions in my initial post, but here they are.

Asus Black Knight RT 66N
I'm seeing 100% packet loss at my router for no reason around 25% of the time I experience disconnects in POE
I do not have wireless devices on this network (hence the statement "I do not need wireless) :)
Wired connection (answered by stating I do not need wireless ;) )

I've already answered every one of your questions in my initial post, but here they are.

Asus Black Knight RT 66N
I'm seeing 100% packet loss at my router for no reason around 25% of the time I experience disconnects in POE
I do not have wireless devices on this network (hence the statement "I do not need wireless) :)
Wired connection (answered by stating I do not need wireless ;) )

I posted my questions before any of those answers were there.. or at least they were not showing up on my end. Said you had posted 5 minutes before I replied.

Do you have all the correct ports opened up for POE? I remember back when I played it, it was a huge pain to get everything opened up that it wanted.

The (currently) full list of outgoing ports is:

and the range 32768 - 61000

As far as routers, I currently have a TP-LINK Archer C5400
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704302&ignorebbr=1

Pretty much all consumer oriented routers are going to include wireless nowdays.

If you only want wired, they are mostly going to be business oriented, but here is a TP-LINK for a whopping $53
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704130

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is just plug the computer right into the cable and remove the router. This will confirm its the router.

Assuming its the router you could try reinstalling the firmware/setting it back to factory default.

TP-LINK products tend to be good for the price....if you really want to fix it...pfsense...

Reactions: rma
like this
I posted my questions before any of those answers were there.. or at least they were not showing up on my end. Said you had posted 5 minutes before I replied.

<snip>

Yeah there was some wonkiness going on when I originally posted...I hit Enter to drop down a line to type the rest of the message but, for some reason, it posted the message when the mouse cursor wasn't anywhere near the post button...

Sorry about the miscommunication.

I do have all the ports you listed open for POE.

I don't have a screenshot of my results because I'm not on that computer but if you look at a sample screenshot of WinMTR's output using google images, you can see each hop in the connection. When I'm getting disconnects the packet loss jumps to 100% in one of the last 3 hops while "my" packet loss at the router is 0%

However, in about 25% of the disconnects I see my router dropping 100% of the packets.

I had a TPLink 10/100 I used to use as an emergency backup router and, in that role, it did a serviceable job for about 6 months but it died so I've shied away from them since. Not saying they don't make good kit, just saying they weren't first on my list but I'll check them out. Every company has put out bad units at one time or another (My original asus actually caught fire after ~10 minutes of use, lol)

The first thing I would do is just plug the computer right into the cable and remove the router. This will confirm its the router.

Assuming its the router you could try reinstalling the firmware/setting it back to factory default.

TP-LINK products tend to be good for the price....if you really want to fix it...pfsense...

With the problem being intermittent, this is something I've already done, though it was difficult to do. (I should have mentioned that in my Original Post. Sorry for leaving that out.)

With the Router bypassed, every single disconnect I experience in POE is on the POE side of the connection.

It always happens at the 3rd to last or 2nd to last, or last hop in the chain. Basically once it enters Level 3's network (or whatever they're called...I don't have the screenshots in front of me.)

I'll check out the TPLink Archer on Amazon later today. I had 1 bad unit from them but, after 35yrs of computing, I've had bad units of one thing or another from just about every mfgr at this point, lol.

@notrat - If it isn't too late, I would highly suggest returning that TP-Link and going with the Edgerouter that Shadohh posted. If you don't need wireless, they are great products. If you want to add wireless later, just connect one of their APs and you are golden.

Reactions: rma
like this
Why not get a cheap POE switch and attach that to a router? Netgear and TP-link are all metal and Netgear often comes with a lifetime warranty.

BTW: POE burnout is usually the result of a cable not rated for POE.

Why not get a cheap POE switch and attach that to a router? Netgear and TP-link are all metal and Netgear often comes with a lifetime warranty.

BTW: POE burnout is usually the result of a cable not rated for POE.

Lol - he's talking about PoE the game (Path of Exile), not Power over Ethernet.

Back