Think I am done with DLC

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
I have been one of the few people that I remember who were fine paying extra for DLC when the concept was still relatively new about 3-4 years ago but lately I have realized that any DLC that I purchased never gets played. I am now officially done with DLC since it is a complete waste of time unless it is something similar to BF series Premium version.

My last few DLC purchases have completely gone to waste and I have not had any motivation to play through DLC that I already own. Some examples include:

Borderlands 2 Season Pass. Didn't play a single mission in it.
Batman Arkham Origins Season Pass. Didn't play anything except for Cold Freeze or something which was decent.
Mordor Season Pass. Didn't Sauron DLC yet. Sauron fight intrigues me but I may just end up uninstalling the game when it still has a positive impression on me.
Lords of Shadow 2 Alucard DLC. Started playing it but then was weary of the game and did not finish.
Battlefield 4 Premium. Played only first DLC maps. Since then, haven't even seen the new maps or reimagining of old maps.
Ass Creed 4 BF DLC. Never played the Black dude's story in that game and now started Rogue and see him so might fire it up. What a pain in the ass.
Farcry 4 DLC. No plans to play the Yeti nonsense DLC.
COD AW. Bought the season pass. Due to low number of players, I can't even login to online service in my region. Seriously, I have been unable to find a single game for past 2 months in that game and haven't even tested the DLC.

Ofcourse AW was the last straw in this nonsense. I am not buying DLC again.

Last edited:
Why did you buy a bunch of shit you weren't even ready to play? We're you just looking to burn $20 or $30 and figured "Oh this DLC for a game I am not even playing yet looks good!"? Or did you absolutely feel the need to preorder the deluxe $80 copy of every game since it came bundled with DLC and was "$10 off!"?

This doesn't sound like a problem with DLC, it sounds like you are absolutely terrible with money.

The only preorder of DLC was for CODAW. Rest all DLC was purchased at highly discounted prices. However, even then I have no motivation to play them as the DLC quality is generally poor and does not extend the story in any way or form. The last DLC that I actually felt was worth the price was BioShock Infinite Burial At Sea DLC. Before that, it was BF3 Premium pack.

Why did you buy a bunch of shit you weren't even ready to play? We're you just looking to burn $20 or $30 and figured "Oh this DLC for a game I am not even playing yet looks good!"? Or did you absolutely feel the need to preorder the deluxe $80 copy of every game since it came bundled with DLC and was "$10 off!"?

This doesn't sound like a problem with DLC, it sounds like you are absolutely terrible with money.

This ^

Might be worth reading the thread than quoting presumptuous nonsense.

I didn't presume anything, you are the one who listed a couple hundred dollars of DLC you wasted money on. You are like one of those hoarders that buys stuff on sale and stuffs it in a basement for twenty years because you "might need it someday" :p You even went down the "it was heavily discounted" path of excuses :D

That's what made me quit Borderlands. When all the DLC started rolling out for the second one I literally could not keep track of what DLC did what and if I already had it in a bundle from elsewhere or a season pass or what the fuck. I've played a grand total of 30 minutes in the last year or more thanks to their money making scheme. I really liked those games too.

The BL2 DLC will go down in my book as the best DLC for any game, ever. If you didn't give them any time of day, sucks to be you. I played through all of them multiple times each. So damn fun.

I didn't presume anything, you are the one who listed a couple hundred dollars of DLC you wasted money on. You are like one of those hoarders that buys stuff on sale and stuffs it in a basement for twenty years because you "might need it someday" :p You even went down the "it was heavily discounted" path of excuses :D

Of the ones I quoted.

BL2 DLC = 10
AO = 5
Mordor = 10
Alucard = 3.75
BF4 Premium = 25
Ass Creed BF = 5
FC 4 DLC = Didn't pay lol
AW = 35

Not seeing the hundreds of dollars but great de rail of the thread.

Ok so if it is only $93.75 wasted, it is totally fine then? Got it!

Also you are further backing up my point that you just bought crap because it was cheap and not because you were going to use it.

Wow, you finally got the point of the thread. Still partially but you got it.
With the exception of AW, I loved the originals and expected more depth to the story or enhancements to the gameplay formula through DLC.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for the DLCs offered by the games I quoted. Hence, why I am done with DLC.

Wow, you finally got the point of the thread. Still partially but you got it.
With the exception of AW, I loved the originals and expected more depth to the story or enhancements to the gameplay formula through DLC.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for the DLCs offered by the games I quoted. Hence, why I am done with DLC.

