Thief Reboot (coming 2014)

What aspect of Deadly Shadows did you like the most, and when did you first come in to the series?

The gameplay can be tedious but the game is worth playing for the atmosphere and production values alone. This is in no way the "worst game ever" as the reviews would have you believe.

The hate that is being spewed toward this game is simply shocking. This level of negativity is reserved for games that are literally bug-ridden and unplayable, which Thief is not. I believe this is a perfect case of angry nerds who simply want to ride a hate train.

The tone of the reviews are the exact reason I'm still interested in this game. They range from, "it's okay but Dishonored was better" to someone who feels personally insulted by the sheer existence of the game.

The tone of the reviews are the exact reason I'm still interested in this game. They range from, "it's okay but Dishonored was better" to someone who feels personally insulted by the sheer existence of the game.

So reviews ranging from essentially "mediocre" to "downright awful" leaves you still interested in the game? :p

So reviews ranging from essentially "mediocre" to "downright awful" leaves you still interested in the game? :p

I think it's more of the tone of the reviews. The ones that liked it (80% or either 3/4 stars out of 5) make the game sound up my alley. I liked Dishonored and some of my own gripes with that game actually look to be alleviated in this game. The 15-minute game preview video still looks good, IMO.
The "awful" reviews all sound like personal attacks or someone who has massive gripes with one single element.
I think that's why I'm still interested. The positive to OK reviews focus on the game and the negative ones always seem to go off the rails or harp on one thing.
Plus, it's the internet...
One of my friends ended up buying it for the consoles and I'm going to get his take on it.

Haven't played it yet, but most of the reviews put this game on the track to buy when it's $5 or less. Disappointing but not surprising.

I think it's more of the tone of the reviews. The ones that liked it (80% or either 3/4 stars out of 5) make the game sound up my alley. I liked Dishonored and some of my own gripes with that game actually look to be alleviated in this game. The 15-minute game preview video still looks good, IMO.
The "awful" reviews all sound like personal attacks or someone who has massive gripes with one single element.
I think that's why I'm still interested. The positive to OK reviews focus on the game and the negative ones always seem to go off the rails or harp on one thing.
Plus, it's the internet...
One of my friends ended up buying it for the consoles and I'm going to get his take on it.

Or, if you've got the cash, buy it anyway. That's what I do. I basically just buy everything, and if I don't like it, well, at least I was part of the pillage and rape of a game franchise, but a part of it nonetheless. Crazy? Sure, why not.

I liked the gameplay video, so I'll probably like the game. I have low expectations anyway.

What aspect of Deadly Shadows did you like the most, and when did you first come in to the series?

Played the second and third game in the series out of order. I played the Deadly Shadows a few weeks after release. I think it was bundled with my GPU at the time. I played the second one months after the first. I particularly liked the atmosphere and the way the story was told in Deadly Shadows. It's not quite the same in Thief (4. in parenthesis since the game is just called Thief). The story is a bit slower and right now I only know of the big plot but no apparent reason why. I wish it moved faster. Really, at this point in the game where I am, chapter 3, it seems like I'm stealing for the sake of stealing which is fun, but it's not quite tied into the story line at this point sans a few areas. It just feels like I'm sandboxing at this point, just trying to steal everything I can and explore every nook and cranny.

3 chapters in and I still basically only know what I knew in chapter 1.

And this last part is probably nitpicking, but I miss having to go to a fence to sell stuff. It just made stealing seem more rewarding. In this game, you steal something and automatically get some gold amount. No fencing needed.
EDIT: I also don't like how Garret jumps automatically. I don't know if it's the same for PC. I'm playing on console and posting here because this is a huge thread. I prefer Thief on console since, well, 110 inch projector and 7.2 surround set up. More immersion this way than on my 24 inch wide screen.

Last edited:
I'm more or less with Harkamus with this so far. Happy to see a fairly comprehensive set of graphics options including FOV. Keys are remappable. The game definitely feels a lot like Dishonored. I have all the eye candy maxed out and I like what I see. It's got higher resolution textures than Dishonored did. No way to escape Dishonored comparisons. Has a lean and peek option that I like. Good. Lockpicking was pretty simple and intuitive. I liked the "feel around to find the secret switch." Again, pretty straightforward.

You can go into Game -> HUD and turn off any all prompts, hand holders, assists, etc. I highly recommend doing this immediately. Think Deus Ex: HR. Turn it all off. Playing at Master difficulty is going to be a healthy challenge.

Last edited:
I'm more or less with Harkamus with this so far. Happy to see a fairly comprehensive set of graphics options including FOV. Keys are remappable. The game definitely feels a lot like Dishonored. I have all the eye candy maxed out and I like what I see. It's got higher resolution textures than Dishonored did.

Too early yet to offer up much more on impressions.

I'll probably be digging in soon, let me know...

