Thief Reboot (coming 2014)

there are around 3 review sites that I trust...Eurogamer is one of them...they give Thief a 6/10...

"Thief is a frustrating game as much as it is a disappointing one. There are glimmers of what could have been: the exquisite concept art used in the loading screens shows the care and attention that's gone into conceptualising this dim-lit world...At times the game suffers from a lack of ambition, placing far too much importance on the tiresome looting of endless cupboards and dressers in the vain hope that this will be enough to propel you forwards. In other places, Thief suffers from too much ambition, unable to draw its systems into a cohesive whole. Whether the game simply needed more time or entirely different foundations is never quite clear. Either way, it's a game that adds up to less than the sum of its parts. Undeniably, Thief suffers greatly by comparison to Dishonored...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-thief-review

IGN and Gamespot both gave the game 6's also IGN reviewer said:

"Hi everyone, I reviewed Thief, and I’m happy to answer whatever questions you might have about it. Lay’em on me! Unfortunately we weren't given access to Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions (generally not a good sign), so we’ll have to wait until tomorrow to check it out. I recommend not jumping on it early."

You know the secret to avoiding bad pre-orders? Stop pre-ordering :)

Then, do as suggested and play Dishonored again.

"Maybe this will convince me not to preorder a game"

Said everyone who preordered this game.

Seen on another forum: "I wouldn't even pirate this slop."

"Maybe this will convince me not to preorder a game"

Said everyone who preordered this game.

Nope. I won't even read the reviews. Come tomorrow I will play for myself and decide what I think about the game. If I don't like it I will take mental notes about what works and what does, add it as one of the few times I have made a mistake pre-ordering and move on with my life. I will still pre-order some games and not others.

you can find AMD Never Settle gaming codes for Thief on online forums (like [H]) for cheap which makes pre-ordering a foolish move...what does pre-ordering get you?...pre-ordering is great if you've already made up your mind and intend to buy it no matter what anyone says but nowadays most people are more careful after being burned with titles such as Colonial Marines, Hitman Absolution, CoD: Ghosts etc

bought it even though I knew it'd been through development hell, which pretty much never is a good thing.

a) I've already played Dishonored. I loved Dishonored, but I don't want to play it again.
b) It's useful to play bad games from time to time.
c) This game hasn't been 'full price' in forever. I did not pay "60 dollars" for my copy.
d) I'm okay with it not being a Thief-thief. I don't hold the nostalgia of that series like some fans do.

Reviews are all over ht eplace for this game, can't decide to get it or not.

From what i've heard it seems the game itself, the stealth, thiefing, etc is fun but the story is a bit of a letdown and the level design isn't quite as open as the old thief games.

Reviews are all over ht eplace for this game, can't decide to get it or not.

From what i've heard it seems the game itself, the stealth, thiefing, etc is fun but the story is a bit of a letdown and the level design isn't quite as open as the old thief games.

Only reason I bit was for $34 via GMG. Wait.

I fully am expecting to watch yet another beloved series go down the toilet and I'm really getting pissed off about it. Why can't we get any of these games done right any more?

Consolitis is too easy off a brush off answer. That doesn't cover it.

Last edited:
I fully am expecting to watch yet another beloved series go down the toilet and I'm really getting pissed off about it.

You weren't pissed off already from the third one? Same people said the same things then. Consolized (small levels, loading) and no rope arrows at all.

Only reason I bit was for $34 via GMG. Wait.

I fully am expecting to watch yet another beloved series go down the toilet and I'm really getting pissed off about it. Why can't we get any of these games done right any more?

Consolitis is too easy off a brush off answer. That doesn't cover it.

But really it does cover it. I am looking at the two games I was really excited for this year ( Titanfall and Thief), both are suffering from consolitis. "Dumb everything down!" - Devs. What really grinds my gears is the idea that devs 'think' we want want this dumb down consolized garbage. Do they play games they make? Do they play games period? Have they ever played a game?

Titanfall now Thief, 2014 the year of disappointment and rabid consolitis.

But really it does cover it. I am looking at the two games I was really excited for this year ( Titanfall and Thief), both are suffering from consolitis. "Dumb everything down!" - Devs. What really grinds my gears is the idea that devs 'think' we want want this dumb down consolized garbage. Do they play games they make? Do they play games period? Have they ever played a game?

I guess I can't argue it put like that. Dare I hope that raising the bar with the PS4 and Xbox One will improve on this?

Only reason I bit was for $34 via GMG. I fully am expecting to watch yet another beloved series go down the toilet and I'm really getting pissed off about it.
Were you fully expecting to watch yet another beloved series go down the toilet before you gave them $34?

But I didn't like Dishonored because of the visuals.
The aesthetic or the visual quality? There's nothing remarkable about the quality in any way, but I couldn't find much fault in the aesthetic.

It's not the fact that devs think we want it, it's the suits that think games need to be this way to attract more people into buying video games. They keep reaching for that demographic that either doesn't play games or those who play mobile games. They might convert some people, but in reality they are driving away their "core" audience in doing so and shrinking the potential customer pool.

Programmers and artists most likely do not play video games, at least once they got a career. I know a lot of people I went to college with who played video games all the time. Once they got the job, though, their passion and interest in actually playing the games withered away. The few people I know who still play video games play ONE game maybe 6-8 hours a week on Steam. Most people who become designers just read books...

Myself: I got a job in a different industry, but I have become more apathetic toward gaming in general. I used to play all types of games all the time, but now it takes a real gem for me to be interested to the point where I will play it from start to finish. Most games nowadays recycle the same old tired mechanics, visual aesthetic, and story clichés.

