Thin Client recommendations

Baredor

Gawd
Just wanted to poll for info on what thin clients some of you are using, and what you recommend. We have about 30 IGELs running their proprietary Linux distro and connect them to a Server 2003 box over ICA Citrix Metaframe 3. Need to buy some more, and I wanted to see if there was anything better out there. I saw IGEL is now selling their clients with a choice of Linux, imbedded XP, or Windows CE 5.0. Never messed with either Windows install on one of these; kind of scared of trying to get CE to play nice. :p

Ive used the Neoware clients, they use CE4 (NT4 style) and they work pretty good, but I just tried out one with embedded XP and its much much nicer

I have used some WYSE terminals running Windows XP Embedded, and they were pretty sweet. Very expensive, however, compared to a PC.

we use wyse 1200se and 1125se thin client models.
Pretty snappy compared with the built in linux and windows embedded models we've tested in house.

mobiux said:
we use wyse 1200se and 1125se thin client models.
Pretty snappy compared with the built in linux and windows embedded models we've tested in house.

Don't suppose you could elaborate on why they're better, and what the price range is? :)

Up to this point I'm thinking I'd really rather stay with the Linux. XP is nearly double the price, and CE... yeah I still don't know about that. CDW has HPs with Linux or CE for $299, so that's looking more and more likely. Thanks all for the input.

Sun has new thin clients in the same brushed aluminum as all their new stuff. It looks pretty sweet.:)

Baredor said:
Don't suppose you could elaborate on why they're better, and what the price range is? :)

Up to this point I'm thinking I'd really rather stay with the Linux. XP is nearly double the price, and CE... yeah I still don't know about that. CDW has HPs with Linux or CE for $299, so that's looking more and more likely. Thanks all for the input.

The cost is lower, plus the boot time is almost instant.
We have our clients pull the config from an ftp server, then it brings up a logon and once logged into the domain it connects to the citrix farm and displays the published apps to the person.

Performance is better that what we got from an older NT thin client and the brand new wyse linux model. But those models do offer local browsers and things like that.

I just like the complete remote administration of Wyse's proprietary OS.

Back