I usually find that DLC isn't worth it. Now I could see myself enjoying DLC if I had enough time to get REALLY involved in games. But I can't. I have a son now, and there's just no way that with all the chores that I have to do in the weekend that I'll have time to play any DLC - let alone the original game. :eek:

eh, DLC soured on me after gearbox dicked the season pass holders for BL2. I like the DLC where it becomes part of the game, like oblivion & fallout 3. I hate the dlc that plays outside the game and is short. Lots of games I simply don't bother, long campaign, to add a couple of hours? Nope. Weapons and other shit - that is annoying.

I am done buying Season Passes, that's for sure. Only one I have bought that was marginally worthwhile was the Bioshock Infinite one.

I ONLY buy dlc when it's on sale and when it's for a game I want to see more of. Not a fan of just rewarding companies without them earning it.

The only preorder of DLC was for CODAW. Rest all DLC was purchased at highly discounted prices. However, even then I have no motivation to play them as the DLC quality is generally poor and does not extend the story in any way or form. The last DLC that I actually felt was worth the price was BioShock Infinite Burial At Sea DLC. Before that, it was BF3 Premium pack.

Agreed in most cases. At least when DLC is released after I have played the main game. By the time the new DLC gets release I will have forgotten the controls, parts of the story, ect. This was a problem for me with Dishonored's DLC. By the time I was getting the hang of the controls again, the DLC ended. I also lost some interest in the overall plot and failed to remember certain references to the main game up front. This lessened the overall experience for me. This is why I prefer to play a game in a few sittings and wait for DLC to come out so I can play it immediately after.

Although I find smaller DLCs to be less worthwhile overall. An example would be Mass Effect 2's DLC. Two DLCs added two new characters, which were more or less worthless. While the side missions/sub plots were nice they hardly added much to the game. And it certainly made the overall game feel more repetitive (do X task for Y character so they "trust" you). I would have preferred a more substantial 8-10 hour DLC that added a more meaningful subplot, or added more detail to the main story.

I have a similar experience. For some reason, DLC rarely captivates me, even for games I really enjoy. Skyrim immediately comes to mind. It's one of my highest played games, I aboslutely love it. Seemed like a no-brainier to get the DLC. I've never finished either of them. Got partly through both, but I just don't find them particularly engaging. The same happened with Fallout 3. The first time I played it, I played a couple of the DLCs, but not all of them. I recently replayed it, and the first DLC I hit was The Pitt, as I knew I never did that one. It really was almost tedious for some reason. I pushed through it as fast as I could to get back to the main game, and ignored all the other DLC after that.

Borderlands is another example. With both games, I had the season pass. In both cases, it seemed like I enjoyed the first DLC, as they came out while I was still actively playing the games. Subsequent DLCs though, never had interest in. I did eventually beat them all in BL1, but I can't say I got the same enjoyment as I did out of the regular game. As for BL2, I finished the first two. The Hammerlock DLC I straight up don't like. Tiny Tina I actually really enjoyed the presentation, but hated the setting (I generally don't get into dark / dreary / nighttime gamess). I never did end up finishing it. I'm playing through Pre-Sequal right now, but I will not be getting any DLC.

Even in the case of Battlefield, I've always had premium, but I never fully utilize it. And in both cases, it wasn't because I had stopped playing the game this time. It was more like, by the time DLC 4 and 5 come out, I've become so familiar with the first three + base game that I don't want to be bothered learning new maps, I just want to play the one I know I like. Hell, in the case of BF3, I really loved Karkand, Close Quarters, and Aftermath. Those three DLCs represent my favorite maps probably in all of Battlefield. The other two, I haven't even played more than a handful of times. I probably haven't played all their maps. BF4 was far worse. I liked second assault. China Rising and Naval Strike I didn't care much for, and similarly to BF3, I don't think I've played the others more than a few times. As it is, I all but stopped playing BF4 in favor of going back to BF3. I like its maps much more.

So true. I am not going to be buying any DLC. For Hardline also I just bought the base game albiet also significantly discounted. I am going to not bother myself with revisiting games since so many games are released and with 3 core platforms it is becoming hard to keep up. I even bought Forza Horizon Stormy Island DLC. Played a bit and gave up on it and moved on to a different game. It is just a waste of money for me now and given the general poor quality of DLC, not going to indulge.