The aesthetic or the visual quality? There's nothing remarkable about the quality in any way, but I couldn't find much fault in the aesthetic.

Dishonored just looked so bland and the textures were unremarkable. Like it was from 4 years prior. I liked the game play though, but the whole time I was disappointed by the graphics. Going to finish it one day I suppose.

Same thing with Skyrim. Graphics were terrible, but you could mod it into what you wanted. I've never played vanilla Skyrim but for the first mission before I started installing mods for more immersion. I play indie games all day and could care less about what they look like. I hold big publishers to a different standard as they charge $60 for their wares.

it's the same people on these forums that constantly pre-order games...rationalize how the game is not as bad as the reviews say...say they won't pre-order again...the cycle repeats itself...some people have their minds made up regardless of reviews or any bad press

it's the same people on these forums that constantly pre-order games...rationalize how the game is not as bad as the reviews say...say they won't pre-order again...the cycle repeats itself...some people have their minds made up regardless of reviews or any bad press

It's definitely not just the forums though. Most of the casual gamers I know pre-order everything and then complain the game sucks after they get it. Every time!

Last edited:
it's the same people on these forums that constantly pre-order games...rationalize how the game is not as bad as the reviews say...say they won't pre-order again...the cycle repeats itself

Every Thief video I have seen looks like my type of game. The only bad ones were the guys on Twitch that were hating on it. The ones on Twitch that were playing it like TotalBiscuit was playing it were having fun.

I based my order on hours of footage. :)

It's not the fact that devs think we want it, it's the suits that think games need to be this way to attract more people into buying video games. They keep reaching for that demographic that either doesn't play games or those who play mobile games. They might convert some people, but in reality they are driving away their "core" audience in doing so and shrinking the potential customer pool.

And then when the game sells poorly, they blame it on piracy. They've got some real geniuses over there in marketing... :p :rolleyes:

So you already watched other people play most of the game? :p

Just the beginning parts here and there. Skip around to another stream. Watch this guy pilfer some jewels for a bit. Skip to another stream and see a different tactic. Never watch one guy long enough to see a mission completed. Actually spend time with each streamer explaining what terms like fov mean so they stop explaining it wrong to their audience.

That type of stuff. That's how I choose which game to get at launch and what game to add to my wishlist for a Steam sale.

And then when the game sells poorly, they blame it on piracy. They've got some real geniuses over there in marketing... :p :rolleyes:
I actually haven't seen anyone really play the piracy blame game in quite some time. I probably don't keep up with it all as much as others, but it's been a long time since I've heard any developers having piracy fits.

I can't really see what is so bad with this game. I'm a rabid fan of the Thief series and while I didn't like the previews of this new game that much it was still an interesting game to me. So when I saw a pre-order deal for £15 I took it. Watched the totalbiscuit review and it actually looks promising. Can't wait to play.

Watching TB's video now...doesn't look bad, really, but it basically does just look like Dishonored, minus a lot of the combat mechanics. Graphically I am not super impressed with it.

I actually haven't seen anyone really play the piracy blame game in quite some time. I probably don't keep up with it all as much as others, but it's been a long time since I've heard any developers having piracy fits.

Yeah, that is kind of true. Then again, you don't really see them blaming the fact that the game sucked, either, so it's hard to know what they really think these days.

Dishonored just looked so bland and the textures were unremarkable. Like it was from 4 years prior.
They could've shipped with greater texel density on the PC version, sure. I can appreciate that.

Having said that, it really is a great game. And this is coming from someone who really didn't think it would be, and who was more than pleasantly surprised by it.

Most everyone has accepted Steam as viable DRM because it isn't so annoying that you'd rather gouge your eyes out than play a game. I see UBISOFT, Origin, etc as basically the same thing. Since the gaming public that is willing to buy games isn't complaining that the DRM is broken, this in turn keeps the publishers happy. Thus the people pirating the game are seen as trolls and naive thieves willing to accept trojans on their PC for a few hours of fun. Same thing as a John picking up a prostitute. Those people are willing to gamble on a disease such as HIV for 15 minutes of pleasure. What game qualities can a publisher add that would appeal to a degenerate to make them a legitimate consumer?

That's how I think publishers see pirates today. Every so often you poke them with a stick by shutting off a website they use to congregate and socialize. They are unworthy of developing for unless you're running a charity. Ban anyone hinting at they have an illegitimate copy of your game on your forums whom has the audacity to ask for technical support or suggestions for improvements. Right or wrong that's how I think publishers see pirates.

They could've shipped with greater texel density on the PC version, sure. I can appreciate that.

Having said that, it really is a great game. And this is coming from someone who really didn't think it would be, and who was more than pleasantly surprised by it.

I agree, but I almost paid full price for it and it still peeves me every time I see the low quality textures.

Speaking of low quality textures...is it me or do the textures in Thief look pretty bad? I am still watching videos of the game and a lot of the textures just look muddy and awful. I've heard this game is like a 20+ gig download, too...what is using up all of that space?

Speaking of low quality textures...is it me or do the textures in Thief look pretty bad? I am still watching videos of the game and a lot of the textures just look muddy and awful. I've heard this game is like a 20+ gig download, too...what is using up all of that space?

Probably language files and 1080p cutscenes.

I was gifted this game for X-Mas (don't think I would have bought it myself) and I like the old Thief games so... we'll see how it goes.

Back