There is a good article about Memorial Day posted at Forbes that we highly recommend reading.
Beyond that one moment at 3pm, how can we honor the true significance of Memorial Day? The Memorial Day Foundation, an organization formed to increase awareness and respect for Memorial Day, recommends a few gestures of respect:
It’s also important that we impart the true meaning of this holiday to our children, so that they grow up understanding that Memorial Day is not about our own pleasure but about honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
- Wear a Memorial Day Button from the first of May until Memorial Day.
- Visit cemeteries and place flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes.
- Fly the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon. Memorial Day is a day of “National Mourning.”
- Attend religious services of your choice.
- Visit memorials.
- Renew a pledge to aid the widows, and orphans of our fallen dead, and to aid the disabled veterans.