Thin Fan Mod (Cooler Master XtraFlo 120mm)

Pantera_666

Weaksauce
Hi Guys! I've been working on a small project lately, and i wanted to share it with you guys, nothing really special...

Ok so i'm a former fan of LED lights, and i love to put them just everywhere i can in my rig, without making a xmas tree, and reasonably good looking for my taste :)

I'm looking forward to use the upcoming PSU SX700 from Silverstone, and as you can imagine it uses (pretty sure about it) the same fan like the one in the SX500, similar to the Cooler Master XtraFlo 120mm fan...

So i wanted to add some spice to this PSU, like i've been done in the past with ATX PSUs, by replacing the stock fan with one with LEDs...

The thing is that there isn't any slim fan with LEDs that i like, and i love the Thermaltake Riing, but it only comes in a thick version...

So i was wondering... What could happen if we fuse the Riing and the XtraFlo?????

(...DBZ fusion FX sound...)

fan mod.png

fan mod a.png

fan mod b.png

fan mod f.png

Ta daaa!!! :)

All the advantages of a slim fan, but with the colorful style of the Riing fan!!!

I know that's not a big deal... but i'll share the way i did it...

fan mod g.png

Basically i removed the clear acrylic from the Riing, put it into the XtraFlo, after cutting, removing and sanding the area in the middle. Then i added two 5mm RGB LEDs in parallel and i made a custom male 4-pin connector, using the wires of the LEDs. Finaly i added the rubber pads from the Riing, just because i like it, they can be removed or replaced. I'm pretty sure that the final thickness is less than the original like between 1-2mm, so that's another reason for the rubber pads...

And if anybody is wondering, no, there is no increase/decrease in the noise/airflow of the fan, the build is really solid and perfectly sealed all the way around...

The only flaw here is that the LED connector is coming out by 2mm... 5mm with the female connector pluged in... I hope that's not a problem for replacing the fan in the upcoming SX700, and if it is... I'll deal with it :)

Well guys i hope you like it, maybe you can share your fan mods here with me (if any...)

Byeee!!!

Nice mod! I have a system using an even thinner 92mm fan - Hadn't looked at options for a while, your mod makes me consider upgrading!

Thanks! I would love to see that fan of yours, is just that i can't imagine something even thinner, unless is a removed fan from a cpu cooler, like the one on the Cryorig C7

Nice mod. Last time I did a mod was quite a while ago. Now a days, I'm just too lazy.

Nice mod. Last time I did a mod was quite a while ago. Now a days, I'm just too lazy.

Thank you! :)

Well to be honest i'm also lazy to do this kind of things...

I had this mod in mind for 3 months, until i got together all my will power to start doing it... :p

But once i start to do things, i don't stop until i get it done... unlike many people :)

Back