Think I fried my usb ports. How to be sure?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Couple weeks ago in a motherboard I turned on the machine all the usb devices locked up and had to force a reset of the system. Since then weird things have been going on with the usb devices randomly locking up and not coming back on after replugging them back. Hopefully its just driver corruption?

Thank god I have a few months left on the warranty..

Thanks

Last edited:
Try uninstalling and re-installing of USB drivers. You may get lucky. If not, RMA it before the warranty runs out, but yeah the USB ports may be fried.

I tried installing an updated intel system driver package without luck, but last night uninstalled the usb bus controller in device manager and havent noticed anything yet but its random. Will probably force me into an early upgrade cycle. Sell the warranty refurb they send me on ebay.

Thanks

I did that last night and havent noticed anything yet but its random. Will probably force me into an early upgrade cycle. Sell the warranty refurb they send me on ebay.

Thanks
other option would be to get a pcie usb controller card

Had a pre-existing condition not related to usb issue going back a year. Asus offered an Rma i never took them up on. So I could go with that. And I have a paper trail to prove it.

Standard advice #1: download a Linux live image (e.g. LinuxMint) and run that from a usb stick if your computer will boot from that or a dvd if you have one and need to boot from that. If all your ports and devices work OK then its clearly the software and you may need a complete Windows reinstall. Standard device #2: open up the Device Manager and check the Properties for each USB device and make sure the damn Power Management option is Unchecked so that Windows isn't trying the power down any USB ports (my personal candidate for stupidest option ever).

Back