I'm more or less with Harkamus with this so far. Happy to see a fairly comprehensive set of graphics options including FOV. Keys are remappable. The game definitely feels a lot like Dishonored. I have all the eye candy maxed out and I like what I see. It's got higher resolution textures than Dishonored did. No way to escape Dishonored comparisons. Has a lean and peek option that I like. Good. Lockpicking was pretty simple and intuitive. I liked the "feel around to find the secret switch." Again, pretty straightforward.

You can go into Game -> HUD and turn off any all prompts, hand holders, assists, etc. I highly recommend doing this immediately. Think Deus Ex: HR. Turn it all off. Playing at Master difficulty is going to be a healthy challenge.

Are people still unaware that Dishonored had lower res textures on purpose? The artistic style of the game was supposed to resemble a painting using oils.

It was an artistic choice for Dishonored to look the way it did. I assumed most people knew this already before playing the game.

Is it actually a better experience with all the "hand-holding" off though? As in, was the game designed to be played without them as well?

Or is it like Skyrim, where you can turn off quest markers but then you just end up getting lost for hours because the NPC's never tell you where anything is.

What's everyone thinking about the actual gameplay so far? I'm picking up my copy after work.

Gameplay feels like the previous Thief games. I like it. Be sure to actually calibrate the darkness setting to take full effect of the atmosphere created by all the darkness and shadows.

Are people still unaware that Dishonored had lower res textures on purpose? The artistic style of the game was supposed to resemble a painting using oils.

It was an artistic choice for Dishonored to look the way it did. I assumed most people knew this already before playing the game.

Yes. I liked its look. The art direction came together very well in the game.

What's everyone thinking about the actual gameplay so far? I'm picking up my copy after work.

Good.

Gameplay feels like the previous Thief games. I like it. Be sure to actually calibrate the darkness setting to take full effect of the atmosphere created by all the darkness and shadows.

I agree. I don't have any serious complaints so far.

My expectations were so friggin' low going into this thing that I'm really kind of pleasantly surprised. My original personal 7.5/10 expectation may very well be in tact the way this is going.

AceCR42 said:
Is it actually a better experience with all the "hand-holding" off though? As in, was the game designed to be played without them as well?

They designed the game well enough that it's really up to the player preference.

Or is it like Skyrim, where you can turn off quest markers but then you just end up getting lost for hours because the NPC's never tell you where anything is.

Nah, no worries there.

The gameplay can be tedious but the game is worth playing for the atmosphere and production values alone. This is in no way the "worst game ever" as the reviews would have you believe.

The hate that is being spewed toward this game is simply shocking. This level of negativity is reserved for games that are literally bug-ridden and unplayable, which Thief is not. I believe this is a perfect case of angry nerds who simply want to ride a hate train.

I agree. It's overblown.

Last edited:
Was loving the game until it got to use swoop for the 1st time; it has to be one of the clumsiest mechanics I've ever seen in game. It's like pressing space + WASD doesn't register half the time,
what is the secret to actually getting it to work?

Was loving the game until it got to use swoop for the 1st time; it has to be one of the clumsiest mechanics I've ever seen in game. It's like pressing space + WASD doesn't register half the time,

I'm not thrilled with that play mechanic, either.

Loving the mechanic myself. It's very satisfying stealing something then swooping away. Gives that master thief feel.. Glad they added it.

Have had zero issues with it registering. You can even stop it mid swoop too if you might hit a guard. Works great.

Long time Thief fan subscribing to this thread. I, like many fans of the series, was super stoked when I found out that there would be a 4th Thief game. There was a glimmer of hope that it would be as magical as the older games but I think I'm jaded enough that my expectations were significantly lower than that. I'd be extremely disappointed if this game was a steaming pile, simply because that would be a travesty, and after reading some of the comments in this thread the most I hoped for was that it was medicore. If it's better than "OK", i.e. good or great, then that's terrific.

This isn't Call of Duty 18 we're talking about here; this isn't a done-to-death series and people actually want/expect it to be good, especially after all this time. The Thief games are truly beloved by many (someone earlier said that they are held in almost a religious light and I know exactly where you were coming from on that) and when you have a hardcore fanbase like those devoted to Deus Ex or Max Payne or Hitman or Fallout or Doom or System Shock, of course we want every iteration to capture what we loved about the earlier games while lending modern touches and innovating. Not dumbing things down.