P.S. I still have Skyrim installed in the hopes that I will play the DLC someday. It has been 2 years since I even clicked the icon on my desktop. lol

Curious that hardcore Skyrim player did not finish the DLCs. Dragonborn was great and I did not find Dawnguard bad either. Content-wise the stuff is on par or even superior to the main game. Best DLC is something meaty like BL2, New Vegas or Skyrim DLCs (except Hearthfire). Mini-expansions basically.

Poor DLC is the stuff that is either pretty much fluff (couple items you never need in a game) or short and dull missions that barely add any value to the game. Not hot on DLC multiplayer map expansions either, since it will just split the community to haves and have-nots.

Curious that hardcore Skyrim player did not finish the DLCs. Dragonborn was great and I did not find Dawnguard bad either. Content-wise the stuff is on par or even superior to the main game. Best DLC is something meaty like BL2, New Vegas or Skyrim DLCs (except Hearthfire). Mini-expansions basically.

Poor DLC is the stuff that is either pretty much fluff (couple items you never need in a game) or short and dull missions that barely add any value to the game. Not hot on DLC multiplayer map expansions either, since it will just split the community to haves and have-nots.

Dragonborn is what I'm (slowly) working on now, and it's my least favorite.

Honestly, I'm not totally sure why even these larger DLCs I cannot really get into. Maybe it's just the tacked on feel of them.

Sometimes things just work out weird.

Still waiting for a suitable new GPU to revist Skyrim (with heavy mods this time) and the DLC. I've had Skyrim since launch but haven't really gone back to touch it after the initial months (other than to test new GPUs, 7950 and 770 were not suitable for different reasons).

On a related note I actually haven't ever played through (completely, properly) Morrowind's main quest even though I've played Bloodmoon and Tribunal.

Also haven't played the last DLC for Fallout New Vegas nor did I play Shivering Isles for Oblivion even though I have them both.

I have done all of FO:3 though.

Sometimes things just work out weird.

Still waiting for a suitable new GPU to revist Skyrim (with heavy mods this time) and the DLC. I've had Skyrim since launch but haven't really gone back to touch it after the initial months (other than to test new GPUs, 7950 and 770 were not suitable for different reasons).

On a related note I actually haven't ever played through (completely, properly) Morrowind's main quest even though I've played Bloodmoon and Tribunal.

Also haven't played the last DLC for Fallout New Vegas nor did I play Shivering Isles for Oblivion even though I have them both.

I have done all of FO:3 though.

Shivering Isles I actually really liked, I'd say thats one of the most noteworthy DLCs I've ever played.

I just started up New Vegas (modded) and I'm giving it another chance. The first time I played it, I never finished it. I'm not sure why, but it didn't captivate me like FO3 did. So far I'm enjoying it, but I still have a ways to go to even get to where I last left off. Hopefully it will continue to captivate me to the end.

I am now officially done with DLC since it is a complete waste of time unless it is something similar to BF series Premium version.

My last few DLC purchases have completely gone to waste and I have not had any motivation to play through DLC that I already own. Some examples include:

Battlefield 4 Premium. Played only first DLC maps. Since then, haven't even seen the new maps or reimagining of old maps.
COD AW. Bought the season pass. Due to low number of players, I can't even login to online service in my region. Seriously, I have been unable to find a single game for past 2 months in that game and haven't even tested the DLC.

I am not buying DLC again.

Sounds to me like you don't even know what you want, have no self control, and are a total sucker for the advertising BS.

You'll be buying DLC again, just like i'll be buying more steam games I'll never play.

OP, gotta stop impulse buying. I only buy DLC if I REALLY enjoyed the main game and even then I might wait for the DLC to be on sale or on sale in a bulk pack before I buy.

I know how you feel, because in the past I've bought sale games on Steam that I ended up not really caring to play or couldn't get into (fortunately they were cheap!). I did eventually play most of those games (and actually enjoyed many) because I don't like wasting money, but when it comes to DLC you need to ask yourself if you liked the base game enough to invest more into it.

Yeah when a game like Warface is more populated then COD AW Havok you know something is wrong.

Most of the time the DLC is offered at a lower price with the pre-order of the game initially to suck you in and then the price goes up. So you feel that you may purchase it later if the game is a hit and then will pay more...Most of the time this is NOT the case as we know.
I totally agree with the OP and I have been in the same situation. It is not about wasting money as the second reply would suggest and that reply was more of troll than informative because he just restated what the OP was trying to convey...more cowardly and pointless attempts to slam someone trying to convey their feelings on a subject instead of offering a constructive reply ....

