Think I found a Winner!

Wow, that is not bad at all. 1GB of RAM is nice to see in a lappy especially at that price range.

MIHR = Man, I Hate Rebates.

Good price, if you actually get the rebates which sometimes people have issues with, but you could probably do better. Dell is selling a Core Duo laptop these days for around $650 delivered. It'll eat that Turion alive and you'll have money left over to get more RAM than the HP has stock.

But, for a general purpose laptop it's fine. Good luck if you choose it...

Mail in rebates = DO NOT BUY.

Sorry, i've been burned one too many times. Maybe check out Best Buy, even though i hate them but they have some sweet laptop deals if you can stand the upselling (which drove me up the wall)

CompUSA has been sued multiple times for offering mail in rebates and refusing to pay up when you send in your rebate. Basically when I see a price that has MIR, just take for granted you'll never see your rebates come in, and thats the price you'll be paying.

I sortof got something like this from costco. Except mine ended up with a duo, nvidia 7400, etc....

I went to the costco website, they didn't have anything special, unless in store they carry different things than online..

Actually, only thing i dont like about the router is the damn video card...why would they put something so weak in here?

Ripped85 said:
Actually, only thing i dont like about the router is the damn video card...why would they put something so weak in here?

To keep the price of the router cheap. Any router with a good video card costs alot more than this router you have linked here. :D

Ripped85 said:

You put router in your post.
:D

My wife has the Compaq version of this machine. The differences being she sprung for the bluetooth, bigger battery, and bigger/faster HDD. She loves it, and honestly I can't really fault it. It has the best speakers I've ever heard on a laptop, she gets 6 hours of battery, the wireless signal is great, and it runs very cool. I've played HL2, UT2K4, and NCAA2006 on it just fine. It has major trouble with "Chronicles of Riddick"(unfortunately her favorite game), and I haven't had the heart to try FEAR or DOOM3 on it. She uses it mostly for the Adobe Creative suite(she trains graphic artists), and it is more than enough machine for that.

Mark Larson said:
Mail in rebates = DO NOT BUY.

Sorry, i've been burned one too many times. Maybe check out Best Buy, even though i hate them but they have some sweet laptop deals if you can stand the upselling (which drove me up the wall)

Ive had the worst expereince with HP branded hardware, I closed the window soon as I saw it said HP Pav...

HP = Do not buy

ok..so no HP..and my gf needs the notebook really soon, so waiting for dell to ship won't work..you guys know of any really good deals around? She won't go more than $700..and she'd PREFER less.

She mainly uses it for chatting online and bullshit like that...nothing crazy.

If she just needs a machine to do basic websurfing and chat, I'd still recommend the Dell E1505 in the standard config shown on TV which is:

Inspiron E1505
Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
512MB Shared* Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
60GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Free 725 Printer
Free Shipping & Handling

$659, and the free shipping can save upwards of $60 or so depending on what you chose.

It burns CDs in that config, but not DVDs - it can just play them. Plenty of RAM, plenty of hard drive space, and printer to boot. Really, it's tough to beat that package - and it's dual core.

Or you could go even cheaper and get one of the B series Inspirons in the $400-500 range. Either way, it'll be a good deal.

bbz_Ghost said:
If she just needs a machine to do basic websurfing and chat, I'd still recommend the Dell E1505 in the standard config shown on TV which is:

Inspiron E1505
Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
512MB Shared* Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ, 1 DIMM
60GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
Free 725 Printer
Free Shipping & Handling

$659, and the free shipping can save upwards of $60 or so depending on what you chose.
Just so you know the THread starter said in the post right before yours dell won't
be a choice...

I agree with hity645, i was just at bestbuy lookign at their laptops and they have some reasonable stuff for your price range

I'd like to know what the beef with HP is.

I've personally dealt with about 15 HP notebooks and around 150 Compaqs(was our corporate partner). They weren't always tops in specs, but I all those I saw one failed motherboard, and one powerpack go bad.

Acer is another option you could look at. They make some very competitively priced notebooks.

Ripped85 are you located in Austin? For some reason when I was looking at laptops at CompUSA on Monday there was a guy there with his girlfriend looking at that model...

Back