Some franchises go off the rails with a buggy, broken or dumbed down game, never to return (some people feel this way about Splinter Cell beginning with Double Agent, for example, or Hitman Absolution). Other franchises see a "meh" release but seem to get back on track later, like with Tomb Raider. What I'm hoping for is that this game will fit into the latter category. I want this to be like Deus Ex: Invisible War. It felt like a disappointment after playing the first one and everyone was let down because the main character changed and some aspects were simplified, but in all actuality it wasn't a terrible game. DX: IW is a good game that faced enormous hype (like Far Cry 2). But then DX: HR, like Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 4, came along and earned positive feedback from gamers and put the series on a high note again. So here's hoping that this won't be the last Thief game and the next one will learn from this one's mistakes and be the game we all want. If this one is a decent game that is filler until Thief 5 comes along and blows me away, I'm good with that I suppose. The problem is that a lot of the criticism that I'm seeing was levied against Deadly Shadows when it came out, and I haven't seen any comparisons of this game to DS but if this one doesn't even hold a candle to DS then we may have a problem. This one needs to at least be good. It needs to be solid...not terrible.

I am enjoying it so far. A couple of complaints here and there.. the contextual jumping and climbing is not QUITE as bad as thought it would be. The frequent loading screens are my biggest gripe. I thought they would have learned from Thief 3 ten years ago, that we HATE frequent loading screens, and maps separated into "zones" by glowy blue stuff...

The environments are really well done in terms of atmosphere. The first person "body awareness" is really cool, although sifting through 6 drawers in a desk is a little tiresome. There is a big difference in loot distribution in this game vs. the previous Thiefs. In this you might enter a room and steal 10 different small items (a pen, an ink bottle, a pair of scissors, a ring, a bracelet, a goblet, etc) when in the original games you might loot a golden vase and some coins.

Loving the mechanic myself. It's very satisfying stealing something then swooping away. Gives that master thief feel.. Glad they added it.

Have had zero issues with it registering. You can even stop it mid swoop too if you might hit a guard. Works great.

I must have a bad touch. Do you do space then directional button or simultaneous or directioal button and then space?

Been playing the pc version so far great, seems like though when I start playing it I get sleepy and drowsiness lol could it be the default fov? If so which way do you go with it up or down? Thanks

Been playing the pc version so far great, seems like though when I start playing it I get sleepy and drowsiness lol could it be the default fov? If so which way do you go with it up or down? Thanks

Usually low FOV makes people nauseous, and so you would up it at that point. If it's too high, you get a fish-eye lens effect.

Yep, got it figured out, I'm an idiot. It's a rhythm thing, I think they could have done a better job explaining it though. It's not like you're pressing and holding WASD, you just tap then SPACE. It works pretty damn well once you get the hang of it :eek:

I want to love it, but watching my rig get beat by a single card AMD 6300 (with a 270X) because it doesn't utilize crossfire, really has my panties in a wad. They claimed the new beta driver fixed any crossfire choppiness, but it is there, and in full swing. Annoying as hell and a disappointing result from AMD and the devs.

Scratch that....setting it to Exclusive Fullscreen fixed the issue and am now wiping the floor with the 270X.

Last edited:
I had trouble with swoop registering at first, but it seems that a double-tap of the spacebar is all I need to trigger it reliably and I can swoop around at will.

Swoop works beautifully on 360. What's satisfying is aerial takedowns. :D

I do miss the ole taffer thrown around in dialogue. Haven't heard it once yet.

I played it a bit more last night, and overall I like the game play. As far as story goes so far, it's nothing great but I guess it will do for the game. As far as reviews go, it's nowhere near as bad as what some of the reviews are saying. The levels have multiple paths to get around and lots of loot to pilfer if you care to look around (chap 1 took me an hour :) and I didn't even get everything). I'd say there is some replay value if you are a person who wants to really get everything. Maybe I'll change my mind after I finish it, but on master level difficulty and having not used focus once yet I'd give it a 8/10. It was IMHO worth the preorder price I paid. ;)

I pulled the trigger last night and I'm having fun so far.
Anyone else's graphics card going bananas? Mine is at 90-100% almost all of the time. My GPU fan is blazing away nearly the entire time I'm playing. I have games like BF4, Crysis 3, AC4, etc. and no other games seem to be doing that.
Performance-wise, SSAO seems to be the best thing to lower for better performance. I gain an average of 7 FPS in the benchmark by going from high to low.

After playing through the entire game, my final impression is it's not an awful game at all... in fact, it's pretty decent. It's not going to win any awards and some aspects are a mess (contextualized movements ever two feet, god-awful story, bad voice acting, dated graphics), but definitely not a franchise killer. I'd say 7.2/10. Not worth full price by any means, however, maybe $15-20.

Playing at highest settings at 1080p and smooth as butter on my laptop.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040656640&postcount=1

^^ That takes this into "why the hell not?" territory IMHO. The game is not a cataclysmic disaster and especially at that kind of price.

For $26 even I'd take a chance that I'd find the game satisfying enough even though I know it wont be like the old games I enjoyed so much.

I should replay Dark Shadows, if only to go through Shalebridge Cradle again, that mission to this day is epic.

at least it sounds better then Hitman Absolution

Absolution gets way too much [H]ate around these parts. Is it a perfect game? Hell no...but I think they did a damn good job with what they had to work with.

Back