Shivering Isles I actually really liked, I'd say thats one of the most noteworthy DLCs I've ever played.

I just started up New Vegas (modded) and I'm giving it another chance. The first time I played it, I never finished it. I'm not sure why, but it didn't captivate me like FO3 did. So far I'm enjoying it, but I still have a ways to go to even get to where I last left off. Hopefully it will continue to captivate me to the end.

Going to take advantage of the current GPU situation to go back and play through these. Should be fine enough for these even with the heavier mods but not enough for Skyrim.

FO3 and NV seem similar on the surface but because of the fundemntal setting difference they actually feel rather different in play which is why quite a few people like one but not the other. Persoanlly I liked both, although NV more just because it was slightly more iterative nad polished, the setting of both appealed to me so that wasn't a factor.

I have bought every piece of DLC for the Forza series, and will continue to do so. no one pack may seem worthwhile, but taken as a whole, they added between 20-25% more content, which is huge for racer/collector.

I also enjoyed all the ME series add-ons, whether it was new characters or new story arcs, and arguably the final ME3 DLC was a better finish for the series than the games sequences.

had a lot of fun with DA:O, FO3 and FO:NV dlc as well, but I also played the hell out of the core games.

DLC only makes since if you are looking for an excuse to keep playing the core game. if you have to push your self to finish the core game, why buy anything that adds to that burden?

Good! Be done with it. It’s liberating just to ignore all of it. Let everyone else whine about it while I’ll be too busy enjoying the game.

Maybe you should just stop buying stuff you don't like? I find my money goes farther when I spend it on things I actually want and am going to use.

Talking about self control etc. I do agree that at times I bought the DLC simply because the advert of it looked cool or the total value was miniscule (3-10 bucks) that it was a rather easy decision to indulge given that I had thoroughly enjoyed the main game and had a precedent to expect better or at least similar quality from the DLC.

Hence, the thread. No more sucker for DLC. Just play the main game and move on. Games already are wearing me out and unless it is an RPG or BF equivalent premium edition with expectation to double the quantity of maps/playability of the game, I am not going to indulge in these nickel and dime DLCs as they actually move me from positive impression of the game to a negative one.

Perfect example is Mordor and Lord of the Hunt DLC. I did maybe 2 missions and then they threw the routine of branding 5 warchiefs nonsense and I was like. Seriously, you ran out of ideas. Closed game and moved on in life. Now Sauron DLC and trailer had me pumped but I am not running it for fear of repetitive nature of it.

DLC is trash, as are most games at launch. I'm not in elementary school so I can wait on games until they have a special with all the DLC included. Plus by that time the majority of bugs are fixed.

it's a case by case basis for me...I rarely buy DLC but most of the ones I've bought have been fantastic- Fallout 3 and New Vegas had some great ones, one of the Harley Quinn Arkham ones, Dark Souls 2 DLC was better then the base game etc

I always say this, but many times I get sucked into it for multiplayer DLC... As for single player games, I try to wait until the seasonpass is bundled with the game for cheap like with a definitive edition or GOTY or whatever else dumb name they can think of to call it.

I only buy expansion packs for games like TES and Civilization series. The rest of that shit can pound sand.

Go play Borderlands 2 DLC - Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. It is the best DLC I have ever played.

Ok so if it is only $93.75 wasted, it is totally fine then? Got it!

Also you are further backing up my point that you just bought crap because it was cheap and not because you were going to use it.

Holy hell, I feel this way every time a steam sale happens. Sad owner of 200+ titles now, lmao.

DLC still annoys me though. ESPECIALLY with Dungeon Defenders. Loved that game so dearly until they decided to start patching >.<

Hence, the thread. No more sucker for DLC. Just play the main game and move on. Games already are wearing me out and unless it is an RPG or BF equivalent premium edition with expectation to double the quantity of maps/playability of the game

My problem is that I'm sick of the first 10hrs of pretty much every genre.

In RPG's you're stuck playing tutorials and slowing getting introduced to gameplay elements piecemeal (that you already understand cuz its just a variation of another game)
In (unlock based) FPS you're stuck with the default weapons and often core toolsets before you can get the "feel" of the whole game
In platformers / puzzle games, you're stuck playing all the idiot-friendly parts that just aren't challenging at all.

Expansions / DLC often assume you already know all the basics, so its just the core gameplay/challenge directly. I'm perturbed I'm expected to pay for this when the aforementioned "tutorial" section is virtually the length of the entire main game.

Back