Think I broke my video card. What to do?

Xee

[H]ard|Gawd
A few days ago I turned on my computer (specs in my sig) and saw this:

gg8JtqD.jpg

It was pretty much unresponsive and a minute later I got a BSOD and the screen just went black and I had to manually turn it down.

I didn’t turn it on again for a few days but when I did everything looked normal. I thought it might be an overheating issue so I went into ATI’s Catalyst Manager and set the fans in Performance Overdrive to 75%. Still, about five minutes into it the screen started going crazy again. While I still had some control, and not knowing what else to do, I restarted and went into the BIOS. The screen went back to normal and I started looking through the menus seeing if there was anything I could do. About a minute into this, artifacts showed up on the screen again. I hit an arrow key to go to another menu and everything was normal again. I waited another five minutes but the screen stayed normal. Out of ideas, I exited without saving changes and went back to the desktop. I waited, but the artifacts never came back even after half an hour.

For the next couple of days I would repeat this process every time the artifacts would appear. Go to the BIOS, wait a minute for the artifacts to reappear, hit an arrow key, and then go back to the desktop. I knew this wasn’t a permanent fix though so I decided to completely uninstall the ATI drivers and do a fresh install. When I was prompted to reboot, I instead shut down the computer to get inside the case just to make sure dust wasn’t an issue. Let’s just say, I realized how long it had been since I had cleaned out my comp. The heat sink for my CPU had a carpet of dust on it which I was able to almost completely peel off at one time. My video card looked okay until I took it out and shot some compressed air into it. I eventually built up a small pile of dust that had been sitting inside of it.

I cleaned everything out as best as I could by hand (I plan on taking it out to the garage to have a meeting with the air compressor later), put it back together, and booted it up. I installed SpeedFan to monitor my temps and saw a huge improvement in my GPU temps. Before I shut down the computer to clean it I checked and saw that, with the fans at 75%, I was around 60C at idle. Now, with the fans at 40%, I was around 53C.

For a few days everything was great, temperatures were well within spec for the CPU and vid card, and I thought I had adverted disaster. Then, starting yesterday, the ATI driver atikmpag.sys started failing repeatedly, even when I was just browsing Firefox. Thinking the new 13.1 driver was conflicting with Firefox, I switched to Chrome and everything seemed good for a while but then atikmpag.sys started crashing again. I finally got fed up with it and shut it down.

Now I don’t really know what to do. I’m kind of getting pissed off with the entire thing. Could it be possible that I permanently screwed up my card and just need to replace it? Are the ATI drivers not playing nice with my system (Vista-64)? I was planning on swapping in an HD4870 I have but it takes two 6-pin power connectors and I currently only have one available. To get to the other one, I’m almost going to have to completely disassemble my computer since I tucked it away back when built this comp. Additionally, I’m not even sure if my PSU can support the extra load. Here’s what I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I don't think you destroyed your card. It seems like it is a driver issue atm.

The only thing I could suggest is a fresh install of windows and drivers. But be prepared if that does not fix the issue.

Good luck.

I don't think you destroyed your card. It seems like it is a driver issue atm.

The only thing I could suggest is a fresh install of windows and drivers. But be prepared if that does not fix the issue.

Good luck.

Drivers while in the BIOS screen? Not.

Fastest way to troubleshoot is to buy another card, put it in, see what happens. Pretty simple.

Your 750w psu can more than handle a single 4870. Swap it out and see what happens.

try the gpu in another system. If it continues there, bad card. If not, something else in your system is bad.

I'm sure you've thought of this already but do you have onboard graphics you can try?

I'm sure you've thought of this already but do you have onboard graphics you can try?

Wish I did but my board doesn't come with it. That's definitely going to be a requirement for my next build.

I would download 3dmark06 or 3dmark vantage (not 11, it has prerendered scenes) and see if you can emulate the artifcating with one of those programs.

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up having to move around a hard drive and reroute some cabling to get the 4870 to fit and get another 6-pin for it. Luckily my wife helped me otherwise it probably would have taken twice as long.

Anyway, I've been running it for about an hour and have yet to see any driver failures or artifacts. I'm going to wait until I figure out how to get SpeedFan to control the GPU fan speeds before I try and put any load on it, so I'm not celebrating yet. Still, it looks promising.

Thanks again.

This is a bit drastic, but if you wanted to get the 4850 working and you've tried everything else above, you might want to try to re-paste the GPU with new thermal paste. I did this for my friends old card, and it lowered the idle temps by 15C. Anyway, just an idea....

Back